Radio Controls Inside Steel Tank

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to use a DJI Phantom to inspect the interior of a steel water tank (when empty of course). I plan on mounting he LED headlight accessory for lighting. One of my concerns is the reflection of radio waves within the steel tank creating flight control issues and crashes. Am I right to be concerned about this, or will it operate without issue?

Thanks for your help

you'll have a bigger issue with air movement. Unless it is a massive tank, you are going to have it flying in the air its moving and fighting its own currents. I would think a gopro on a long stick. But once again, depends on how big the tank is.

I would strap prop guards on it. I'm assuming that you will either be inside of the tank or will be able to get your controller inside since there must be a way to get the phantom inside. I'd fly in ATT mode and give it a whirl. If you can get inside, might not be a bad idea to bring someone with you. Should you have an issue and it comes down, he can catch it.

How big is the tank's opening? I assume it's a tall installation, so you want to fly the quad and enter it from the topside?

How is the inspection done currently?

I'm thinking a rope+camera+light contraption (like a fishing pole) may work better if it's a silo-like tank...

After experiencing flight instability and a crash due to compass interference from temporary coathanger strips strapped to the legs of the Phantom V1.....bringing up the issue of magnetic interference......I would think this might be a major factor. If all that steel upsets your compass, you probably will crash, as there are few, if any modes you can switch to that disable the compass.

I would recommend doing some practice flying very near to and around the tank first....after doing a compass dance. That might give you some hints of problems. But that won't guarantee it will be stable inside.

If the bird crashes.....will you be able to enter the tank to retrieve?? If so, then I wonder whether there are not better and safer ways of achieving your goal....inspecting the inside of the tank....rather than the stretch of using a Phantom.

Also, if the tank has a cover and that cover blocks GPS acquisition then you better be prepared to fly totally ATTI....which is not THAT big a deal but you better be used to it as it IS different than flying in GPS mode.

As to transmitter/controller interference by reflection of radio waves inside the tank....I could be wrong but I think that is the least of your problems. Instability more likely to be magnetic interference in my opinion. I have flown A LOT inside large metal arenas.... but certainly much, much larger than your tank.

DEFINITELY use prop guards.

Good luck.

Hi mate, did you finally used the drone inside the tank? please let me know as I have the same thought

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik