Questions after first flight(s)

Reaction score
First day with my new bird (a P3P) and I've got a couple flights in.

I wanted to pose two questions (and the reason for the questions)

While flying my second flight, I had the phantom at about 150 feet. Out of nowhere a flock of birds came in and started flying VERY close with much interest and circling.

I started descending as fast as I could. This brings up my questions:

1. To turn the motors off, you pull down on the left stick for 3 seconds. Is the phantom smart enough to know when it's in flight and to NOT shut down motors? I guess I am wondering what the most optimal way to rapidly descend is. I had this terrible vision of my phantom falling from the sky by me accidentally holding the left stick down by accident.

2. Would prop guards help protect against potential bird strikes? I am not sure of the pros and cons of those, but the birds toying with MY bird freaked me out!

Thanks guys.

First day with my new bird (a P3P) and I've got a couple flights in.

I wanted to pose two questions (and the reason for the questions)

While flying my second flight, I had the phantom at about 150 feet. Out of nowhere a flock of birds came in and started flying VERY close with much interest and circling.

I started descending as fast as I could. This brings up my questions:

1. To turn the motors off, you pull down on the left stick for 3 seconds. Is the phantom smart enough to know when it's in flight and to NOT shut down motors? I guess I am wondering what the most optimal way to rapidly descend is. I had this terrible vision of my phantom falling from the sky by me accidentally holding the left stick down by accident.

2. Would prop guards help protect against potential bird strikes? I am not sure of the pros and cons of those, but the birds toying with MY bird freaked me out!

Thanks guys.
1. Yes, it is smart enough. Only a CSC will shut down in flight
2. No idea, but probably not much help with them on

To answer number 1.

No the motors won't turn off in flight. It can sense when it is stable and not descending before it shuts the motors off. This is why it takes a few seconds before they shut down.

As for # 2 ? Don't know but I have seen on YouTube a few videos of birds attacking. In those situations I don't think anything would have helped!

Good luck!

1. No. The motor won't turn off while flying. It already smart enough to detect The bird already on the ground or not
2. No. Prop guard just save the prop from obstacle on side.

1) smart enough to know

2) prop guards are stupid and will cause a vortex ring state

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

1) Ditto
2) Prop guards for low-level, close flights (i.e., beginners) or indoors. I use the kind I can snap on and off depending on what I need to do.

The best defense in that scenario is to ascend full throttle, straight up, way up. They can't keep up with your ascend rate. Once you get way above them, get out of there with full throttle forward at 30mph in a direction clear of them best as possible. When your in the clear then circle around and land. Don't fly there again.

Reactions: Othan1
Thanks guys.

I found a million posts about the throttle down question after posting so I apologize for the redundancy!

As to the bird info, thanks for the tips guys.

Answer 1. A friend of mine here in the UK has a P3A and he was lying (legally) at around 300ft, when suddenly an RAF Chinook on a low flying exercise came out of nowhere.

The operator then did the CSC command as he wanted it down the quickest way possible, and so the bird did. Onto a field of wheat that softened the blow, just both legs broken, now replaced.

Lucky I guess, now he gets the NOTAMs on low flying NATO exercises which is really valuable as the last thing he wants is a lock-on from a Typhoon fighter.

Its always keeping in mind of the unusual happening when your in flight, knowing how to do an emergency landing and keep a look out for the unexpected.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj