Radio Interference at Model Clubs MAAC

Reaction score
This Blurb from Model Aviation Magazine in their March 2014 issue. The article by Zoltan Pitner Certainly rains
on our parade. Comments would be appreciated...

The new Phantom (2) Vision has an HD camera on 2.4Ghz WiFi and I
strongly have to warn all FPV and all other RC fliers about this machine.
Please note this craft is NOT to be used on MAAC fields around other RC or FPV
fliers. The remote control of this product is on 5.8GHz (neither MAAC nor AMA
approved) – which will cause interference with any 5.8GHz analog FPV video
system.
DJI decided to put the video downlink on 2.4Ghz WiFi and has a WiFi booster
as well installed, and this can potentially interfere or possibly blank out other
2.4Ghz remote control links. So please, be very careful if somebody shows up at
your field with a DJI Phantom 2 Vision. They may inadvertently down your plane.
The Radio Spectrum Chair has been notified and is investigating this product.

MAAC is the Model Aeronautics Association of Canada

goldfinger666 said:
This Blurb from Model Aviation Magazine in their March 2014 issue. The article by Zoltan Pitner Certainly rains
on our parade.

How does it rain on your parade?

If you fly at a club field, you would know the rules, you would also know (hopefully) that the vision could pose a possible issue with operating on 5.8ghz for control and 2.4 for video. You feel entitled to fly? Then you should have chosen more wisely.
If you read, they are investigating the issue and will make a more informed descision once more data is collected. MAAC is issuing this to alert members about the potential problem, why should 100+ members suffer a potential loss of their craft due to one or two vision pilots?

I will agree that this is very possible since we can not choose the channel the phantom binds on and I am not sure if it is a spread spectrum radio. and if it is will cause even more problems for others.

I never have been to such a gathering and as always before I fly I check my surroundings to make sure it is safe.

Radio interference like this is a double edged sword and can effect not only other FPV users and other control frequencies but their raids could also inter fear with the phantom.

The range extender is nothing special it is just a WIFI repeater that is within FCC regulations until they get modified with higher gain antennas.

Now FPV and control radios that are on the 2.4ghz band I am not too sure of what power limitations they have but the same can be said when they use high gain antennas.

You will probably find that most vision owners wont have bought their birds to fly at model fields. Why bother when it can be flown in much more scenic and beautiful places. It doesnt really fall into the same category as model planes and helicopters as the owners of these primarily just want the buzz of flying where most vision owners get the buzz from being able to take amazing aerial shots and video. So no real biggie to me if I wasnt allowed fly with model planes and the like.

goldfinger666 said:
This Blurb from Model Aviation Magazine in their March 2014 issue. The article by Zoltan Pitner Certainly rains on our parade. Comments would be appreciated...

I flipped through the mag, and searched their archive on line ... couldn't find the article. Where is it again? Was it Model Aviation Magazine or Model Aviation Canada? I suspect the latter since Zoltan Pitner is Chair of MAAC's FPV Committee.

Not sure where the OP got the idea that 5.8GHz was not "approved" by the AMA. All AMA says is that you have to use FCC approved/legal equipment. Other than that the the AMA does not "approve" or say anything about operating frequencies.

The Phantom main transmitter and camera WiFi are all FCC Certified Part 15 devices. They are legal for use. However, if you want to modify anything, even as simple as the antenna, then you need to be an FCC licensed Amateur Radio Operator (ham) to do so, otherwise you will be operating illegally.

FWIW, I have flown my Phantom at a very large AMA chartered club fields, along with several others, with absolutely no issues.

I don't know how this kind of misinformation gets started, but it only proves my favorite saying:

"The Internet, spreading fear and ignorance at the speed of light"

Visioneer said:
goldfinger666 said:
This Blurb from Model Aviation Magazine in their March 2014 issue. The article by Zoltan Pitner Certainly rains on our parade. Comments would be appreciated...

I flipped through the mag, and searched their archive on line ... couldn't find the article. Where is it again? Was it Model Aviation Magazine or Model Aviation Canada? I suspect the latter since Zoltan Pitner is Chair of MAAC's FPV Committee.

The article was in the March 2014 of Model Aviation Canada Magazine ( First Person View page 56)

It has been a couple of months since my original concern about flying the phantom at AMA or MAAC certified airfields.
If there has been cases of radio interference with other users since then could we hear about it...

Cheers

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj