Quick and easy way to get more range on video and quad

Reaction score
I don't want to fly miles but I just want more range on the video feed and the quad so I can go a bit further and explore a bit more.
I'm using the moverios and am more than happy with them but I want to fly further away
I've used the fpv booster before on my iPhone but haven't used it on the moverios
Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

http://fpvlr.com ?

However you end up with a remote that needs more attention and is more difficult to store. Seems to be the most cost effective to give you quick gains.

what settings work with your moverio resolution and fps wise? i find the fpv sensation very poor because of being not able to perform at 640x480@30fps. even with external antenna on wifi extender.

phantomguy said:
FPVLR half sphere is what you want

You really need to be good at soldering to install some of the fpvlr antennas. It doesn't take much to mess something up.

Installing the app's are the easiest way to go.

I agree with FPVLR about the install process. I've had the oppertunity to install the second stage kit from them. The only tools needed were a screwdriver, exacto knife, a drill with a proper sized bit and patience. I modded the controller in about 20 minutes and the WiFi transmitter in about 10 minutes. No soldering needed. Same goes with the bird side install which I still need to purchase.

flyNfrank said:
phantomguy said:

You really need to be good at soldering to install some of the fpvlr antennas. It doesn't take much to mess something up.

Installing the app's are the easiest way to go.

Disagree, no soldering necessary for fpvlr

It's a very easy installation

phantomguy said:

So, with a single half dome from FPVLR on my RE500 what type of range can I expect?

Currently I have done the mod an using a 5dbi omni antenna and get 1200-1300 feet.

If you do stage 1, is it possible to remove the antennas and still fly with the default Wi-Fi range? I'm often flying in areas where I don't need the extra range and it would be nice to be able to store the remote in my case.

You can still store the remote. The antennas screw on and off by hand.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416081087.920111.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416081087.920111.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 616
Phanton v2+ newbie said:
Thanks for all your responses but I'm in the uk. Is there anywhere here I can get the antennas
Thanks
Horizon antennas in the UK Google is your friend.

myvrodrocks said:
Is it possible to fly without the antennas? Or does installing stage 1 modify the Wi-Fi in a way that only allows it to function with the antennas attached?

Phanton v2+ newbie said:
Thanks for all your responses but I'm in the uk. Is there anywhere here I can get the antennas
Thanks
II think there is a hobby shop there called Horizon Hobbies,they apparently make a good setup

If you want a quick way to increase video...... buy the "vision utility plus" app for android (and I'm guessing apple to??)
It lets you increase the Camera and Range extender wifi power. Also lets you do data logging which you can use to overlay in videos, or just have the data.
Only costs $12

That is the quickest way to get more of out the video feed... You should do it anyways even if you get new antennas.

You can do the above yourself if you are familiar with linux and save $12, but if not just buy it, it has a nice gui and is very easy to use the app... There is a thread about it somewhere, maybe page 2 in this section.

msinger said:
myvrodrocks said:
Is it possible to fly without the antennas? Or does installing stage 1 modify the Wi-Fi in a way that only allows it to function with the antennas attached?

They replace the stock antennas so. No you won't be able to fly without the antennas or not have very much if any range without them anyways. But with that said I am extremely happy with my FPVLR setup

justin00 said:
If you want a quick way to increase video...... buy the "vision utility plus" app for android
I'm assuming this app will also cause the Wi-Fi unit to overheat -- as noted above about a similar app.

I was using the app since I got Phantom in early Sep.. then permanently set my wifi to 17db (so I don't need to use the app) and my wifi has been fine for the last 40+ flights using 2 batteries...
I did however follow the overheating thread and put thermal paste in it..that was only a few weeks ago though.

I wonder if the people who's overheated constantly transfer files from Phantom to phone etc etc.. that causes it to get very very hot, even with default settings...

But yeah I do recall a few people in the thread about the 'other' app saying they had issues.. haven't seen the same issue with vision utility plus..

Use at own risk ;)

Here is thermal paste thread
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=28176

There is no thread to permanently do it.. I just ssh'd in to both RE and Camera and added the following the some init.d networking files so they take affect on startup/reboot etc etc
This command will set it to 17dbm.. its the exact same command vision utility plus sends when you use the GUI... anyways you ssh in and type this (or add to startup files)

sets to 17dbm
iw phy phy0 set txpower fixed 1700

This sets it to 20dbm
iw phy phy0 set txpower fixed 2000

I don't want to make a how to thread as its very easy to screw up the camera or RE networking config if you don't know what your doing... I imagine if that happens you would need to send back to DJI to get it factory reset. Its easy to permanently set it, but there is always some one who will do something wrong and blame thread :p
Plus I don't want to take away clients/$$ from the apps... I still use vision utility for the data logging, and hope the devs keep adding cool features.

msinger said:
justin00 said:
then permanently set my wifi to 17db
justin00 said:
and put thermal paste in it
Got links to how to do these two things?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik