Radio Control Range

Reaction score
I know the Dgi Phanton Radio Control is about 300m
If we go over that distance what happen?

The range will be much further then that 300m, that is just a general figure it will easily handle and with direct line of sight you can get closer to 1km range with the stock radio. The radio does struggle behind objects a bit but most you wont be pushing it into places they shouldn't like I have :lol:

When the radio signal is lost it automatically goes to failsafe and then flys up to 20m altitude above your home position or if over that height will stay at its current level and then turn for home and come back. If you dont regain control it will come to the home position and hover for 30 seconds then auto land. If you didnt get a home lock position prior to takeoff this wont work and you will likely join the flyaway thread, if it doesnt have enough battery to get home it will land short. If you are low and have trees between the phantom and home taller then 20m it will most likely hit them as it just fly's a direct route to home.

If it has less then 6 satellites when it loses radio I think it will just auto land as RTH wont work with low GPS reception. The feature works great but dont put 100% faith in it as it may not make it back for many reasons 100% of the time.

That's an excellent, easy to understand explanation. I notice you've offered lots of great answers on this forum... Thanks Matcerv! I'm sure it in the manual but can I ask... What is the best way to get a good home lock position prior to take-off?

Make sure you take off in a place fairly open, the gps error could be up to 10m+ and so avoid being too close to any trees, buildings or other hazards. You should never take off with any red flashes showing that you dont have 6 or more satellites in view. Also make sure you have had the 8 to 10 quick green flashes indicating home location is saved before take off.

So essentially, if you don't have all green flashes at take-off.. it may be considered a more risky flight? I live out in the country, southern PA. I've never had any fly away or control issues but even out in the open here I can never seem to get all green flashes before launch. Some car GPS's don't work very well here either sometimes. If I take the phantom up in the sky for a bit and then land it, it will come back with all green lots of times.

John L said:
So essentially, if you don't have all green flashes at take-off.. it may be considered a more risky flight? I live out in the country, southern PA. I've never had any fly away or control issues but even out in the open here I can never seem to get all green flashes before launch. Some car GPS's don't work very well here either sometimes. If I take the phantom up in the sky for a bit and then land it, it will come back with all green lots of times.

The GPS seems pretty solid when locked in on the Phantom. It is based on line of sight and the higher you go, the more satelites can be seen over the curvature of the earth (don't forget satelites are not just above you).

As always Martcerv has nailed it with his first response but to answer your question... you are right. Until you have all greens and especially the 8-10 quick greens then don't risk it. It will fly fine without GPS lock in Atti mode and manual and I would advise trying both (carefully at low height). That way you can always flick to them if you get into trouble in GPS mode without scaring the crap out of yourself.

[quote="DeweyAXD
The GPS seems pretty solid when locked in on the Phantom. It is based on line of sight and the higher you go, the more satelites can be seen over the curvature of the earth (don't forget satelites are not just above you).
[/quote]

I never thought of that. When I had a flyaway it seemed that I had control over altitude but nothing else. I wonder if sending the Phantom higher would increase the chances of getting control back due to more satellites.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj