Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Quick Release gimbal mount

Discussion in 'Photos and Video' started by aadvanboven, Dec 15, 2013.

1. aadvanboven

Hi all, I've been flying around for about two months and have upgraded my Phantom with a lot of nice stuff. Name it and it is on there... and it produces great stable video's. (that's why I have it). However, sometimes you just want to have fun with the Phantom and have a light and agile moving quadcopter with less risk involved (crashing all the gear mounted on it).

So I wanted to have a quick release system for the electronics mounted below the phantom. I have searched but have not found a good solution. So I have started developing one myself. I have an Ultimaker 3D printer, started designing in SketchUp and printed some prototypes... to the point that I have a working quick-release system that only adds 5,5mm in height and approx. 20 grams. The height is needed for the screwheads but the weight can come down with future versions.

Did a testflight today and it works great... to release it, just remove one (safety) screw from the side, disconnect the cables and slide it off...

Now thinking of adding an extra 'extension' so i can also mount the fpv-transmitter and Flytrex on the mount. Should also balance the Phantom out so the CoG is better.

Attached Files:

2. aadvanboven

Extra photo's

Attached Files:

3. aadvanboven

Two more...

Attached Files:

4. Topeeka

A great application for this new printer technology....a very nice custom design made to solve a specific need. I bet you get requests for more of those...!! Thanks for sharing your work and idea...

5. Ksc

Ksc

looks great. great idea. the phantom 2 has a nice large underbody with plenty of room for quick release brackets.

6. gertjanvanmaurik

Hello Aad,

Possibility to order those with you, seeing that I'm getting squared eyed from looking for one on the internet.

Thnx

Gert-Jan

7. aadvanboven

8. aadvanboven

9. Bunger

Two quick questions:

- how does the shape ways version "lock" together?

- do you think you could create a second option that adds an "extended" platform to the lower piece (the removable one) to place a vtx?

Looks awesome, by the way!