Question on stock GoPro mount

Reaction score
Hi,
How is everyone finding the stock clear plastic mount with a GoPro 3 Black? I'm guessing this is made for a GoPro 2 as there is about a 10-12mm gap behind the GoPro 3 and the back inside face of the mount. So the GP3 can move around in there. Does it stay in place? I was also thinking of putting the actual GP3 case on instead but there is a fair bit of weight difference. Does this effect flight performance much?
In the not to distant future this won't be an issue as I'll be adding a gimbal anyway but not for a couple of months or so. Just want to make sure this all ok in the meantime.
Cheers, Rich

Before getting my gimbal, I used the OE: GoPro case (didn't trust the DJI hangar) and it worked fine.

three6ty: I noted the exact same thing. I have a Gopro Hero3 and there is a lot of extra room in the clam shell. IME, the camera doesn't move a bit despite the extra room. If you have any concerns whatsoever w/r/t motion ---> a shift in CG during flight, take a block of that ultra-light dark green foam used to "root" fake ornamental plants in pots or vases, and cut a tiny rectangle to take up the space.

Use the Gopro as a template and a pen to mark the block, then cut with a scalpel, utility blade or other sharp knife. The piece will weigh almost nothing. Works GREAT.

PF

Thanks all.
I also have one of those carbon anti jello mounts but if I put the gopro case on it's lower than the skids. The phantom gopro hangar is fine with about half inch clearance to ground.
Going to try both the gopro case fitted to the white mount and the phantom hangar under the anti jello mount and see what works best. Just need to wait for this **** weather to clear through now.
Will be getting a gimbal and FPV gear next month so it is only temporary anyway.
Cheers, Rich

Unless I am missing something here, the stock mount fits the GoPro 3 WITH battery back or touch screen back attached to the camera. There are other mounts shown on Shapeways designed by a fellow contributor to this BB which are designed for the camera without those accessories attached.

Kinda figured that was the case when perusing the GoPro manual and reading through the accessories. I find it stays in place just fine on the mount as-is, but the green foam I mentioned can be employed for those who have concerns.

PF

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic