Rage cams 5.4mm flat lens

Bachfire said:
Ravecreative said:
I have a big hammer. LOL

no I'm installing it myself.
Watching the videos online, there's nothing particularly scary about it, you just need to take your time.
Famous last words :)

Can you kindly provide a link to the video you mentioned in your post?

My Vision camera is fitted with new lens and on it way back to me. I will let everyone know the results of the upgrade. :)

Ravecreative said:
well, I've thrown caution to the wind, ordered one from rage cams £265 inc priority shipping, should be here this week

i'll let you know how it goes, and put a bit of footage up

What's the verdict?

Im not seeing the difference between this lens and just using 'narrow' on the Go Pro 3. Is there a significant difference?

jdenkevitz said:
Im not seeing the difference between this lens and just using 'narrow' on the Go Pro 3. Is there a significant difference?

I still get some fisheye on narrow. The advantage for me is being able to get a very wide shot with no fisheye at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

looks good on the video

couple of questions…
1. where did you set the focus to?
and
2. the little bit of glass on the back of the lens - did you remove this, or leave it on?

i'm a bit confused - mind you that doesn't take much - LOL

Ravecreative said:
looks good on the video

couple of questions…
1. where did you set the focus to?
and
2. the little bit of glass on the back of the lens - did you remove this, or leave it on?

i'm a bit confused - mind you that doesn't take much - LOL

They recommend that you focus on something 150 ft away. Luckily for me, across the parking lot is a sign at exactly that distance with the number 11 on it. So I hooked up to my 55" HD TV, opened my front door and focused on that 11 until it looked as good as I could get it. Probably could get it even better, but you have to spend some time on it since the lens isn't easy to turn, so its hard to hit the exact sweet spot. Hooking up to a large HDMI TV is key, since it gives you the best method for adjusting the focus.

I have one of those laser measuring devices which helped a lot in determining the 150' distance. It doesn't have to be exact though.
Not sure about what little bit of glass you mean. They installed mine. I know they ship some with a protective plastic sleeve on the back, not sure if that's what you mean. My IR lens cam with that, if that's what you mean it should come off. The lens has glass on both the front and back, that you would not remove.

AllanVB said:
Bachfire said:
Ravecreative said:
I have a big hammer. LOL

no I'm installing it myself.
Watching the videos online, there's nothing particularly scary about it, you just need to take your time.
Famous last words :)

Can you kindly provide a link to the video you mentioned in your post?

My Vision camera is fitted with new lens and on it way back to me. I will let everyone know the results of the upgrade. :)

“RageCams and I have reached a mutual agreement. I am happy, they are happy. End of story. I did get the 2nd Camera modification to work and I will post pictures next week.”
Allan

Wow that's nutty expensive for that lens. Holy smokes. Since its a zoomed in lens I feel like that would make you lose stops of light. Does it specify the aperture?

spanktimonious said:
It prevents this kind of footage:

I know its not software specific. I just thought that if I switched to RAW it would then require me to touch up a lot of other things which would usually require Photoshop or some other software. Or is the setting you are referring to only affect the white balance? Just curious, since I'd like to try it if that's the case.

Thanks

Thanks Spanktimonious, will give it a shot (no pun intended) after the Phantom decides to ride again. :)

AllanVB said:

“RageCams and I have reached a mutual agreement. I am happy, they are happy. End of story. I did get the 2nd Camera modification to work and I will post pictures next week.”
Allan

AllanVB said:
AllanVB said:

Well the results are in:
Dennis, the owner or Ragecams or Quality Video installed a lens on my vision over a month ago. It didn't work. I sent it back and he said he would fix. Now, he is send it back because he lost his tech and couldn't fix. I am out $500 for a new camera.
I will not do business with that company again. They do not stand behind their work.

So they broke your gear, through no fault of your own, and they won't replace the cam for you? That's some shady a$$ business. sorry to hear it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan