radio alternatives

Reaction score
So I've been snooping around the net trying to see what I can do to "improve" the Phantom. I've come across you tube videos and mentions on posts of replacing the radio TX and RX for "after market" ones.

What are the advantages?

What are the draw backs?

Is it worth it?

Which to do first? FPV, gimbal, or TX/RX?

auck said:
So I've been snooping around the net trying to see what I can do to "improve" the Phantom. I've come across you tube videos and mentions on posts of replacing the radio TX and RX for "after market" ones.

What are the advantages?

What are the draw backs?

Is it worth it?

Which to do first? FPV, gimbal, or TX/RX?

I'm hooked on this hobby as well right now, so I'm thinking the same.. and doing a bit of research now.
a new Tx/Rx gives better range, ability to manually control gimbals (and works with FPV's with head trackers), additional switches (so that one can turn on Failsafe without turning off the Tx),, and also allow the ability to adjust the gains so that you can tweak the performance/reaction time kind of stuff. for instance I've noticed that rotating on the Phantom seems a bit quick, if I had a fancier transmitter I could adjust it from the Tx so that it's not as fast.

the drawbacks.. costs fair amount of $, lots to learn, and stuff to install. but doesn't sound like anyone's had any issues or problems with theirs once installed.

worth it? I guess it depends on your income and passion for the hobby. (which is growing on me). So it can really depend on your own personal values/income.

Of the three, I'd say that FPV would be the first choice if you wanted to get something different out of it. then it's a tossup between the gimbal and Tx, depends on if you want to get automatic stabilization or fly further away. tho I'd say that a gimbal and Tx almost go hand-in-hand.

Oh yah,. the one really good thing about a new Tx. (and FPV goggles)
.. unlike everything else you "add" to a Phantom, they'll never fly away or get smashed in a crash, so you can always re-sell it if you change your mind about it.

Gizmo3000 said:
Oh yah,. the one really good thing about a new Tx. (and FPV goggles)
.. unlike everything else you "add" to a Phantom, they'll never fly away or get smashed in a crash, so you can always re-sell it if you change your mind about it.

LOL

I know the Futaba's are considered the tops, tho I'm wondering if they're overkill for Phantom users..

wondering if the Turnigy's are any good? they certainly are priced right.

I foresee in the future that i might want to get a gimbal, and then I'd probably want to also attempt to control it with my fathshark headtracker... would it be possible with the Turnigys 9? or just the Futaba's?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl