quote for liability insurance......yikes.

Reaction score
filled out an online application for liability insurance just to see what kinda $$ it would cost. they did quote me for commercial, but im sure i filled the form out for recreational flight only in rural/remote areas.
well $100000 coverage would cost me $500 for a year. if i break that down to a likely " flight day" cost.....its $31.25 per flight day before i even start the bird. i based my possible flight days on work schedule, known coastal weather history at my locale and added a few days on for those unplanned opportunities . i do have the luxury of not having to drive for more than 15 mins to go from a rural to remote location but with two batteries it equates to about a buck a minute for insured hobbyist flight. seems a bit over the top !??

That's why Verifly is hard to beat unless you're getting frequent jobs.

My agent said that liability would be covered under my homeowners policy for rec usage but I would be better off getting a separate policy for the drone with another company so an incident would not damage my current home coverage. There's a State Farm policy for drones for loss or theft but no liability. $40 a year. for drone and Marco Polo. Not sure yet.

Reactions: Carinrcl
It's less over the top than paying any judgement out of your pocket!

For recreational flying, you may be covered under your homeowner's or renter's policy - check coverage and caps, you probably want to raise the cap if below 1M, in my opinion.

Sure sound like an agent....

Reactions: nwcove
Now you REALLY sound like an agent....With the adverb and all.....

Just sayin

AMA only covers you on their approved rc fields, so if your fling at a park not on their list, and something happens, they won't cover it.

I don't think that is correct. The coverage is for any flights adhering to their safety guidelines, which do not prescribe the location. Do you have a reference for that limitation?

AMA Insurance is a liability UMBRELLA coverage. That means it pays AFTER all other insurances (homeowner, personal liability umbrella) have paid first. AMA site also specifically states that you are covered anywhere, including your backyard.
I am now interested to find out more bout accident/loss coverage for my P4P. I heard State Farm's has that for $70/yr with no deductible.

Reactions: BigAl07
AMA only covers you on their approved rc fields, so if your fling at a park not on their list, and something happens, they won't cover it.
That was true YEARS ago but that's not accurate any more.

AMA started having "Park Flyer" policies for years and that was the beginning of the AMA reform.

Reactions: MickATL

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl