Question: Starting a drone photography company

I do! That's why I will be starting an LLC to work with realtors and contractors for house pictures, roof inspections, etc. I REFUSE to recognize the FAA's ridiculous rule of requiring a pilot's license to fly a drone. The rest of you wimps feel free to jump through their hoops, and yes, I obey all rules regarding airports, hospitals, etc.

Do you know what class G and class E airspace is? How about weather requirements for those airspace's? Can you look at a chart and find public airports and tell me which have instrument approaches? What's the CTAF and TPA for the field you will be flying close to? Where are you operating relative to a VOR? If you can, that's awesome! I would wager most can't... These are the things pilots can do that it is my belief that the FAA wants commercial drone operators to be able to. Yes, it's ridiculous for the pilot requirement, but at the same time, those of us with pilots certificates tend to show the most respect for the NAS.

I hope the aeronautical knowledge requirements for the drone license, when they make one, are up to pilot standards. I also am hoping for a requirement for commercial operators to have a hand held VHF radio to at least have some idea what's going on around them, I always carry one and make the occasional position report when I see a super cub hugging the trees nearby.

Do you know what class G and class E airspace is? How about weather requirements for those airspace's? Can you look at a chart and find public airports and tell me which have instrument approaches? What's the CTAF and TPA for the field you will be flying close to? Where are you operating relative to a VOR? If you can, that's awesome! I would wager most can't... These are the things pilots can do that it is my belief that the FAA wants commercial drone operators to be able to. Yes, it's ridiculous for the pilot requirement, but at the same time, those of us with pilots certificates tend to show the most respect for the NAS.

I hope the aeronautical knowledge requirements for the drone license, when they make one, are up to pilot standards. I also am hoping for a requirement for commercial operators to have a hand held VHF radio to at least have some idea what's going on around them, I always carry one and make the occasional position report when I see a super cub hugging the trees nearby.
Just to play devils advocate for a second, why are you singling out commercial operators if your true concern is about NAS safety? Seems like hobbyist pilots and commercial pilots would pose the same level of risk. Would you agree with a mandatory drone pilot license to operate for hobby or commercial to protect the NAS?

Hobby operators should be restricted to class G airspace only, 5 miles from airports, 400 feet agl, 100 feet from people in my opinion. Maybe require some sort of certificate for any drone capable of climbing over 200'? Hey if I had all the answers, I wouldn't be here discussing with you :)

Reactions: Milo223
Yes. You need a minimum of a recreational or sport pilot license. It's only ridiculous because the FAA is dragging their feet on finalizing the rules for SUAS. Once those rules are out, a pilot license will still be required, but people will only have to take a paper test to obtain it. And, the 333 exemption won't be necessary for most people.
First of all, the FAA can't make laws - only develop guidelines and regulations. The federal government has no authority whatsoever to regulate the operation of remote-controlled model aircraft.

Isn't a Regulation also a portion of law? Regulations are how the Gvt handles certain laws etc. Often times they are called "Federal Law".

Congress gives certain agencies the task of creating regulations. Regulations set specific requirements about what is legal and what isn't. Regulations are mandatory requirements that can apply to individuals, businesses, state or local governments, non-profit institutions, or others.

I'm not an attorney so what I state above is just another comment on a public forum and at the end of the day you have to make your own best judgement calls. Remember it's your tailfeathers on the line should you face some type of enforcement.

First of all, the FAA can't make laws - only develop guidelines and regulations. The federal government has no authority whatsoever to regulate the operation of remote-controlled model aircraft.

You are 100% incorrect. The FAA governs the NAS. Anything flying in the NAS is subject to FAA regulations. Regulations are enforceable by law. End of story.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic