Radar pointer

Reaction score
Flew my phantom today for the second time Something has been driving me crazy I do the calibration very carefully and when I stand behind the Phantom I noticed that the radar pointer instead of pointing straight ahead at 12 o'clock it is pointing someplace slightly left near 11. I really need this pointer to be exact so that I know when the Phantom is high in the air if it is traveling north south east or west I did a gimble calibration and I a IMU calibration however again the radar pointer is not pointing at 12 o'clock when I stand behind it and face north I tried turning around with the controller in my hand and yes the pointer does rotate 360° however again it is never 100% accurate is this normal or am I doing something wrong thank you

Flew my phantom today for the second time Something has been driving me crazy I do the calibration very carefully and when I stand behind the Phantom I noticed that the radar pointer instead of pointing straight ahead at 12 o'clock it is pointing someplace slightly left near 11. I really need this pointer to be exact so that I know when the Phantom is high in the air if it is traveling north south east or west I did a gimble calibration and I a IMU calibration however again the radar pointer is not pointing at 12 o'clock when I stand behind it and face north I tried turning around with the controller in my hand and yes the pointer does rotate 360° however again it is never 100% accurate is this normal or am I doing something wrong thank you
that radar screen never works correctly on my pilot app. Its either not working at all like the heading of the red triangle is just locked or the heading of the triangle points in the opposite direction where the home point really is, maybe its a but because the map view on the right side of the app has the same red triangle which symbolizes the phantom and its heading and its working 100% here. So map view is working good, radar view not.

I thought it was just me. I hope they fix this in a firmware update. I wonder if it is calibration of the compass in my iPad Air to unfortunately I still have not figured out how to recalibrate that for me is a new pilot this is critical especially when I'm 200 feet in the air I really need to know the orientation and direction of the bird with absolute certainty Phelan has any ideas please let me know oh great forum by the way very helpful glad I found it

I thought it was just me. I hope they fix this in a firmware update. I wonder if it is calibration of the compass in my iPad Air to unfortunately I still have not figured out how to recalibrate that for me is a new pilot this is critical especially when I'm 200 feet in the air I really need to know the orientation and direction of the bird with absolute certainty Phelan has any ideas please let me know oh great forum by the way very helpful glad I found it
I think it could be the ipad compass. Normally its calibrated when it thinks it need to be but if you had calibrated in a house like me this could be the problem. I think you can force it to calibrate by opening the compass app but the ipad dont has a compass app and alternative app dont offer calibrarion. I had the compass calibration menu once before i started the pilot app, dont know hiw you can trigger it.

Thanks I did calibrate my compass on my iPad when I first got it. I think you are correct and I did it indoors I will call Apple tomorrow and explain perhaps there is a way to force the calibration

As a new pilot I need all the telemetry and orientation information I can get so I hope I can get this fixed

Today on my second flight I flew to 350 feet and felt completely comfortable because I activated IOC and of course lock.

While this is not a substitute to continuing to learn how to fly, it did take the stress and anxiety away from worrying about orientation and I was able to concentrate on rotation of the phantom and the video camera and not worry any more about my orientation since the XY axis on the phantom 3 was now locked.

This feature is great because now you can rotate 360° And the only thing affected is the camera it does not affect front back and left and right orientation of the phantom three

Yes I really like Google. I am trying to recalibrate the compass on my iPad Air 2 this is how to calibrate my iphone so it is not really very helpful but thank you

Just had an idea. I will test the compass using my iPhone 6 with the PIlot app and if the compass is calibrated correctly and the problem goes away then it is the calibration of the iPad Air 2 which is in fact the problem

If the iPhone is also not correct then I will know that it is something to do with the Phantom 3 or their software.

Dead simple. One of the Apple Apps is Compass. Click on that and it will ask you to calibrate. Roll the ball around the circle and your device is calibrated.

If it doesn't ask you to calibrate initially, kill the app by double clicking on the home button and swiping upwards, then re-open the compass app.

I do not see a compass application on my iPad Air 2. I use my iPad air to the fly not my iPhone

I did install a Compass application on my iPad to however there is no way I can find to have the iPad asked me to calibrate

Try calibrating the compass in your phone or tablet.
Yes this is a great idea. I tried using my iphone 6 but the calibration failed twice but my battery is very low. Charging it now. If the radar pointer is correct on my iphone 6 then the problem is not the Phantom 3 or the DJI Pilot app its the compass calibration in my ipad Air 2. I will test with my iphone 6 as soon as the battery is charged and let everyone know how I make out. Thanks for all of the support

I did a compass calibration of the Phantom 3 outside and successfully obtained the blinking green lights.

I placed the Phantom at 12 o'clock and the controler directly behind the Phantom 3 -- I used my iPhone 6. As you can see the pointer if off and is pointing to 11 o'clock.

Next I re-calibrated my iPhone 6 outside as well and tried the test again and as you can see its much better but still not dead on.

Clearly after the calibration of my iPhone 6 it is almost dead on so I guess that does prove that the issues are with the calibration of my iPad Air 2 (WiFi Only)

I will now call apple and see if there is a way to force a compass calibration of my iPad Air 2

Attachments

• IMG_4896.JPG
    IMG_4896.JPG
    924.2 KB · Views: 477
  • Before.jpg
    Before.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 404
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 449
Successful Update

Apple support confirmed that there is no way to get an iPad to calibrate its compass unless the compass is way out of calibration. I took my iPad outside and ran some magnets across the front and back of it. I powered it off and them back on and the CALIBRATE screen came up. Instead of doing a figure 8 I placed it flat (screen side up) and turned it slowly in a 360 degree circle. All of this was done outside.

I then tested it and its now dead on and perfect. Hurrah ! Hope this helps someone else that is having this problem.

Safe Flying

Attachments

• IMG_4899.JPG
    IMG_4899.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 435
  • IMG_4900.JPG
    IMG_4900.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_4901.JPG
    IMG_4901.JPG
    384.7 KB · Views: 348
Successful Update

Apple support confirmed that there is no way to get an iPad to calibrate its compass unless the compass is way out of calibration. I took my iPad outside and ran some magnets across the front and back of it. I powered it off and them back on and the CALIBRATE screen came up. Instead of doing a figure 8 I placed it flat (screen side up) and turned it slowly in a 360 degree circle. All of this was done outside.

I then tested it and its now dead on and perfect. Hurrah ! Hope this helps someone else that is having this problem.

Safe Flying
Yes thats what i expected with the compass calibration, since apple dont offer the compass app with the ipads you have no chance in forcing a calibration. There must be another way because using the magnet CAN destroy the compass permanently as we know with the Phantom series. I wouldnt do that and the downside is you always need to calibrate the ipad compass before flight for precise working. The compass will be off again sooner or later. Its a pitty that apple dont give a calibration button here. I donwloaded compass apps but the calibration screen never appeared. I saw it once when i installed the DJI pilot app, maybe it always comes when a new IOS version is installed to the device and thats why you are always indoors when this calibration stuff appears. I will just buy a video goggle and the OSD you get from the remote will be like the old iOSD screen, it will show the home point and it dont need ipad compass at all.

I may fly with my phone going forward. Perhaps in iOS 9 they will add a calibration button for the iPad. I got around this by flying in course lock Ioc because then I can ignore the red direction arrow.

Can you explain what this means I am not following

I will just buy a video goggle and the OSD you get from the remote will be like the old iOSD screen, it will show the home point and it dont need ipad compass at all.

I may fly with my phone going forward. Perhaps in iOS 9 they will add a calibration button for the iPad. I got around this by flying in course lock Ioc because then I can ignore the red direction arrow.

Can you explain what this means I am not following

I will just buy a video goggle and the OSD you get from the remote will be like the old iOSD screen, it will show the home point and it dont need ipad compass at all.

With the HDMI upgrade board you can mod your remote controller and now you can plug in a video goggle directly to your remote controller, it will show the live video feed independently from the app. The app can crash but you will still have your video feed and in the edges you have your telemetrie data and your home position is marked with a little diamond icon. That means you can just turn your phantom until you see that diamond icon in front of you and fly towards it, its your home point. This will work independently from your ipads compass.

With the HDMI upgrade board you can mod your remote controller and now you can plug in a video goggle directly to your remote controller, it will show the live video feed independently from the app. The app can crash but you will still have your video feed and in the edges you have your telemetrie data and your home position is marked with a little diamond icon. That means you can just turn your phantom until you see that diamond icon in front of you and fly towards it, its your home point. This will work independently from your ipads compass.

Hello Daninho, just curious which goggles are you using?:)

Hello Daninho, just curious which goggles are you using?:)
I dont use a goggle with my phantom3 because HDMI board is not shipped yet and i dont have a video goggle with HDMI that will support the Phantom3. Fatshark is coming out with a new goggle, the dominator HD V2 and the dominator V3, both are compatible with the Phantom3. There is also a new futuristic goggle from avegant that will project the image directly to your retina with the help of two million small mirrors, the the same technology DLP video projectors use but the screen is your own retina. It means you cant see any pixels in the image like in the real world. This will be released later this year and its 599 dollar. Its a higher end headphone with Ti drivers and video goggle in one unit. I think i have to buy these : p Im using video goggles with my Phantom2 since the Phantom1 days, its much better than an ipad screen.

I dont use a goggle with my phantom3 because HDMI board is not shipped yet and i dont have a video goggle with HDMI that will support the Phantom3. Fatshark is coming out with a new goggle, the dominator HD V2 and the dominator V3, both are compatible with the Phantom3. There is also a new futuristic goggle from avegant that will project the image directly to your retina with the help of two million small mirrors, the the same technology DLP video projectors use but the screen is your own retina. It means you cant see any pixels in the image like in the real world. This will be released later this year and its 599 dollar. Its a higher end headphone with Ti drivers and video goggle in one unit. I think i have to buy these : p Im using video goggles with my Phantom2 since the Phantom1 days, its much better than an ipad screen.

Have you reviewed the "cinemizer" by Zeiss?:)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj