Questions Before I Purchase Litchi ...

Reaction score
Before I decide to purchase Litchi for my Phantom 4, I have a list of questions ...
  1. I use an iPad Air2 (128 GB) that is WiFi only. Will this work while I'm out in the field with no network/internet connection?
  2. Does flying a Litchi mission also save a traditional Phantom log that I can cloud-sync with DJI and with HealthyDrones.com?
  3. When flying a Litchi mission, are there equivalent failsafe methods as in the DJI Go app (e.g. when signal lost, battery critically low, RTH button on controller)?
  4. I understand that I cannot add actions to curved line waypoints. Let's say I have some waypoints. From W2 to W3, I have is set to curved line. However, from W3 to W4, I have it set for straight line (so that it actually reaches W4). Can I set some actions there? For instance, take a photograph? Finally, from W4 to W5 (and beyond), I have it set to curved lines.
I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thank you in advance for insight into these questions/concerns.

Before I decide to purchase Litchi for my Phantom 4, I have a list of questions ...
  1. I use an iPad Air2 (128 GB) that is WiFi only. Will this work while I'm out in the field with no network/internet connection?
  2. Does flying a Litchi mission also save a traditional Phantom log that I can cloud-sync with DJI and with HealthyDrones.com?
  3. When flying a Litchi mission, are there equivalent failsafe methods as in the DJI Go app (e.g. when signal lost, battery critically low, RTH button on controller)?
  4. I understand that I cannot add actions to curved line waypoints. Let's say I have some waypoints. From W2 to W3, I have is set to curved line. However, from W3 to W4, I have it set for straight line (so that it actually reaches W4). Can I set some actions there? For instance, take a photograph? Finally, from W4 to W5 (and beyond), I have it set to curved lines.
I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thank you in advance for insight into these questions/concerns.
1. Yes. You will need to cache maps in advance and won't be able to use functions that need GPS at the controller.

2. DJI no, HD yes. It's not an encrypted file like produced by GO app so if you loose your AC DJI will not have anything they are happy to rely on for analysis/warranty.

3. Yes to all.

4. It may be an available feature now however when I last tried it you either had a curved waypoint mission or you didn't so what your proposing wasn't possible.

On the subject of interrupting the mission by switching to "S" mode on the remote control.

What then? Do you need to fly it back on Sport from this moment on? Or if you switch back to "P" mode you can fly manually with OA, etc?

Sent using Tapatalk

I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thank you in advance for insight into these questions/concerns.​

SoCalDude,​

Do not know about Litchi, I use Autopilot, the answer to your question is yes in AP. In AP you can do exactly what you are asking, and more in Advanced Mode (Three modes in AP, Basic-Intermediate-Advanced). So in W4 you can set the mission to Hover for X amount of seconds before an action takes place, for example take a picture or take a video. You can even set the amount in seconds for long you want the video to shoot at that particular waypoint, W4 in your question.

Also you can make the aircraft go to a higher altitude before taking the picture. Let's say that altitude for W1, W2, & W3 is 175ft, so the AC is going to move from W1 to W2 at 175ft, once it has reached W2 at 175 you can make the AC go up to 200ft and how fast you want the AC to rise, take the picture and move to W3 and it will descend back to 175ft for W3. I can also make the AC Hover at W3 for x amount of time while taking pictures or shooting video.

By this I'm not saying that AP is better than Litchi. Personally I do not know the capabilities of this app, I have heard very good comments in this forum about it. One thing that everybody says is that Litchi is friendly user and easy to learn. While AP offers more options, is more complex and the learning curve takes longer.​

Yeah, if you're flying curved lines, you don't get any actions at waypoints because the drone never actually gets to that waypoint. If you remove the curve from a given waypoint, you can set an action there. What I usually do is set waypoints on the straight line flight path just before or just after curving around a waypoint.

Yeah, if you're flying curved lines, you don't get any actions at waypoints because the drone never actually gets to that waypoint. If you remove the curve from a given waypoint, you can set an action there. What I usually do is set waypoints on the straight line flight path just before or just after curving around a waypoint.
Cool!

Just so I understand...what you are saying is that I am able to mix straight line and curves between different waypoints in one mission; and for the straight lined waypoint only, I am able to create actions (hover x seconds, take photo, video, etc)?

1. Yes. You will need to cache maps in advance and won't be able to use functions that need GPS at the controller.
What are examples of such controller GPS functions?

Cool!

Just so I understand...what you are saying is that I am able to mix straight line and curves between different waypoints in one mission; and for the straight lined waypoint only, I am able to create actions (hover x seconds, take photo, video, etc)?

Litchi says that waypoint actions are disabled if "curved turns" is selected, but that has worked for me on a straight line waypoint if I set the curve for that waypoint to 1 foot.

Reactions: Junebug
Also be aware that if your mission is set to curved paths and you add a waypoint between existing waypoints, the added waypoint has no curve unless you adjust the curve radius for that waypoint. This is important because waypoints with no curve will cause the bird to stop briefly at that waypoint which may not be what you want to happen if you're wanting a smooth and continuous flight.

Also be aware that if your mission is set to curved paths and you add a waypoint between existing waypoints, the added waypoint has no curve unless you adjust the curve radius for that waypoint. This is important because waypoints with no curve will cause the bird to stop briefly at that waypoint which may not be what you want to happen if you're wanting a smooth and continuous flight.
In that scenario, could I add an action(s) to that waypoint if I left it as a straight line?

I THINK so. I haven't tried it. I just noticed it because I flew a long mission a few weeks ago and my Phantom performed perfectly except that at one point, on a straight course, it stopped briefly. When I reviewed the plan, I noticed the waypoint I added had no curve, unlike the rest of them. I gave it a curve but haven't attempted to refly the mission yet. This weekend, I'll give it a try. MacCool says yes in his post above so I'm going to "trust but verify" this weekend.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen