Questions about optimizing fpv wifi range

Reaction score
well the wife took the plunge and got me a Standard for Christmas. I've had a Syma x5 for a few months now practicing and getting used to things. I live in Columbus, Ohio in the suburbs and took it into a greenspace in my neighborhood for the first flight. My question is does other wifi signals coming from the hundreds of homes in my neighborhood affect my fpv signal and by how much? Also does cloudy coverage affect the fpv range? I was getting about 300-400' with direct line of sight before loosing video signal. I'm guessing I should get more when out in the boonies with direct line of sight.

My question is does other wifi signals coming from the hundreds of homes in my neighborhood affect my fpv signal and by how much?
It could. Go fly your Phantom in a location where there is absolutely no chance of interference and you'll be able to see how much the signal is affected.

Also does cloudy coverage affect the fpv range?
No.

I was getting about 300-400' with direct line of sight before loosing video signal.
You should be able to reach close to 3,280 feet (per DJI's specs). Try aiming the antenna as seen below and make sure you're pointing your remote controller directly at your Phantom at all times.

p3s-antenna-position-jpg.38550

You should be able to reach close to 3,280 feet (per DJI's specs). Try aiming the antenna as seen below and make sure you're pointing your remote controller directly at your Phantom at all times.
So the antenae should be sideways? I was reading that the long edge should be angled so that it is facing the phantom but I've just angled it up and had the long edge facing the phantom?

Also does the wifi signal come from the front (plastic) portrion of the controller? So the antenae really has nothing to do with the video signal?

I was reading that the long edge should be angled so that it is facing the phantom but I've just angled it up and had the long edge facing the phantom?
Sideways works best. If you point your antenna straight up, you might get a weak signal when your Phantom is directly overhead and/or nearby.

Also does the wifi signal come from the front (plastic) portrion of the controller?
Form the corners of your remote controller. You should see messages on other side on the top of your remote controller that mention those antennas.

well the wife took the plunge and got me a Standard for Christmas. I've had a Syma x5 for a few months now practicing and getting used to things. I live in Columbus, Ohio in the suburbs and took it into a greenspace in my neighborhood for the first flight. My question is does other wifi signals coming from the hundreds of homes in my neighborhood affect my fpv signal and by how much? Also does cloudy coverage affect the fpv range? I was getting about 300-400' with direct line of sight before loosing video signal. I'm guessing I should get more when out in the boonies with direct line of sight.
Hi as I'm aware the standard has not got lightbridge so the range I don't think will be as good as the advanced or pro, your best bet is the 32 channels hack called configs file, install that then buy a windsurfer Ariel mod or make your own, I've done both on my 2 phantoms now I can fly 3 miles but more importantly I have full signal all the time never looses signal. Good luck.

Hi as I'm aware the standard has not got lightbridge so the range I don't think will be as good as the advanced or pro, your best bet is the 32 channels hack called configs file, install that then buy a windsurfer Ariel mod or make your own, I've done both on my 2 phantoms now I can fly 3 miles but more importantly I have full signal all the time never looses signal. Good luck.
Yup I knew that going into it, expecting .6 miles. Just trying to figure out how the rc and video signal relay from the phantom and controller.

Can you link the config file. I cant find it anywhere
You need to type dji configs file into Google, then click on 3rd listing down, dji forum/ dji remote from8 ch to 32 ch... 7 Aug 2015 when that page opens you'll see the link rc groups.com / forums/ showatt.php?s=............................. Click that one. Good luck

You need to type dji configs file into Google, then click on 3rd listing down, dji forum/ dji remote from8 ch to 32 ch... 7 Aug 2015 when that page opens you'll see the link rc groups.com / forums/ showatt.php?s=............................. Click that one. Good luck
Does this work with the standard? I thought it didn't but I don't know.

Do trees with foliage interfere with the fpv connection? How much?
Yes. Any objects between you and your Phantom will degrade the signals.

How much? Well, it depends on how many trees and how much foliage is on the trees. In general though, it would be best not to fly behind trees.

Reactions: toddseimer

32 channel hack doesnt work on the standard.... and windsurfer wouldnt help the wifi distance, it would only help the rc distance on the P3S. People with the P3A/P3P see some results with the windsurfer, but people with the P3S, havent really heard of anyone getting great results with a windsurfer.

Reactions: dirkclod
32 channel hack doesnt work on the standard.... and windsurfer wouldnt help the wifi distance, it would only help the rc distance on the P3S. People with the P3A/P3P see some results with the windsurfer, but people with the P3S, havent really heard of anyone getting great results with a windsurfer.
That's what I had thought after reading the forums but then I saw them selling them for the standard on eBay. Makes sense though since the wifi doesn't use the antennae.

Well 4 flights in and I think I've answered my question about optimizing wifi range. Yesterday I flew it at a golf course where no wifi signals registered on my iPhone and got great fpv the entire time, never cut out once. Flew again over corn fields without any other routers in range and didn't have any problems. Flew out my backyard over a subdivision later that day and signal lost after about 400 yards. So other routers in range do interfere with the fpv on the P3S. The less radio, metal interference the better. Haven't tested it in the city yet.

Well 4 flights in and I think I've answered my question about optimizing wifi range. Yesterday I flew it at a golf course where no wifi signals registered on my iPhone and got great fpv the entire time, never cut out once. Flew again over corn fields without any other routers in range and didn't have any problems. Flew out my backyard over a subdivision later that day and signal lost after about 400 yards. So other routers in range do interfere with the fpv on the P3S. The less radio, metal interference the better. Haven't tested it in the city yet.
You see without lightbridge you won't get decent range I think the p3s is half a mile same as the solo drones range ! I fly my ps3 pro on channel 30 with windsurfer mod and get 3.2 miles , never fly that distance again though to scary. I was just testing it, but it's nice to have rock solid connection when flying locally.

What is decent range defined as? 400 feet, 400 yards, 1 mile, 5 miles? Everybody has different uses for their drones and getting 3.2 miles isn't everybody's desire. I haven't heard any P3S owners say they didn't know that they couldn't fly beyond .5 miles, it's clearly stated that that's the range of the P3S. I feel like half of the posts on this forum are P3A and P3P owners bragging about how great their drone is and how awful the P3S is. I paid half what you paid and am well aware of the limitations on distance and video of the P3S. I will be using my drone more for aerial photography and videography and will probably not fly it beyond 1800' when shooting.

Reactions: terry_g_c and Jay H
Well toddy good for you lol, I paid 1200 pounds but got 2 for the price of one, through an internet error they told me i could keep the other one, so there you go! if you think Im bragging about the p3pro against your p3s I wasn't you see im 45 years of age and to mature for that, you seem to sensitive m8 to be on here why dont you go join another forum and spread your negativity there if all us p3a & p3p are that bad.

Well toddy good for you lol, I paid 1200 pounds but got 2 for the price of one, through an internet error they told me i could keep the other one, so there you go! if you think Im bragging about the p3pro against your p3s I wasn't you see im 45 years of age and to mature for that, you seem to sensitive m8 to be on here why dont you go join another forum and spread your negativity there if all us p3a & p3p are that bad.
Wow, so just to clarify you cheated an internet company out of a drone, spend your time "answering questions" about a drone you don't own and suggest people leave the forum community when they push back a little about your comments...Head on over the P3A/P forum, I'm sure you'll be more welcome there. BTW, I hope you don't drive anything less than a Maserati because you are just wasting your time with any inferior car and don't expect superior power, handling or interior trim with any other brand, why would anybody own anything less...

Reactions: amrunner4

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj