Questions before first long range flight

In my P2V, I can lose my FPV, but I can still have some very weak signal there. So sometimes with no FPV, I'll get an intermittent telemetery data update on something - like battery charge for instance - even though I've seemingly lost the FPV signal. The clue that I still have a signal is I still have one tiny bar, and also it hasn't given me the PHANTOM DISCONNECTED message yet.

I have no idea how this works with the P3, it might be completely different, so I will bump this for you :)

Also if the wind is helping you , use atti mode if you want to go faster. But keep in mind your phantom won't fly as straight as it did in p gps mode. So you'll occasionally need to make flight adjustments . However you can make up a lot of ground if the wind is right . Just be careful with it and I would also wait till you have a little more experience with long range flights before using it. Good luck !!

I don't believe there is a difference in max speed for PGPS versus ATTI mode. Also forward stick while in GPS mode and in wind the P3 will drift as well.

I don't believe there is a difference in max speed for PGPS versus ATTI mode. Also forward stick while in GPS mode and in wind the P3 will drift as well.
PGPS will lock around 35-37mph with tail wind. ATTI you can go faster with a tail wind.

PGPS will lock around 35-37mph with tail wind. ATTI you can go faster with a tail wind.

I disagree. I have personally seen 40-42mph in PGPS with a tailwind (4 miles out and heading back with the wind). I don't have a screen shot you'll just have to believe me.

This was discussed here a long time ago in another thread. I believe this PGPS vs ATTI mode speed difference was a Phantom 2 thing if I recall but it's not relevant with the Phantom 3's.

Well, I do have proof, please see.

okSTDi1.jpg

OK maybe I misspoke when I said "lock". Let's just say that when you switch to ATTI, the bird takes advantage of the extra help.
See video here... ATTI

Also after firmware 1.1.9 I believe that is when PGPS mode was nerfed to reduce max speed.

OK maybe I misspoke when I said "lock". Let's just say that when you switch to ATTI, the bird takes advantage of the extra help.
See video here... ATTI

Also after firmware 1.1.9 I believe that is when PGPS mode was nerfed to reduce max speed.

That is an interesting video indeed. I will have to test my P3A. The only reduction in speed/power that I am aware of was in the most recent firmware to mitigate cold temp battery shutdown during flight. It wasn't related to flight modes though.

Yes, I've done many tests. This video just happened to be this weekend. There was about a 5mph wind which I tested by switching to ATTI and measuring drift. Kinda cool how it just rockets off from 38 to 50mph. Sure there could have been a gust but I've done this test several times across many days and the results are always pretty dramatic.

The speed reduction to prevent battery failure was DJIs latest doing. But they reduced speed several version back. Like I said, I believe 1.1.9 is the last version before reducing PGPS speed.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20