Questions! [Updated 4/19, see latest posts]

Reaction score
Hi guys! This is my first post and I've got a ton of questions to ask.

My Dji Phantom 1.1.1, GoPro 3+ Black and Tarot gimbal is coming in tomorrow, but I wanted to stock up on upgrades/essential parts just so I wouldn't have to wait longer for them to come in.

So priority #1 for me right now is, Where do you buy propellers?

I've been looking all over eBay and Amazon and most if not all of them is decent enough based on so many negative reviews (I'm putting a lot of money into the air, I might as well fly it with propellers that my wallet can trust). I suppose getting the propellers for the Phantom 2 is the way to go as far as I've read and carbon fiber versions of it makes it even better. But where?!

#2, what "FPV Kit" do you recommend getting?

I want to go for budget friendly, non-googles, non-bulky, and easy to put together type of set (I'm already asking for too much, huh). And where can I buy that from and is there a complete kit that can be purchased (if not, would you mind making a list of parts needed?). Also, would you rather get the video feed from the GoPro (from what I've read) or from another feed (adding another camera, I think that FatShark does this).

#3, to wide landing gear or not to wide landing gear?

I'm absolutely sure after watching a boatload of YouTube videos that the stock landing gear would prove to be not big enough (ie: gimbal touching ground, gears appearing in shots, etc). There's a wide one on eBay but based on reviews it's not "sturdy" enough for even the slightest falls. I was wondering if there was any alternatives to that you would recommend.

#4, what else am I missing or should get?

Well, that's pretty much what I have on my list so far. Thank you very much for reading and helping me out! I'll be back on later to check if I get any replies. :eek:

I've started out with an AR Drone 2.0 with MiruMod, but I wanted to take my next [baby] step forward into better aerial photography.

Re: Where to buy reputable propellers? + more questions.

Hello,
I can't answer ALL YOUR QUESTIONS! I have a Phantom 2 Vision!

BLADES:
I always use STOCK DJI P2V ( self-tightening blades ) as their factory BALANCE is decent!
( I recommend BALANCING ANY AND ALL PROPS, before use )
Balanced props will give you smoother flights, longer run times, and better video quality !

So
Purchase #1) prop balancing machine, buy a DECENT ONE, don't buy the 'el cheapo one, but you don't need a $100 one either, you should be able to get a decent good quality one for $15-30!
Purchase #2) DJI PROPS ( complete set of 4 ( 2x cc, and 2x c )
Cc- counter-clockwise
C - clockwise

Ok CARBON FIBER PROPS,
These are nice with little to no flex, if you get a good quality CLEAN, balanced set, you'll get longer fly times, better response with phantom, more lift, BUT, a lot of these come with blemishes ( holes, dents, other impurities ) and they are horribly out of balance ( most ) some sell balanced ones, but I found they are not perfectly balanced, and require you balancing them, carbon is harder to balance than stock ( carbon is very hard and tough to remove material for balancing ), another CON, carbon fiber is brittle, so if you wreck, the props explode, they do not bend or flex, they shatter!
Stocks can take small crashes, cause they flex and bend a bit!
Also stock $8 pair, carbon $20 pair, choice is yours!

Here is a couple items you might want to add;
Purchase #3 ( personal GPS TRACKER ( TK-102b )
Is a good one $40,
( in case you lose your phantom, you can find it, even after phantom battery dies ( as you know, after 30 minutes, your phantom BATTERY is most likely DEAD. The tracker can run for 72 hours!
Purchase #4 ( decals ) " LOST, please call 941-894-8888 " ( fake # made it up for example )
This way if you ever lose your phantom, MAYBE, a good Samaritan will call and give it back,
I also put this sticker on my controller, as my friend once while loading his phantom in his car, left his controller, by mistake, when he went back, it was gone!

Purchase #5
As many batteries as you can afford! Lol! I have 4 for my vision, and I wish I had more!

Hope this helps, I do not know much about phantom 1's, or gimbal/camera setups, but most like
Zenmuse h3-3d gimbals ( 3 axis ) with go-pro 3 black? But I have no experience with them or go-pros?

My advice is start as stock as possible, then change things as needed, like start with stock props, and upgrade after you break both sets ( phantom comes with 2 sets ( 8 props ) I've been flying for 5 months now, and still have same props I started with, still have the extra set!

You can buy props from EBAY, any DJI DEALER ( hobby shop ) look online, or classifieds here on Phantompilots.com!

1) extra set props ( stock self-tightening )
2) prop balancer
3) GPS tracker ( optional, but great insurance policy for $40
4) decals ( lost call me )
5) extra batteries
6) trans stickers ( optional )
7) case for phantom ( keeps dirt dust moisture out ) plus it can hold everything for easy transportation!
8) whatever gimbal/camera setup you want ( I'm sure someone here can help a bit more on this topic, I just don't know much about gimbals ) sorry!
EDITED HERE: wanted to add:
9) PROP GUARDS ( these will save your props from things like roll back upon ( takeoff or landing ) this is where phantom rolls ( back-forward-sideways ) upon takeoff or landing, due to wind, user error , too slow takeoff, this can ruin a set of props, or tree limbs and leaves, if you happen to graze or bump into a tree, tree branch, or leaves, or any other object ) can also protect people ( if God forbid,you ever hit one ) hope that NEVER HAPPENS, but you never know?
About $20 a set of 4
( NOTE: use only DJI ONES,( 2 screws each ) as carbon fiber, fiberglass or knockoff plastic ones use ( 4 screws each ) these are MOTOR SCREWS,
Yes, the screws which hold motors onto phantom! altering 2 is safer than altering all 4, in case they decide to get loose or fall out, plus DJI ones are molded to fit around arm bends and such, all others are just flat, boring, and quit ugly, plus are 50% more dangerous ( screws coming loose or falling out due to vibration, and extra joint ( phantom-guard-screw ) stock is ( phantom-screw )
There is just a lot more to go wrong!

Your friend,
Jerry D
USA
( J Dot )

I would start here, then upgrade as things break!

Don't bother with CF props they're arguably a waste of money.
just stick with stock DJI props , or go with DJI Vision props for longer flight times.

I flew for a year until I had a flyaway, so now I fly with a tagg.com tracker, it works fairly well.

for FPV, if you want to go with goggles, consider the Fatsharks, go with Predator or Attitude (I purchased the later).
or look into FPV monitors if you wish to go that route.

J Dot, thank you for your help!

Propeller balancer added to my eBay cart.

Bought genuine P2 propellers instead of P1 because I want to try it out. I heard it makes the flight time slightly longer. Turns out the eBay place I bought my gimbal was only minutes away and they just called me to pick up the gimbal. While I was there I asked if I could see their CF propellers and it indeed was CF, but the consistency seemed inconsistent. And after reading your post I decided to just stick with genuine P2 propellers for my 1.1.1.

Really good idea on the GPS tracker. I assume you need an active SIM card for it? I'll do a little more research on it.. Maybe I can slap a FreedomPop SIM card on it since it gives like 300Mb of free data I think per month.

Yep, I was planning on getting my labeler out and out some contact info inside and out of the hull.

That's what Ioved about the P1s.. Batteries are cheap! If I ever won the lottery id move over the P2 and get like 3-4 batteries for it.

I was planning on getting those backpacks fitted with foam on them. I think I saw a post somewhere with. Tactical backpack and foam.. But I don't think it'll fit once I put prop guards on.

Speaking of prop guards, I was thinking of getting one! But I wanted to save on weight.. Hmm.. I guess I'll give it a try. Since I'm getting propellers from the P2 for my P1, the propellers are longer.. So the P1 guard would be short. So I was thinking of getting prop guards for a P2.. Can someone confirm that it'll fit?

Gizmo3000, thank you also for your help!

Yep! I've decided to just stick with stock propellers from a P2 on my P1.1.1.

That tagg.com system is a little pricey for my budget.. :/

I hear everyone raving about the FatShark.. I think I'll just go with that then. But should I get my video feed from the gopro or from another feed instead?

Thanks!

the tagg system doesn't use a sim,. but costs $7 a month. (but that beats never finding a $1k+ quad after you lose it).

Prop guards will indeed cut back on flight time, tho can help with newbies.
but if you're careful and avoid hitting trees, you might be just fine.

You're much better getting video straight from the GoPro I'd say, lets you see what you're filming, etc.
you would use this cable to connect to the Fatshark Tx.
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=1296

(the predator comes with it's own little FPV camera, which you can put aside)

Gizmo3000 said:
the tagg system doesn't use a sim,. but costs $7 a month. (but that beats never finding a $1k+ quad after you lose it).

Prop guards will indeed cut back on flight time, tho can help with newbies.
but if you're careful and avoid hitting trees, you might be just fine.

You're much better getting video straight from the GoPro I'd say, lets you see what you're filming, etc.
you would use this cable to connect to the Fatshark Tx.
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=1296

(the predator comes with it's own little FPV camera, which you can put aside)

I'll put the tagg system under consideration. I'll probably just not eat lunch for a day to compensate, haha.

As for prop guards.. I'm definitely getting them as soon as someone can confirm that the Phantom 2 guards fits on the 1.1.1 because I'm getting propellers form the P2.

Looking at that cable for the GoPro, it looks like it was already supplied with my Tarot T-2D Gimbal. Thank goodness for that.

Looks like all I need is a headache-less transmitter and receiver though.

I was looking at this transmitter from readymadeRC and was wondering if it's compatible with the Phantom 1.1.1 without any problems with interference (I should probably look up what frequency it runs on by now). Would any receiver work with this? I tried looking for a LCD monitor with a receiver and battery built in from the same website, but nowhere to be found. I was thinking about getting this complete package (backordered), but it seems like overkill for my usage (planning on just being a casual FPVer and I kinda wanted the monitor mounted on my remote (I have a mount from previous drone for my phone, but its the same usage), but if that's the way to go then I'll go for it) and way too many parts to deal with (i'd rather have an all in one system with minimal parts to work with if you know what I mean).

I'm fairly certain that the P2 prop guards will fit on Phantom 1.1.1. (but might be ideal to get confirmation from anyone who's done so).

I'm not aware of the Tarot coming with a GoPro/FPV cable.
Tarot does sell a GoPro cable, maybe it comes bundled. But it does not directly plug into most FPV T'x's. again, you'll want to make sure of that. (my Tarot GoPro cable did not work with my Fatshark Tx).

Some FPV systems are interchangeable and will run on the same frequencies.
so you could perhaps put together your own bundle.
try this place perhaps
http://www.getfpv.com/fpv.html
or
http://www.atlantahobby.com/Store/pc/vi ... tegory=699

I fly with the Goodluckbuy gimbal on my v1 Phantom and I have used 15mm inside diameter pipe insulation foam on the landing gear. This provides plenty of ground clearance, cushioning for landings, and a slightly larger footprint reducing the likelyhood of the Phantom tipping when landing on uneven surfaces.

Regards

Nidge

Re: Questions! [see latest posts]

Updates! Yay!

So today the my Dji Phantom 1.1.1 came in today and was put together meticulously quick in about less than an hour. The Tarot T-2D however, took like 3-4 hours to mount.. It was already assembled yesterday, but this Tarot mount was a nightmare to work with. Should I even explain? Also (added to todays nightmare), my GoPro came in today as well. But the seller gave me the wrong one! I wanted the 3+ Black, and they sent me the model before that one (without the plus). So now I have to deal with returning that GoPro and looking for a seller locally for about the same price.. or else my gimbal (which is already wired to the phantom) would just keep twitching and actually I'm having problems getting the gimbal to update.

Anyways, It turns out there was a local hobby shop near my place (Pacific Coast Hobbies), so I just drove there and I bought (and took the gamble) the Phantom 2 prop guards and two sets of propellers. The guy who worked there wasn't sure it would fit either, but he said go for it. Totally beats waiting for them in the mail plus postage (and eBay pricing).

But **drum rolls** I am pleased to confirm that these fit perfectly on the Phantom 1.1.1!

Here's a small little photo:
http://i60.tinypic.com/348pvs8.jpg (<-Clicky. Photos doesn't scale on forum and it's too big to upload.)
Yep, that's P2 guards and propellers on a 1.1.1. :)
According to my kitchen scale, the overall weight without a GoPro is exactly 1092g. I hope I don't have any problems flying.

But now I think I've run into a new problem.

I did a firmware update on everything.. was the receiver supposed to be D-BUS or PPM?

D-BUS works, but PPM doesn't.. not sure which one I'm supposed to use since I've read that PPM is the one I need (I think). I need clarification.

Also, what propeller balancer should I get for the self-tightening propellers?

Nidge said:
I fly with the Goodluckbuy gimbal on my v1 Phantom and I have used 15mm inside diameter pipe insulation foam on the landing gear. This provides plenty of ground clearance, cushioning for landings, and a slightly larger footprint reducing the likelyhood of the Phantom tipping when landing on uneven surfaces.

Regards

Nidge

I've seen someone use that on their phantom and I am going for that as well. I think I'm already pushing the limits over my phantoms weight, plus the foam skids sounds really good just in case of a water landing which I hope would never happen, but who knows.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31