Questions about some of these "complete packages"

Reaction score
So I have pocketed away some money to get one of these rigs. To save myself a lot of time, I am planning on purchasing one of these complete packages from one of the authorized dealers: atlanta hobbies, or B&H as they seem to have the most complete packages for reasonable prices (DSLRpros seem to have lost their mind with their packages).

My question to the general audience here is, has anyone dealt with either company and if so, how was the experience and transaction?

B&H is a good company to deal with. I purchase most of my pro video stuff from them. I did purchase my Phantom 2 from them. At the time they didn't have the kits listed on their website they do now. If they had I would have bought one from them.

+1 on B&H. Have been using them for years for both photo and some pro-audio gear. I bought the vision package (vision + case). I have not received it yet.

B&H had a complete package that was actually a better deal than buying everything individually. In most cases when you buy a "package" you normally get a discount because you're buying so much. For example, video games and computers. With packages for the phantom, you get hosed. Depending. The idea behind the phantom 2 was that most people fly with a gimbal and FPV/osd. The phantom 2 comes as ready to fly out of the box as possible. The gimbal can be attached in a few minutes and the FPV system is almost plug and play (some soldering is needed). Unless you went with a plug and play cable (you'll have to take apart the phantom to install it so it's sort of a wash on time).

Anyways, buying a package with the phantom 1 meant someone else did all the hard work of installing everything. Which on a phantom 1 was more difficult. You would pay more than the value of all the items in the package because you're paying for someone to take them off their shelves, open the boxes, install them, put them in a box, mail them to you. There were also a lot more moving parts with everything as far as wiring and battery length and upgrades that would need to be done to a phantom 1 to get it to you. Thus the price jump. Yes dslrpro did lose their mind on this but some people still bought them.

Now jump to the phantom 2. A product so easy my wife assembled hers. You can spend extra to buy a package with the phantom 2 or you can do it yourself. I think you'll find that if you do it yourself, you're looking at an hour of work, tops. Everything you need is available online. Buy the phantom 2 with zenmuse and buy the mini iosd. That setup right there is plug and play. Now you have two options, if you can solder you can install the FPV that way or you can get the plug and play cable http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/cables ... ransmitter and open the shell. I went with the cable (still waitin on it) because it will make for a cleaner look. Opening the phantom will add some time but it a walk in the park. Once you install the cable and FPV you're pretty much done. Pick your viewer (goggles or a screen) and connect it and fly. If you really want to buy a package, you can. But when you install it yourself you'll become familiar with the parts for when thing may and will break. You'll be able to fix things in the field and continue flying.

If you want a package, b&h is the way to go.

I almost bought a "package" from B&H last week. Actually had it in my shopping cart. Went back the next day in the morning to buy it and saw the price had gone up $200.00. They have 5-6 different packages and the price went up on all of them. Didn't buy it

That's right. You were the one. I was trying to remember who that was. It was a rock solid deal before the price bump.

Thanks guys. I will price out the various components to see what the cost will be that way; however, they do guarantee it out of the box, and there is something to be said for that. My main concerns are exactly that: time and proper function, for which I will pay a premium. But, if the labor is marginal and cost savings substantial, I will go that route instead.

In any case, it seems B&H has some decent endorcements here, which offers a degree of confidence. I am a bit confused by their package deals however. I was looking them over on my phone (what I am using now) so maybe it isnt directing me to the proper pages, but they have several packages related to the P2, all at various prices. I do not, however, see any differentiation between the packages other than price... maybe I missed something. I will look it over on my computer later.

The are the same zenmuse. The difference is that one is for the phantom 2 so it comes with a mount in an X shape and no gcu while the other is for every other quad and it comes with a + shaped mount and the gcu. Buying the one for the phantom 2 is foolish because you could just buy the phantom 2 with zenmuse package and it's like getting the same zenmuse for half the price.

Cirrob said:
So I have pocketed away some money to get one of these rigs. To save myself a lot of time, I am planning on purchasing one of these complete packages from one of the authorized dealers: atlanta hobbies, or B&H as they seem to have the most complete packages for reasonable prices (DSLRpros seem to have lost their mind with their packages).

My question to the general audience here is, has anyone dealt with either company and if so, how was the experience and transaction?

I just got my " package " deal from http://www.305drones.com Phantom 2 with H3-2D gimbal and an extra battery. Phantom 2 was 869.00 with Gimbal and they gave me 50% off the second battery ! I was happy with them.

Ksc said:
That's right. You were the one. I was trying to remember who that was. It was a rock solid deal before the price bump.

Yup, I felt like kicking myself for waiting another day.

If anyone has a link for a complete FPV package please post it up. I would rather buy a package from one place than a bunch of components

Thanks

If anyone has a link for a complete FPV package please post it up. I would rather buy a package from one place than a bunch of components

Thanks

FASTFJR said:

Thanks

Here's a ink for a complete package from Atlanta Hobby. I've been thinking about this one myself but it's still on backorder. Waiting to see if anything else becomes available in the meantime...

http://www.atlantahobby.com/Store/pc/vi ... tegory=868

lgeist said:
FASTFJR said:

Thanks

Here's a ink for a complete package from Atlanta Hobby. I've been thinking about this one myself but it's still on backorder. Waiting to see if anything else becomes available in the meantime...

http://www.atlantahobby.com/Store/pc/vi ... tegory=868

Thanks, for that price its almost worth it to get if from B&H. See what DFI has to offer after the show

Jdacal said:
This is the one I have on order. I added the iosd option to it. Its expensive but they have a lot of experience with aerial photography so I'm hoping that counts for something when they assemble it.

http://aerialmediapros.com/store/home/4 ... combo.html

Wow, I guess if you have the cash its not a bad way to go but man thats expensive. I've always wondered on packages like that what do they do with the factory transmitter? Or do they just purchase the P2 without it?

I purchased the one from Atlanta Hobby and it is great.Everything worked right out of the box and with a few simple modifications to the case I can fit in all the cables along with the monitor and receiver for the fpv. The only thing it needs is the mini iosd which I ordered after and installed myself and your bracket of choice for the monitor. I was afraid to get the parts and pieces and put it together myself, but this worked out great.Everything works the way it should and the installation of everything is very neat and professional. I would highly recommend this kit to anyone like me who is new to all this stuff and isn't good with soldering.

ppdrone said:

I don't know anything about this place but their prices are very fair. No up charge in gear and a flat service fee which is fair. Hobby shops charge between $50 and $100 but you also have to get there and then usually wait a few days for them to do it. So for $99 thats a good price.

$1584 for P2 with zenmuse and FPV and mini iosd with everything installed and in a travel case.
$1743 if you add a second battery (what aerial media pros is doing)

so aerial media pros wants $2700 for a rig that costs under $1700. Granted they are also using a $600 futaba so technically they want $2100 for a $1700 setup. In my eyes, I'd rather get the Aerial Technology setup for $1743 and spend the other $400 buck on stuff for the ground station and another battery. Thats just me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.