RageCam 5.4mm Lens

ScottH said:
Is anyone using this lens on their GoPro? I'm told it does not change weight and CG.

http://ragecams.com/shop/54mm-rectiline ... 5c48ec47d5

I am. It works fine. There are several threads about it (search on here) with some (who don't have one) postulating that there would be a weight issue with the gimbal - causing it to stall/precess in flight. In reality, there is no such problem for me on two different gimbals.

ladykate said:
I have two Ragecams - one IR and one 5.4 mm. I use them on H3-2D gimbals right now since they are both non-Phantom frames.

Ah, ok. I have a H3-2D and a 3D both on Phantom 2's. I'm very much liking the 3D gimbal but it is quite finicky. Guess I'll just have to try it. I'm sick of wasting time in post dealing with fish-eye! Thanks again.

ScottH said:
ladykate said:
I have two Ragecams - one IR and one 5.4 mm. I use them on H3-2D gimbals right now since they are both non-Phantom frames.

Ah, ok. I have a H3-2D and a 3D both on Phantom 2's. I'm very much liking the 3D gimbal but it is quite finicky. Guess I'll just have to try it. I'm sick of wasting time in post dealing with fish-eye! Thanks again.

You can balance the camera on the gimbal - just tape a coin or other small weight on the back (assuming the center is forward). I was going to do that when I heard all the nervous Nellys saying the gimbal was going to cycle off/etc. In reality, it is nearly the same balance and there was no need to fiddle with it.

As an example, I flew the 5.4 for 19.4 minutes yesterday (non-Phantom) with no problems - no cycling/freezing/precessing.

i use several 5.4mm lenses on my old P2+H3-2D and my new P2+H3-3D. i love the optics, the lack of post processing, and the non-issue regarding legs in view during filming.

I am experimenting with counter-balancing, but just because.

I higly recommend 5.4mm lens to anyone looking for a normal POV.

Kelly

sar104 said:
ScottH said:
Is anyone using this lens on their GoPro? I'm told it does not change weight and CG.

It's been stated (unverified to my knowledge) in various forums that the Ragecam 5.4 mm is just a generic Chinese surveillance camera lens with a large markup, and that the same lens is available in the US for much less. For example:

http://www.ostrc.com/collections/gopro-accessories

Nice find. i will buy that one, test drive side by side, and report back. Dennis if youre folling this thread, tell us why the $140 lens below is a poor choice.

Kelly

sar104 said:
ScottH said:

It's been stated (unverified to my knowledge) in various forums that the Ragecam 5.4 mm is just a generic Chinese surveillance camera lens with a large markup, and that the same lens is available in the US for much less. For example:

Interesting. 500 for a black, 150 for the lens, a buck or three for misc, 20 for an HDMI cable to focus it. There is a video out there on how to remove the factory lens (some risk there).

I got my black with 5.4 by doing some price comparison and negotiating. You can also pick them up on eBay (Ragecams always has a couple on auction there). I ended up getting lucky so I have less in them than it would be worth building one for. But they are still not cheap.

I have done the lens change and it's not rocket science. No more challenging that soldering up VTx or similar Phantom assembly/maintenance ops.

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
sar104 said:
ScottH said:

Nice find. i will buy that one, test drive side by side, and report back. Dennis if youre folling this thread, tell us why the $140 lens below is a poor choice.

Kelly

I'd be interested to see the comparison. I'm reluctant to pay the Ragecam price without some hard evidence of benefit. since they appear to be identical. If the Ragecam version is different and better, then it would be interesting to find out who manufactures it, since they obviously are not making it themselves.

sar104 said:
wkf94025 said:
I have done the lens change and it's not rocket science. No more challenging that soldering up VTx or similar Phantom assembly/maintenance ops.

Kelly

Did you use heat, or just plenty of torque?

10 Seconds with a hair dryer and very little torque. Fingers, not wrench.

I really apologize for this super noob question but as I'm new to phantoms, I am also new to photography. What is the benefits of having this 5.4mm lens on your gopro?

FRS said:
I really apologize for this super noob question but as I'm new to phantoms, I am also new to photography. What is the benefits of having this 5.4mm lens on your gopro?

Primarily it reduces the field of view to around 80 degrees (from 130 degrees) and doesn't have the fisheye effect - arguably more suitable for aerial photography.

Yes that definitely sounds like what I will need. Thanks for the tip.

I have the 5.4 and use it with a polar ND filter, haven't had gimbal issues or overheating of gimbal components. I have the two axis gimbal. Probably about 80 flights now.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

5.4mm Lens install

I have been using the 5.4 mm lens a few weeks now and here is what I have found and how to install.
I originally bought the Hero 4 black camera to record scenes that I display on a 40" video picture frame in my house. I wanted to try 4K because I did not think the 1080i looked that good up close. To start I bought an ASUS 28" 4k monitor to go with my upgraded computer where I installed a 4k video card. I was aware of the fisheye lens and was also aware there were companies offering a narrower lens without the fisheye effect. At first I used the fisheye lens which while acceptable never allowed me to take any shots other than the very wide ones. I tried to shoot pictures of ducks in a river but the shots were so wide the ducks showed up very small in the pictures and the ones in the background barely showed up. After a few of these experience and not liking the bending affect of the fisheye I decided to take the plunge and get the 5.4mm lens which was the only non fisheye one available that could resolve the 8 megapixel video this camera is capable of. I did a lot of research and decided I did not want to spend 250 dollars or more on the lens and another 100 for it to be installed. Following the suggestions I found I decided to buy the same lens from a US source and install it myself for $155 dollars. After I ordered I did not get a shipping notification immediately so I called the vendor(OSTRC) and was told he was a videographer and he was on a shoot that day but the lens would be shipped the next day and it was. I also confirmed with him this is the daytime lens with the iR filter and he said that's the only one they sell. While waiting for the lens which took two days to arrive I studied how to change the lens. At Peau they had a video showing the camera taken apart, the lens "broken" from the seal, and the camera reassembled. On other sites like visual-aerials (search: "GoPro Hero 4 Black with OST 5.4mm Replacement Lens") I saw this same procedure without the need to open the camera. I decided to try it without taking the camera apart. I followed the directions at visual-aerials and was able to remove the old lens. I held the camera lens down to avoid any glue shavings falling on sensor. I did not see anything fall off the lens threads anyway. (Make sure you remove only the inner lens not the outer lens frame. Also you first must remove the outer ring which just twists off about 1/8 turn as it is not threaded.)
I used a pliers with some electrical tape on the jaws to keep the original stock lens from scratching. (you also might want to use some painters/masking tape to cover the lens glass) It came out rather easily but you must use some force to break the seal. This was ok but it did make a few dings. I would recommend the 1/2 " or 5/8" rubber insulated metal clamp (home depot $1.68)) if you want a clean removal. (I found this after I removed my lens) Once the old lens was removed I was ready to install the 5.4mm which came in a box bubble wrapped and with a lens cover. I turned my camera on while plugged into an HDMI 40" monitor using a micro HDMI to HDMI cable. I then started threading the new lens into the camera until I got good focus which was just a few turns. I aimed my camera out the window onto an object in the distance and adjusted focus. Immediately I saw what a great picture this lens provided. I got everything just right using the using my hand to focus the lens. (This is somewhat difficult because your hand tends to block the lens.) I did notice the lens was not fully tight in the mount and explored using loctite. But I had noticed someone using plumbers tape (thin type like face tissue thin) and had some available which I tried using one complete turn of the tape to keep the lens from being on a angle. That was unsuccessful as the threads just pushed back the plumbers tape and it never tightened. I tried a second time and again the tape just pushed away. Finally I decided to wrap the plumbers tape tighter and two times around the threads to see if that would work and it did, giving me a very snug fit. So now I wanted to do the fine focus adjustment and lock down the lens position. I waited until evening and aimed my camera out an open window at a light in the distance and adjusted the focus. I used the rubber clamp from Home Depot described above to adjust focus and keep my hand out of the view. Everything worked perfect and my focus is outstanding. I did order a lens dust ring and lens hood from Peau ($5.50). I have done many shots using the new lens including one aimed at downtown about 15 miles away and the focus was perfect. In conclusion the whole process is fairly easy, you do not have to have the lens professionally installed or pay more than $155.00, you can re-install the stock lens at any time, and the pictures look great not having that extremely wide fisheye look. As for the pink tint in the far corners, if it is there it is not obvious in anything I have shot.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj