Quick word of ADVICE

Reaction score
For all the phantom flyers out there, let me forwarn you of what can cause possible irradic behaviour or even flyawys. If you calibrate your quad in your living room BE SURE that there is no woofer boxes, speaker cabinets, or televisions beside or under your quad. The magnets put off a strong magnetic force that can interfere with the programming and flight characteristics. The reason why Im posting this is because I saw on another subject what appeared someone powering up their phanom on top of a speaker cabinet and the gimbal was going haywire, could be wrong, but thats what it looked like. Im very greatful for this forum, it has been a big help to me, you guys keep up the informative responses :)

Good advice... It's in the Manual too ;) .

Yeah, I work in a car audio business and you would be baffled by how many people don't know that there is actual electronics in a amp and magnets in a speakerbox :D , plus you should know by now, people don't read their manual ;)

Always calibrate the compass outdoors where you plan to fly.
Don't calibrate near any objects, don't do it on your back porch near your house or near a building, you need open space all around you. At least 30 feet in all directions, more is better.
Always remove any magnetic or metal objects from your person when calibrating the compass.
. . Take your keys out of your pocket, put your phone down. Remove necklaces, bracelets, watches, anything metal.
. . and remember, anything that uses electricity, generates a magnetic field, even if it's mostly plastic.

Calibrating the IMU is different. You need to do that indoors on a perfectly level surface. Magnetic fields are not a concern but movement and vibration are.
When you run an IMU calibration, make sure the desk or table isn't bumped and avoid vibrations from heavy footsteps.

Why are you even trying to calibrate in your living room? Are you flying it indoors?

Always calibrate when you reach your destination and outside! I always do a calibrating each time even if I fly from the same spot or close to it, not worth the risk and it's quick and easy and gives me a peace of mind before takeoff.

jasonb777 said:
For all the phantom flyers out there, let me forwarn you of what can cause possible irradic behaviour or even flyawys. If you calibrate your quad in your living room BE SURE that there is no woofer boxes, speaker cabinets, or televisions beside or under your quad. The magnets put off a strong magnetic force that can interfere with the programming and flight characteristics. The reason why Im posting this is because I saw on another subject what appeared someone powering up their phanom on top of a speaker cabinet and the gimbal was going haywire, could be wrong, but thats what it looked like. Im very greatful for this forum, it has been a big help to me, you guys keep up the informative responses :)

Why would anyone calibrate the compass in the living room, or anywhere indoors for that matter? :?

Calibrating the compass on your assistant software IN THE LIVING ROOM should be done away from magnets, I know from experience trying to adjust fix the ioc issue Im having. While attempting to do so I noticed I was getting some warnings that were a direct result from being in a car audio store around high powered neodymium magnets. What kind of IDIOT would attempt gps calibration in the living room? For whoever thought I was implying that, please use your brain ;)

How about a better hint of advice.... Don't calibrate your compass inside. Problem solved. :lol:

jasonb777 said:
Calibrating the compass on your assistant software IN THE LIVING ROOM should be done away from magnets, I know from experience trying to adjust fix the ioc issue Im having. While attempting to do so I noticed I was getting some warnings that were a direct result from being in a car audio store around high powered neodymium magnets. What kind of IDIOT would attempt gps calibration in the living room? For whoever thought I was implying that, please use your brain ;)
You can't calibrate the compass with the assistant software so I assume you mean the IMU calibration. Also you can't calibrate GPS so think you meant compass calibration there.

As far as I know, magnetic fields should have no effect on IMU calibration BUT the speaker vibrations will. IMU calibration needs to be done perfectly still. No movement, no bumps, no vibrations.
And although it shouldn't matter, it's probably a good idea to do it away from any magnetic fields.

You can get a compass calibration warning in the Assistant software if you have the compass leg near metal or a magnet. I got it because I had a screwdriver on my desk near the compass leg.
But if you do need to calibrate the compass, you have to disconnect from the software and take it outside.

Also note, the IMU calibration also calibrates the barometric altimeter pressure sensor which is sensitive to temperature so you don't want to do the IMU calibration when it's too warm.
Also don't do it in direct sunlight or if there is a fan or strong air currents blowing on the Phantom. The temp needs to be stable.

iptaylm said:
I always do a calibrating each time even if I fly from the same spot or close to it, not worth the risk and it's quick and easy and gives me a peace of mind before takeoff.

That's superstition giving you peace of mind and a false sense of security.
There is no need to calibrate every time you fly.
Learn what calibration does and put your effort into things that matter.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=22435&p=205776#p205776

You may not need to re-calibrate every time but IMO you do need to Re-Calibrate every time you attach anything to or remove anything from the Phantom.
Anything metal or electrical creates or alters magnetic fields.
The calibration process allows the system to compensate for the magnetic fields produced by the battery, the motors and all the other parts of the Phantom including the camera hanging near the compass.
If you have a removable camera, you should re-cal every time you attach or remove the camera or anytime you add, remove or change anything. Including the screws for the prop guards.

That's superstition giving you peace of mind and a false sense of security.
There is no need to calibrate every time you fly.
Learn what calibration does and put your effort into things that matter.

I have issues with my Phantom which appeared after a warranty gimbal repair. The initial fault was a failure of the return to home function causing damage to the gimbal on landing, (possible VRS).
If anyone wants to comment on that, please do not, the DJI Website says that the RTH will return to the home point "without causing injury or damage."

After the repair the first time I powered up and most times when I fly a message pops up in the app saying to do a compass calibration, this may be before or directly after a flight. most times I fly on a property with enough cleared area to place 2 football fields with no metal or electrical objects anywhere to be seen. Of most concern is when the message pops up after powering down from a flight and when this happens it says there are no satellites being received. This problem may be the cause of the many problems I am have with this Vision Plus.

So, every time I fly, I do a compass calibration and would advise to do a compass calibration at every new site no matter the distance from the last flight.

There are so many things that can affect the flight, telecommunication towers, power lines, underground power lines, anything metal, any electric device can affect our phantoms. Be weary and do not become complacent. How many devices do you pass with your phantom just going to a flight site.

My phantom was sent away for the second time for repair and it was initially purchased on 16Jun14, the first time 3 days after it was purchased and no I was not a first time flyer, I have a modified Phantom 1 which I fly more often than the vision plus... "Not Happy Jan"

Not sure if this should be in this forum.

Nothing more simple then this...... Prior to starting the motors, if the Altitude displays anything above 2.5ft, you need to calibrate the compass. If you can not remember that for some reason, get a tattoo.

jasonb777 said:
Sorry what I meant was IMU calibration not a compass calibration, my bad.

If doing a compass calibration 2-3 in a row and still not about to reach the sweet area, no doubt IMU is a must do.

Can you explain the IMU calibration, what it does and how to do it? Software assistant?

Thanks

Yup in the phantom assistance.
Find a level surface in both axis. Use a spirit/buble leveller.
Make sure the phantom is cold - warm will affect the barometric altimeter readings.
REMOVE GIMBAL CLAMP
Plug the USB into phantom when it's still off.
Find the menu in the phantom assistance PC/MAC software.
The moment you power it on, do the advanced calibration. The more colder the unit, the quicker it is.
I used to ignore the MC temp warning thinking it was a bug. I found out its a real warning. My IMU failed calibration and you can see the phantom move on the radar even though it was grounded.

I find it more important to do IMU then Compass Calibration. All the compass calibration does is counters the declination. If the MOD values of the compass is extremely large then it wont let you fly. Usually happens when you leave it near magnets/speakers etc. And the DJI app warns if a compass calibration is required.

flyNfrank said:
Nothing more simple then this...... Prior to starting the motors, if the Altitude displays anything above 2.5ft, you need to calibrate the compass. If you can not remember that for some reason, get a tattoo.

What does altitude have anything to do with compass calibration?..

Mako79 said:
Yup in the phantom assistance.
Find a level surface in both axis. Use a spirit/buble leveller.
Make sure the phantom is cold - warm will affect the barometric altimeter readings.
REMOVE GIMBAL CLAMP
Plug the USB into phantom when it's still off.
Find the menu in the phantom assistance PC/MAC software.
The moment you power it on, do the advanced calibration. The more colder the unit, the quicker it is.
I used to ignore the MC temp warning thinking it was a bug. I found out its a real warning. My IMU failed calibration and you can see the phantom move on the radar even though it was grounded.

I find it more important to do IMU then Compass Calibration. All the compass calibration does is counters the declination. If the MOD values of the compass is extremely large then it wont let you fly. Usually happens when you leave it near magnets/speakers etc. And the DJI app warns if a compass calibration is required.

I never found the MC temp warning to matter.

My house is 75F and I have performed the Adv. IMU cal first thing in the morning with the MC on for say... 1 min. prior and still get the warning.

Cocoa Beach Kiter said:
flyNfrank said:

What does altitude have anything to do with compass calibration?..

It's what I have always used as a reference to whether or not the compass is functioning properly. With the quad powered up(not running)if the altitude is fluctuating above 2 1/2 feet and you fly, there will be several things that are not right, and more importantly it will be more suspect to a fly away.

If shows above the 2 1/2 feet, reboot the quad. It generally only takes 1 reboot to get it in the comfort area. If you have 3 failed attempts to get it to low readings, then do a IMU calibration.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik