Quick question

Reaction score
What exactly would happen if the controller were turned off mid-flight? Would the device simply return to home? Also, would I be able to reconnect to the drone if it were far away? Just wondering if this would be a good option if for some reason the drone was not receiving the return to home command, kind of like a last resort.

Thanks!

Depends on how you have it configured to respond to loss of signal. Default is RTH, but it can be set to hover or land.
Reconnection: Entirely depends on distance, obstacles in the way, etc.

It would come home. Make sure you have the RTH height set to clear everything in your area though. Yes it would reconnect once it got into range. Yes, you can use it as a last resort, I have.

But make sure it isnt in ATTI mode because RTH won't work then

Neon Euc

Thanks for that! I just read through that entire thread. Seems like the s2 switch is the safest and most reliable way to initiate RTH.

Thanks for that! I just read through that entire thread. Seems like the s2 switch is the safest and most reliable way to initiate RTH.
Yes I agree, the S2 switch is a better backup if the Go app RTH fails. But the very best way to RTH is "just fly it manually" So many new pilots over use the auto RTH's, there's really no good reason to use them if your in control of the AC. It's just a novelty, unless your in a jam and truly need it to help you. IMO

First as another says - make sure RTH is set up properly ... then the AC is programmed to do just that in event of lost signal for any reason.

The Go app has nothing to do with RTH initiating unless you do it by tapping the screen icon. The RTH is in the AC program ... lose connection and it defaults to that.

BUT take care if you have latest Go app 3.1.2 on Android .... that RTH position can be in error seriously and you may not get AC coming back to where you think. Android version 3.1.2 has terrible habit of instigating its own position or not even getting initial take off setting right.
When you initiate auto take off ... check carefully the DISTANCE shown after it says Take Off position recorded .. if its near zero - you are ok but if its significantly in error - don't trust RTH. Or go into app and manually set the home position ...

Nigel

But make sure it isnt in ATTI mode because RTH won't work then

Neon Euc
It will if you have enough satellites visible for a GPS lock. Watch the map view when your flying in ATTI next, the AC knows where it is it's just not using the GPS data to hold position in ATTI. If it knows where it is it will find its way back to the recorded home point.

Yep ... people get confused between the TWO ATTI modes .... one with GPS and one without.

Nigel

Reactions: Neon Euc
First as another says - make sure RTH is set up properly ... then the AC is programmed to do just that in event of lost signal for any reason.

The Go app has nothing to do with RTH initiating unless you do it by tapping the screen icon. The RTH is in the AC program ... lose connection and it defaults to that.

BUT take care if you have latest Go app 3.1.2 on Android .... that RTH position can be in error seriously and you may not get AC coming back to where you think. Android version 3.1.2 has terrible habit of instigating its own position or not even getting initial take off setting right.
When you initiate auto take off ... check carefully the DISTANCE shown after it says Take Off position recorded .. if its near zero - you are ok but if its significantly in error - don't trust RTH. Or go into app and manually set the home position ...

Nigel

Thanks Nigel. I have been lurking for about a month and so I have downgraded my Dji Go App to version 2.9.1 based on your recommendation. Luckily I didn't experience any issues with the RTH feature when I was using 3.1.2 but I would rather be on the safe side. I will say that my video feed was definitely a lot less laggy and the connection seemed to be a bit stronger. Have you been able to do any testing with 3.1.1 or 3.1.0? I saw in another thread that you were planning on testing them. Your posts have been extremely helpful in learning about my new toy.

It will if you have enough satellites visible for a GPS lock. Watch the map view when your flying in ATTI next, the AC knows where it is it's just not using the GPS data to hold position in ATTI. If it knows where it is it will find its way back to the recorded home point.
I always thought ATTI mode didn't include RTH as it was a kind of "freestyle mode" pretty sure I heard of a fee fly always because of people using ATTI without knowing what it really does

Neon Euc

Thanks Nigel. I have been lurking for about a month and so I have downgraded my Dji Go App to version 2.9.1 based on your recommendation. Luckily I didn't experience any issues with the RTH feature when I was using 3.1.2 but I would rather be on the safe side. I will say that my video feed was definitely a lot less laggy and the connection seemed to be a bit stronger. Have you been able to do any testing with 3.1.1 or 3.1.0? I saw in another thread that you were planning on testing them. Your posts have been extremely helpful in learning about my new toy.

All versions of 3.1.x I found to be serious in lag ...

Only versions 2.9.1 and 3.0.1 did I find to be OK ..... even 3.0.0 was not good.

Nigel

I always thought ATTI mode didn't include RTH as it was a kind of "freestyle mode" pretty sure I heard of a fee fly always because of people using ATTI without knowing what it really does

Neon Euc

There are two ATTI modes in effect ... one with and one without GPS ... RTH relies on GPS on the AC ...

To be honest - there are so many misrepresentations of even simple functions on forums - I am shocked and especially that often they get repeated !!

Nigel

Neon Euc
Freestyle, yes. Like another post said, it's not assisting you in flying. But it's still their calculating its location pretty sure the RTH still functions. I'll put it to the test next time I'm out.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Neon Euc
There are two ATTI modes in effect ... one with and one without GPS ... RTH relies on GPS on the AC ...

To be honest - there are so many misrepresentations of even simple functions on forums - I am shocked and especially that often they get repeated !!

Nigel
Two ATTI modes? Please explain, my understanding is there's only one and it's the center position of the S1 switch. Top position P-mode full auto functions. Bottom position F-mode gives you the intelligent mode options and is still full GPS functionality. Center position is A-mode, eliminating GPS hold and visual positioning if using other units besides the standard. So I'm only seeing one ATTI mode.

Last edited:
One is a virtual mode you cannot select .... ATTI can initiate with and without.

Nigel

Today had interesting event ...... decided to fly over the park ..... AC got about 150m out and connection died. Tablet went dead - nothing worked when tapped. Then I rebooted tablet and GO ...
I expected AC to RTH - but she stayed hovering out of sight.
I regained control and completed my flight intentions.

OK ... first : I did not panic - I wanted to ... but I just told myself at worst she will run out of battery and land where she is. Second : Rebooting all takes time - but I have chance to reconnect. If not then she will either RTH or land out.

I still have to investigate why she disconnected .... why she did not RTH.

FW 1.07.009
Go (Android) 3.0.1
Nexus 7 vers 2 16Gb

Nigel

Today had interesting event ...... decided to fly over the park ..... AC got about 150m out and connection died. Tablet went dead - nothing worked when tapped. Then I rebooted tablet and GO ...
I expected AC to RTH - but she stayed hovering out of sight.
I regained control and completed my flight intentions.

OK ... first : I did not panic - I wanted to ... but I just told myself at worst she will run out of battery and land where she is. Second : Rebooting all takes time - but I have chance to reconnect. If not then she will either RTH or land out.

I still have to investigate why she disconnected .... why she did not RTH.

FW 1.07.009
Go (Android) 3.0.1
Nexus 7 vers 2 16Gb

Nigel
Didn't initiate RTH because your RC was probably still powered on and you still had a green LED light. Our devices and the Go app are not really required for flight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers