Questions about parts and issues after repair, need help identifying parts

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

New to the forum, as this is my first post, but looking to collaborate with everyone in the future!

History:
In May of 2016, I purchase my Phantom 3 Professional brand new. Unfortunately, in late August, I made a mistake which caused my Phantom to crash and break. It still powered on and connected, but the motors would not spin due to an "ESC" error.

Long story short, I sent my phantom into DJI (Carson, CA) for repair. After paying $300+ for the repairs, I received it a week or so ago and have some questions maybe some of you guys might be able to answer.

The (Possible) Issues:
After flying it around and taking a couple pictures, it seems like the crispiness of the camera is missing. My pictures don't seem as sharp as the pictures from before. It could be different lighting, could be psycological (lol), but it was a red flag nonetheless. Video seems good, clear and crisp, but the photos don't seem especially great for a $1,000 drone after the repair.

Then I noticed that the gimbal I received (Or at least the square encased motherboard holding the gimbal) has a different serial number than the one I originally sent in. They didn't say anything in the invoice about wanting to repair/replace the gimbal, but then again maybe I am not reading the invoice correctly. I also noticed the rear of the of the gimbal, there was a very noticeable blemish on the silver paint. Lastly, I noticed that the fan was completely different. The fan on my old gimbal was black and silver, and looked nice. Whereas the fan on the gimbal. Is it possible they used a different gimbal to replace mine?

A couple other parts that they replaced seem to be used with visible signs of wear, such as the right landing gear. I know they say they can use refurbished parts when needed but I feel for a $1000 drone, that if they use refurbished parts, they should show no signs of wear.

Another issue I noticed was the range was significantly decreased on my one flight. Less than a mile out I was receiving low signal errors. The path between me and the drone was clear and unrestricted. Is this normal for the P3P?

Lastly, On the DJI Go app, If I go into my flight history, It shows 3 pages. One associated with my name/profile, one associated with my Phantom 3 professional (history for speed, and flight data), and a third, and new since the repair page, that only says "Phantom 3"... no Professional.

Here are my questions:
- Are there any part diagrams that would help me identify which parts were replaced during the repair? I am curious to see which individual parts they replaced per the invoice
- Are there different versions of parts? Obviously they have a couple different gimbal fans, where can I find out why it was changed from the nice silver one, to the aged-looking, manilla one?
- Is there any software that would allow me to hook the Phantom 3 up to a computer and see the part numbers of each component?
- I know the antennas for the drone run through the landing gear, but where does it actually connect internally? Do they connect to the gimbal for some reason, the VPS, or somewhere else?
- Is there anything else I should be concerned about
- Could I send or post a couple DNG images for you guys to look at and compare with yours, I would appreciate your feedback on the quality.

Being my first post, I don't want to sound like I am blaming DJI for anything, or that I think my P3P is the Bentley of Drones, I am just looking for more information. So if you have any input, it would be greatly appreciated!

Here are some Photos:

upload pictures

Thanks,
Jake

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31