Question Regarding Compass Calibration

Anyone have any idea what the compass in the controller end is for??
You need compass available in your controller to get an accurate depiction of heading in the radar on DJI GO. Next time your powered up in the ground turn your remote around and watch the pointer. It should continue to reflect the relative heading of your AC.

You need compass available in your controller to get an accurate depiction of heading in the radar on DJI GO. Next time your powered up in the ground turn your remote around and watch the pointer. It should continue to reflect the relative heading of your AC.
But if you're following FCC regulations and don't take your eyes off the drone, you shouldn't be needing, using or even glancing at that while in flight.

But thanks.

But if you're following FCC regulations and don't take your eyes off the drone, you shouldn't be needing, using or even glancing at that while in flight.

But thanks.

This is all visual aid, help you in case you close your eyes for a while :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Blinking is forbidden by Obama's FAA, as it's a break (however brief) in direct line-of-sight viewing...

But thanks.
I won't tell you how to fly. I will say I find your stated position to be fallacious. The FAA recommends AC be maintained within VLOS, they don't, to my knowledge, preclude the operator from looking at visual instrumentation.

I use all available information to my benefit. Are you proposing that I not look at battery level/cell voltage, GPS status, various warnings that may display, altitude, speed etc while in flight also?

So is it OK to hold the controller which is holding the tablet while calibration or should I set that down somewhere?

I haven't worried ever about watch, jewellery, coins or keys when calibrating and have never had an issue. The compass is only effected by ferrous metals. Many mechanical compasses have stainless steel or brass enclosures. Your watch may have some ferrous metal however of its mechanical will be mainly brass and nickel in the movement with precious metals and/or stainless steel in the case/band. Coins and keys are also non ferrous.

It's easy to check the influence of a particular thing, fire up the bird and AC and open the sensor screen and watch the mod value as you bring it close to the compass. No change means it can't be having an influence.
Hi With the Birds,
Careful, some stainless steel can be slightly magnetic..:oops:

Hi With the Birds,
Agreed....
Hi With the Birds,
Agreed, it certainly can be. The grades ordinarily employed in watch manufacture however should not exhibit any issue with calibraring your compass. I tried to pick up a stainless watch band with a neodymium magnet and there was no attraction at all. I didn't try the case, last thing you want is a magnetised balance wheel or any other component in the escape mechanism magnetised. Perhaps some cheap watches could have metals that are magnetic so I guess some caution may be necessary.

Iron and steel don't have a "magnetic field of their own", unless they are magnetized.
I was using simplified language.
The magnetic field may not be "their own" as it's induced by the earth's magnetic field.
However, the practical effect is the same.
Put a compass close to any steel object and see the needle deflected by it.
Don't attempt to calibrate the Phantom's compass anywhere near the distorted magnetic fields around iron, steel or power cables.

Reactions: With The Birds
Agreed....

Agreed, it certainly can be. The grades ordinarily employed in watch manufacture however should not exhibit any issue with calibraring your compass. I tried to pick up a stainless watch band with a neodymium magnet and there was no attraction at all. I didn't try the case, last thing you want is a magnetised balance wheel or any other component in the escape mechanism magnetised. Perhaps some cheap watches could have metals that are magnetic so I guess some caution may be necessary.
Hi, I'm sure watches are OK, I was thinking of compass calibration in the vicinity of stainless steel (sheets of it) or fitting a stainless steel mounted accessory to the bird.. Unlikely, but you never know, but I'm probably being pedantic.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl