Rage cams 5.4mm flat lens

Reaction score
Seriously thinking about voiding my gopro warranty and changing the lens to a ragecam 5.4mm non-fisheye flat lens.
I hate the way the fisheye doesn't look right when inserted into video footage, and would rather have nice flat video.
Plus the de-fish eye / correction does strange things to the edges of the picture.

They look awesome
http://ragecams.com/shop/54mm-flat-lens ... p-631.html
But a bit concerned about possibly destroying the camera

Has anyone had any experience with this? I'd appreciate any guidance before I steam ahead

Thanks guys

I modified mine, I love it. Quality is fantastic after you focus at 150 foot distance as suggested by RageCam.

2 things; 1, if you have a Zen Gimbal, chances are it won't balance with that on it. I've tried with just a filter adapter(light), and a ND filter(also-light), and the Gimbal enters hibernation mode.
2. shoot in 2700X1400 mode(2.7K Cine), then de-fisheye, and crop to 1080P. Check the results when done-you might be surprised.
And no, I don't have any footage I can show you....just try it.

I've seen footage with that lens, and it does look amazing. But-it won't work with my Gimbal-so it's a non-starter here. Too much weight at the wrong position on the camera-causes the Gimbal to go limp.

Ravecreative said:
Yeh. I was worried about that too, but they do list it as a dji phantom lens. And it looks pretty much the same size.
Might give it a go anyway.
That's what I thought about the snake river filter adapter. It's very light weight-just a few grams. And, the ND filter I had was ultra thin, and also just a few grams. But, the Gimbal would enter hibernation as soon as the aircraft pulled any G-forces...even the slightest bump, and it fell asleep. This was with firmware 1.6 and 1.8.
I'd love to have an ND filter on my GP3....but, it's just not happening with the Zen.

havasuphoto said:
Ravecreative said:
Yeh. I was worried about that too, but they do list it as a dji phantom lens. And it looks pretty much the same size.
Might give it a go anyway.
That's what I thought about the snake river filter adapter. It's very light weight-just a few grams. And, the ND filter I had was ultra thin, and also just a few grams. But, the Gimbal would enter hibernation as soon as the aircraft pulled any G-forces...even the slightest bump, and it fell asleep. This was with firmware 1.6 and 1.8.
I'd love to have an ND filter on my GP3....but, it's just not happening with the Zen.

Dang, Havasu - I just received my Snake River adapter, ND and polarizing filters a few days ago and was planning to test them today on my Zen...

Oh well, I can still use them for general GoPro shooting off of the P2. :)

Ravecreative said:
@jdacal do you have any problems using your modified gopro on the zenmuse?
Yes, and to the last post, yes also.
From what I've seen-you can't alter the weight of the GP3, period. The plus is only 2/10ths of a gram lighter-so that's not an option either.
I have my SR filter holder just sitting on my desk-unused, and paid $35 shipped to get it here. 52mm.
I was using the Hoya HMC ND400 "thin" filter for the testing. I also tried an ND8 and an ND4. I test "flew" them(because I didn't trust that thing to stay on in a real flight-but had a solution in mind), by powering up the Phantom, getting the green home lock flashes, then just picking it up, and pretend flying.
As soon as I banked and rotated around my body-the Gimbal went limp.....it recovered after a few seconds-but did the same thing when I "pulled up", simulating a climb from speed--limp.

So, unless someone finds something in the settings, or, maybe I'm just missing something-it's a no go here.

But, there is "hope"....Go Pro 4 is "scheduled" for a Summer 2014 release!!!! I don't think GP will change the form/size much...but, maybe, just maybe, they'll give us a solution......or, maybe Zen/DJI can add a firmware upgrade to handle the weight of a few grams on the end of the lens-so we can run ND filters.

Shooting 24P without an ND filter on a Go Pro is a complete and utter waste of time right now.........bummer

havasuphoto said:
2 things; 1, if you have a Zen Gimbal, chances are it won't balance with that on it. I've tried with just a filter adapter(light), and a ND filter(also-light), and the Gimbal enters hibernation mode.
2. shoot in 2700X1400 mode(2.7K Cine), then de-fisheye, and crop to 1080P. Check the results when done-you might be surprised.

I've seen footage with that lens, and it does look amazing. But-it won't work with my Gimbal-so it's a non-starter here. Too much weight at the wrong position on the camera-causes the Gimbal to go limp.

What about using some ballast on the opposite side to get it to balance? Should be very easy to add just the right amount through trial and error as the gimbal will sit evenly and not rotate when powered down when the ballast is the right size and in the right position.

ianwood said:
havasuphoto said:

What about using some ballast on the opposite side to get it to balance? Should be very easy to add just the right amount through trial and error as the gimbal will sit evenly and not rotate when powered down when the ballast is the right size and in the right position.
Yea, I thought about that. But, right now I have bigger issues with my Zenmouse. Seems that since I've owned it, in every single video, there's a pronounced tic/jump, at very random points in the video. If I was able to mount the ND filter and shoot a true 24P, it would only look worse. So, until that problem is solved-I'll wait for someone else to try it.

Ravecreative said:

Nope, steady as a rock even with the ND filter on mine. No noise or overheating of the gimbal.

I've done about 10 flights with it.

Jdacal said:
Ravecreative said:

Nope, steady as a rock even with the ND filter on mine. No noise or overheating of the gimbal.

I've done about 10 flights with it.
How did you get it to balance with the added weight? What do you use for ND filters?

I didn't do anything to balance it, using a polar filter. I have a smaller filter from RageCam but haven't used that one yet.

I'm not sure if there are software adjustments since I did not build the Phantom 2. Aerial Media Pros assembled it.

I've done very tight turns and haven't noticed anything unusual. When I get home next week I'll take a closer look at the videos, just in case.

well, I've thrown caution to the wind, ordered one from rage cams £265 inc priority shipping, should be here this week

i'll let you know how it goes, and put a bit of footage up

fingers crossed

I have a big hammer. LOL

no I'm installing it myself.
Watching the videos online, there's nothing particularly scary about it, you just need to take your time.
Famous last words :)

Just ordered for my PV2. I will update this forum with pic before and after in about a week. :)

Attachments

• rage.JPG
    rage.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 478
Ravecreative said:
I have a big hammer. LOL

no I'm installing it myself.
Watching the videos online, there's nothing particularly scary about it, you just need to take your time.
Famous last words :)

Can you kindly provide a link to the video you mentioned in your post?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan