Rancho Palos Verde

I've been considering RPV as my next target shoot. Have you flown there before?. If yes, which locations do you recommend?. I'm in Yorba Linda, I can fly there Monday the 15th if you have presidents day off. PM me if interested.

Hey John, not sure about monday. But tomorrow i think im going to scout Huntington Beach. Seacliff park. Ill be going about 8am. Im not sure how to send a PM on here, but let me know if youre down for tomorrow!

We fly Huntington Beach pier most nites at sunset you can text me 7148128671 Steve park on beach side across Dairy Queen

I've been wanting to fly the Huntington Pier. I recently flew the Balboa Pier and some surfers at Newport. Great time. I'll text you next time I'm down that way. I was actually flying at the Harriet Wieder Regional Park (SeaPoint Park on Outlook Dr) in Huntington last Saturday with bunkphenomenon, but was too foggy, couldn't fly very long, too wet.

Last edited:
Yeah, i went last sunday. I think it was called abalone cove (off PCH and Paseo Lunado). I had to work on a clients home office in Rolling Hills today and went and flew at the same place.

I used to live here for a while and I would be careful where you fly. It is within 5 miles of the Torrance airport and there are a lot of people with a lot of time on their hands to cause you greif

I used to live here for a while and I would be careful where you fly. It is within 5 miles of the Torrance airport and there are a lot of people with a lot of time on their hands to cause you greif
A couple saturdays ago an elderly lady came up and started talking to me. She lived right on the street I was flying off of. Pretty friendly and was in awe of such technology. But I hear ya, the local surfers there arent too welcoming to non locals surfing "their" home waters.

A couple saturdays ago an elderly lady came up and started talking to me. She lived right on the street I was flying off of. Pretty friendly and was in awe of such technology. But I hear ya, the local surfers there arent too welcoming to non locals surfing "their" home waters.
I was one of the local surfers there until I moved to San Diego. I would never film surfers unless you are in a secluded spot filming your buddies

I was one of the local surfers there until I moved to San Diego. I would never film surfers unless you are in a secluded spot filming your buddies
Can you please elaborate on this suggestion? Are you suggesting it too dangerous to film surfers, or surfers don't like to be filmed generally?

Can you please elaborate on this suggestion? Are you suggesting it too dangerous to film surfers, or surfers don't like to be filmed generally?
Unless it's your buddy filming you in somewhat of a secluded spot, we don't like being filmed. Especially don't go to the Cove (Malaga Cove) and fil anyone. Super territorial to the point where they will throw rocks at people just watching let alone filming (there was some drone video a couple years ago with some locals trying to down it with a rock). One of the allures of surfing is that it is peace and quiet with hopefully pumping waves. The last thing you want is this annoying buzzing thing above you. If you ever look at your footage, you will probably see a bunch of them flipping you off.

Hmm, I've never experienced surfers expressing displeasure being filmed. I do closely examine all my HD video. Most never notice my drone or they wave if they do. I guess I'll stay clear of their sacred waters.

The problem with local surfers in Palos Verdes is well known. Every once in a while an incident will create some media attention. Recently it was learned that they built their own "barbecue patio" down there (which has apparently been there for many years) and the City is trying to figure out what to do about it.

All eyes on Bay Boys during high surf at Lunada Bay

My experiences in Palos Verdes and surrounding communities have been pretty good, but I agree with your general comments. I would also add that there are **many** helicopters (Robinson is HQ'd at Torrance Airport) including police and Coast Guard helicopters, small planes, warbirds, and motorized gliders, all of which often fly right at cliff level offshore. This is not a place to fly if you are not willing to fly LOS and keep your head on a swivel.

My experiences in Palos Verdes and surrounding communities have been pretty good, but I agree with your general comments. I would also add that there are **many** helicopters (Robinson is HQ'd at Torrance Airport) including police and Coast Guard helicopters, small planes, warbirds, and motorized gliders, all of which often fly right at cliff level offshore. This is not a place to fly if you are not willing to fly LOS and keep your head on a swivel.
Most places around PV are posted no flying, which I avoid. But when I do l fly in unposted areas, 95% of the time I'm -50' below takeoff point, 10 to 25' ASL. Nobody else that's flying safely would be there except other drones. I'm always LOS to see other full scale craft, you have to be, simply to have a good connection. I set my RTH to 50' for emergencies, but have never needed it yet. From an FAA point of view most of the coastline is outside any NFZ.

upload_2016-3-29_18-41-34.png

Here's the latest story about these Lunada Bay Boy boneheads.

Lunada Bay surfer gang targeted by class-action lawsuit

It's a great place to photograph and film but unfortunately you'll need to be carful and aware. Sad.
That's good to know. I haven't been to Lunada Bay yet, but did scope it out on the Google Streetview a few weeks ago. Thanks for the warning, if I fly there I'll stay above rock throwing height.:p

I'd just say be respectful of us out in the water. Being able to speak from both sides, people that actually like to surf and are good at it will be annoyed. Just watch Lunada and Hags

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik