Question: when your drone goes into Auto...,

Reaction score
When your drone goes into auto return mode, will it generally land safely on ashphalt without tipping over? Also any tips on video taking when doing a rotation

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Quadcopter, Aircraft or bird. Not a drone.LOL
Yes as long as the ground it level and free of debris, it will softly land and shut itself off.
Video taking while rotating? I am not sure what you mean. maybe turn very slowly. ?

Yes, you can adjust the yaw speed.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
but I would not mess with anything unless you know what the settings do. Just be a little lighter on the sticks. With practice you can have the quad turn at the speed you want without any adjustments.

Reactions: cfd701
Sometimes RTH descent can be a little fast, & when the touchdown occurs, it can be a quite firm, even creating a small bounce of the drone. It's better in my feeling, to take over landing where possible, and have complete control. When it returns to land, and starts to descend, always pay close attention to where it will actually touch down, as the exact spot can, and often is, a few feet, or a meter away from the take off-home point, which it recorded while warming up.
You might need to redirect it, even a tiny bit...

Turn the drone slower by touching controls softer, less stick input. ;-)
Softer nudges are best, rather than our aggressive purposeful pushing and tilting the sticks. Turning when the phantom is hovering/sitting still, rather than in a bombing mission, can also present a more pleasant motion, to the viewer... Haha
I am one who needs this advice myself, and often catch myself doing speed turns, only to regret this error in photography, after, transferring my days flights, & then reviewing my several vids on the computer at home.

I admire other members videos here most, where flight is generally slow, with smooth transitions, calm movements of the camera gimbal & particularly while both are being smoothly manipulated together. Tilt and turn. Practice? I know, and I do!! ;-)
That over many other parameters seems to bring more professionalism to a video before editing and presentation, than a lot of other features, that are also important and require the videographers attention. Lengthening your RC sticks can also help some pilots, by giving a slightly more precise input and this may also allow you better control in turns.
If that makes sense, great. ;-)

Flying slower by giving less right stick... going forward in a crawl.
She said "Go Gently Bently".

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
When your drone goes into auto return mode, will it generally land safely on ashphalt without tipping over?
You can cancel RTH at any time and resume control.
You don't have to let RTh do the landing.
Most pilots can select a landing spot better than blind programming.

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31