Radio Upgrade Required ....

Reaction score
P3P with Go app at 2.8.7 (iOS), RC at 1.8 and Aircraft at 1.4 - tried to fly today and the big red bolded letters at the top of the screen say I have to 'upgrade the radio'. Diddled around rebooting everything, relinked, tried a different RC. No joy.

So I upgraded the RC figuring I have a spare if the 'upgrade' doesn't quite work out. Still didn't work, insists that I have to update the aircraft and camera.

Forced updates?

P3P with Go app at 2.8.7 (iOS), RC at 1.8 and Aircraft at 1.4 - tried to fly today and the big red bolded letters at the top of the screen say I have to 'upgrade the radio'. Diddled around rebooting everything, relinked, tried a different RC. No joy.

So I upgraded the RC figuring I have a spare if the 'upgrade' doesn't quite work out. Still didn't work, insists that I have to update the aircraft and camera.

Forced updates?
AC FW 1.8 and RC FW 1.6 were released together with an encryption change. If you have one (or later), you must have the other (or later) or you're going to have issues.

You can try to rollback your RC from it's current 1.8 (new encryption) to 1.58 or lower (old encryption) which should allow you to stay at 1.4 (old encryption) on your AC. Either that or just update your AC to 1.8 or later to match the new encryption currently on your RC as it stands now.

Last edited:
Actually I realize I made an error, RC was 1.6, Aircraft was 1.4 - that combo worked for the longest time. The mistake I think I made (assuming some nefariousness on DJI's part) is that I usually don't let the iPad talk to the network while it's running the DJI GO app. Forgot about that. I'm thinking that the GO app talked to DJI and had some sort of snit fit.

Not happy if this is indeed true....

AC FW 1.8 and RC FW 1.6 were released together with an encryption change. If you have one (or later), you must have the other (or later) or you're going to have issues.

You can try to rollback your RC from it's current 1.8 (new encryption) to 1.58 or lower (old encryption) which should allow you to stay at 1.4 (old encryption) on your AC. Either that or just update your AC to 1.8 or later to match the new encryption currently on your RC as it stands now.

Is the encryption change to counter the drone zapper obama has?

Is the encryption change to counter the drone zapper obama has?
Ha! Maybe it was to allow the zapper. ;-)

Actually, I have never learned why they changed the encryption when 1.8 was released in April 2016. We only learned about it because the release notes warned that both the AC and the RC needed to be updated or they would not work. It sure caused plenty of issues right after that release. The boards lit up big time with mismatch issues. DJI handled the release poorly.

Last edited:
Reactions: k9time
Found the problem, I think - bad RC. Switching RCs with the same firmware just gets me the usual whining about 'firmware upgrade required'. Not sure why this particular RC messed up - it's the only one I havent' modded.

Found the problem, I think - bad RC. Switching RCs with the same firmware just gets me the usual whining about 'firmware upgrade required'. Not sure why this particular RC messed up - it's the only one I havent' modded.
stock range of ZERO after fw update, a new low. No one is going to beat that record. LOL.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers