Quick question

Reaction score
Been looking to get a phantom for some time . But I need some help with which one to get the only thing I would be using it for is to tape my son playing youth football for he development should I really fork out $1000 and get a phantom 3 advance or would a used p2 v+ do the job ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been looking to get a phantom for some time . But I need some help with which one to get the only thing I would be using it for is to tape my son playing youth football for he development should I really fork out $1000 and get a phantom 3 advance or would a used p2 v+ do the job ?

For "now", I think either P2V+ or P3 Standard (essentially the same as P2V+ but better camera I think) would do. I'd get P3 because P2V+ is discontinue so you may find finding parts for it becoming more difficult.

That said, is that all you ever going to do with it? Also keep in mind that the Youth Football people may NOT let you fly your quad while kids are playing. Or the park / field people won't even let you fly at all.

For "now", I think either P2V+ or P3 Standard (essentially the same as P2V+ but better camera I think) would do. I'd get P3 because P2V+ is discontinue so you may find finding parts for it becoming more difficult.

That said, is that all you ever going to do with it? Also keep in mind that the Youth Football people may NOT let you fly your quad while kids are playing. Or the park / field people won't even let you fly at all.
Yes that's all it would be for ... And yea that my biggest fear the field saying no to the quad

Yes that's all it would be for ... And yea that my biggest fear the field saying no to the quad

My guess is 90% chance they say "no". Ask first before you spend the money. There may already be local ordinates that prevents you to do that. And of course there are other parents that may not feel comfortable with your drone buzzing above.

You COULD broach it with the coach as a coaching video that they can review after the game and gain support there, but each battery will only last you about 20 minutes or so before you need to change out battery.

Personally for that purpose, I think you are better off with a good camera from high vantage point like most team college team do.

Reactions: john.f.evans.71
I would suggest you read the information on the FAA site Model Aircraft Operations

In general it is a bad idea to fly around people. Plus, because of the wide angle lens on the Phantom you may not get the close up type video that would help you and your son see him very well. For his development/improvement a video camera might give you more of what you are looking for.

Good luck in your decision process.

John,
At first look, it seems like a great reason to invest in a flying camera. But, as others have posted, it's probably not the appropriate gear for that kind of video work. Besides the safety issues and limited flight time, the lenses are not suitable because they are wide angle.

You might consider a good DSLR that shoots video with sound so you can use telephoto and zoom lenses. Plus, you can buy/build a jib boom to get the camera up in the air and get smoother pano shots, too. Thats how the college and pros get the good game films.

That's not to say getting a new Phantom wouldn't be fun for many other family activities you can have. I fly a Standard and its really been a great addition to my other outdoor photo/video projects.

If you're going to fly over people, who better to fly over than football players? They're padded, wearing helmets with face masks, and they're accustomed to getting hit.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl