Questions for all Phantom Pilots

It's encouraging that the majority of those who have replied have simply entered into the spirit of the original questions and answered, and I thank you all once again for having the courtesy to reply.

It's surprising that one or two are suspicious of my motives, but I guess that's the way of the world. This is a US site, my sites are for a UK audience. What sort of spammer would bother trying to draw traffic out of the US to make purchases on the UK sites?

.Quadzilla. said:
2trickpony said:
Why have you put a dot in front of your name Quadzilla?

To match the one at the end.

Why have you use a numeric 2 rather than spelling out two in front of your name?

Because 2 and two sound the same and I didnt want to use <too> many letters.
So you should be addressed as dotquadzilladot from now on then?
Unusual username, to say the least.
Funnily enough, there is someone else on this forum with a similar name.

Drone Camera Films said:
It's encouraging that the majority of those who have replied have simply entered into the spirit of the original questions and answered, and I thank you all once again for having the courtesy to reply.

It's surprising that one or two are suspicious of my motives, but I guess that's the way of the world. This is a US site, my sites are for a UK audience. What sort of spammer would bother trying to draw traffic out of the US to make purchases on the UK sites?

Plenty of US folks buy stuff from the UK.

Pull_Up said:
There was, until the account appeared to get banned...

Welcome back, Pete!

Aw Pull-Up, you spoiled my fun !!!

2trickpony said:
Plenty of US folks buy stuff from the UK.

I'll take your word for it, but my assertion still stands.

Welcome to the forum .Quadzilla.! Good to see new blood here. :p

Drone Camera Films said:
This is a US site, my sites are for a UK audience. What sort of spammer would bother trying to draw traffic out of the US to make purchases on the UK sites?
its not really a 'US' site as far as members go. Its very international with quite a contingent from UK.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Drone Camera Films said:
  1. How did you get started? I pulled both sticks to center down position
  2. Did you buy a small, trainer drone before buying a Phantom? No- I tied a series of pieces of string to a beetle and flew him like you ride a horse
  3. If you bought a small quadcopter first, how many hours practice did you put in before buying a Phantom? I have an irrational fear of the number 4, so I taped a 5th prop to the top but it wouldn't fly- so I ate it.
  4. Have you had any training or mentoring from experienced pilots, or are you entirely self-taught? I like steak
  5. Do you regard your Phantom as a stepping stone to bigger, more complex multirotors or will you stick with it?
I regard my Phantom as a sentient being capable of astral travel into the past but unable to affect anything... kinda like in Star Trek but past tense instead of future. (emphasis on the tense)

As you can see, I'm trying to get an idea of whether or not a structured approach is better than just buying one and jumping in at the deep end. I expect there's no right answer for everyone, but it would be interesting to know how people develop their skills.

I consume lots of blue colored foods, and recite ancient Sumerian chants to a select alumni of dieties.

Hiway said:
Drone Camera Films said:
  2. Did you buy a small, trainer drone before buying a Phantom? No- I tied a series of pieces of string to a beetle and flew him like you ride a horse
  3. If you bought a small quadcopter first, how many hours practice did you put in before buying a Phantom? I have an irrational fear of the number 4, so I taped a 5th prop to the top but it wouldn't fly- so I ate it.
  4. Have you had any training or mentoring from experienced pilots, or are you entirely self-taught? I like steak
  5. Do you regard your Phantom as a stepping stone to bigger, more complex multirotors or will you stick with it?
I regard my Phantom as a sentient being capable of astral travel into the past but unable to affect anything... kinda like in Star Trek but past tense instead of future. (emphasis on the tense)

As you can see, I'm trying to get an idea of whether or not a structured approach is better than just buying one and jumping in at the deep end. I expect there's no right answer for everyone, but it would be interesting to know how people develop their skills.

I consume lots of blue colored foods, and recite ancient Sumerian chants to a select alumni of dieties.

:D

You've probably worked out that I'm new to this and don't own a Phantom yet, but soon will.

Liked the mention of astral travel. That's what so many of the YouTube vids remind me of.

IrishSights said:
Drone Camera Films said:
This is a US site, my sites are for a UK audience. What sort of spammer would bother trying to draw traffic out of the US to make purchases on the UK sites?
its not really a 'US' site as far as members go. Its very international with quite a contingent from UK.

Thanks. I'm better informed now.

How did you get started? - Someone sent me a video link of a favorite beach shot with a Phantom and Gopro. I was hooked.
Did you buy a small, trainer drone before buying a Phantom? Yes - Blade QX - currently for sale on Ebay but well worth the small investment.
If you bought a small quadcopter first, how many hours practice did you put in before buying a Phantom? 2 hours maybe - the Phantom can be flown brainlessly in comparison which is why I'd guess there are so many mishaps.
Have you had any training or mentoring from experienced pilots, or are you entirely self-taught? Yes plus years ago I spent many hours trying to master a flight simulator.
Do you regard your Phantom as a stepping stone to bigger, more complex multirotors or will you stick with it? Stepping stone - just like most drugs I've experimented with.

OI Photography said:
Hiway said:

Real men pull-start each motor individually :twisted:

I hired a raunchy redhead to suck start them with a 1/4in piece of fuel line. :twisted:

Drone Camera Films said:

You've probably worked out that I'm new to this and don't own a Phantom yet, but soon will.

First rule... you don't own a Phantom; it owns you.
Second rule... don't believe everything you read on the forumz- some of us dropped too much LSD when younger and now are barely in touch with reality.
Third rule...and this is the tough one... not more than 2 minutes after your first confident flight with this contraption the epiphany hits you... you want something bigger with more capability. So when that happens; refer to the first rule, and then start dropping LSD.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik