Questions before purchasing a Phantom 2 Vision

Reaction score
I'm interested in purchasing a DJI quadcopter, however before I do, i'm curious if the issues i've been reading about are widespread or really focused on a small population?

It seems most issues i've come across pertain to the invalid battery issue, fly aways, and drifting. Most of these issues seem to be reported late last year, so i'm curious if the issues have been resolved in newer production models, or firmware updates.

If DJI is still ironing out the kinks, and it's really a roll of the dice at this point, I'd rather hold off.

Thanks!

Well I got mine in early January, and lost it to a flyaway, I promptly got a second overnighted thanks to Amazon Customer service at no charge (I might add), the second one with the new upgraded telemetry pins have flown flawlessly. Now mind you, IF you do buy one make sure you download the DJI assistant software from the DJI Site for either MAC or Windows, Read all the instructions and follow them carefully, Verify that all the updates are done with DJI Assistant prior to first flight. Fly conservatively at first as you gain confidence in your flying go further, I think lots of the bugs have been worked out with the last update.
I think you will be happy. I know i am.

P.S Also read the topic on how to prevent flyaways the top of the this forum.
Me and a friend (amrflyingdude) fly every week 1 P1 and 2 P2V and its awesome, lots of fun.

Hope this helps

Hello Flynnstone,

I have noticed an increase in phantom flyers and a decrease in flyaway reports, now, not sure if its because people got tired of posting flyways here or what but in my opinion seems like they have been less and less.

I have 2 and looking in to a 3rd (f450) is the most fun I have ever had. I fly my vision to it's limits and 99.9% overwater (sometimes as far as 2k ft!) and my Phantom 1 past 3k ft via FPV and will not spend my weekends any other way.

You will get a lot of help from this forum if you have questions or issues so go ahead, get one, start slow, play safe and you will not regret it!

Hope this helps.

Dronefly.com told me they've had no problems with PV2 received "after the second shipment." I got mine from Dronefly in late January - in the third shipment - and I've had no problems whatsoever. It flies as advertised - beautifully - and I'm one happy camper (pilot). I do admit that I don't try to have the Phantom exceed its height and distance limits. I should also add that Dronefly services what they sell, whereas our local camera store does not.

I've got mine about 2 weeks ago. It had the latest firmware from Feb 20 when it arrived. It is my understanding (I could be wrong) that the latest addresses some fly away problems. Anyway, two weeks is not too long of a trial but I have not had any problems that wasn't pilot error.

If you're in a hurry to get in the sky and choose to not read the manual or video tutorial's, then yes you will probably have some kind of issue at some point. DJI has put a great deal into making the Vision user friendly. And because of this is why sales on these will be out the roof for some time to come.

Btw, my P2V crashed just 5 days ago and it was mostly due to me taken things for granted. Treat it like it really means something to you, and you might never have any problems. The member's themselves have taken a lot of precautions to make sure we have a fun experience every time you fly. They have done such things as putting together a list on what you should each time before and during flight. Use the stuff, brag to you friends and get them involved. Let your friends see how it has multiple uses. Know that people are saving lives with Multi Copter's on a regular basis. Should you need help send me a PM.

Keep in mind that DJI Phantoms are not mind reading machines. It will not know what you'd assume it would do in a given situation. So you need to calibrate your assumptions to what DJI Phantoms are programmed todo instead. And 99% of those are written down in the manual.

If your assumptions are in line with what DJI Phantoms are programmed to behave, then you will have little to no issues with your Phantoms.

HI everyone, first post here, and thought I would add to this same topic, as I too am considering getting into flying cameras, and as funds are limited, the Phantom 2 Vision seems to be a good starting point beyond flying toys - for recreational purposes only at this time.

I did some searching online here and lots of reading and there are a few questions I have yet to see answered clearly.....

• I am in Canada, I read the Transport Canada regulations on commercial use, but could not find much in specifics regarding recreational use - I know in the USA, the FAA limits altitude to 400 feet... is there such a limit in Canada?

Is a Phantom 3 Vision just around the corner? Should I be waiting?

Can anyone recommend a good dealer in the Toronto, Ontario area?

I read a recent article about a hold on shipments of Phantoms to the US due to some litigation, will that also affect availability in the land of the moose and beaver? ;)

I've watched just about all the youtube I can find on this device along with all the other UAVs out there, and I am pretty stoked about getting in... I have a large rural property, parts of which i have never seen as it is very dense forest, this is a way for me to see the whole 100 acres. I am well away from any urban center and only one small airfield anywhere nearby, so I cannot see bothering folks too much.

Thanks for any additional info you may offer, in addition to the kind assitance you've offered Flyntstone here.

Cheers. - R

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik