Question on part 107 and hobby

Reaction score
Hello. Just joined. Recently got phantom 3 pro and I'm hooked :) its so fun to fly.
I do have a question. I'm thinking of getting certified under part 107 just for fun for now as I have no idea how to make money of it for now :)
If I get certified do I always have to follow part 107 rules or can I still fly under recreational/hobby restrictions? And only follow part 107 if I'm flying commercially? I'm confused on this part.

Thanks

Alex

As has been discussed in other threads on this forum, you need to determine which class of flying (hobby or commercial) you will be doing before you take off. For instance, you can't be hobby flying and then decide while in the air that you want to take some interesting videos because you think that there might be a market for the scenes. Of course, it would be difficult for the FAA to know what you were in the case of an incident, but if it looks like you were, for instance, flying in a manner ok for hobby but not for commercial and then switched in flight to get closer to an airport, you cold be found in violation. Yes it would be complicated but you can bet that if something happens they will be looking!

Here's the best resource on this from the FAA: Getting Started

It breaks down the requirements when flying recreationally vs commercially:
WhenToFly.png

As Richard R stated you pick before flight and you follow those rules to the completion of the flight.

For instance you could be flying in Charlie airspace as a hobbyist without getting the Airpsace Authorization from the FAA. But if you were to do something "Commercial" while flying in that same Charlie airspace you've busted the regs and have opened yourself up to the FAA's scrutiny.

For most of us there are few times when this would be an issue but there are certain instances where you have to be very clear about how/why you're flying.

Thank you all. Thats what i wanted to check is how to determine and if its interchangeable.

I think i might disagree on this. If you are Part 107 then you always have to follow the regs. (from my understanding, which might be wrong) Let's say you are flying for fun, but you are part 107 pilot. You crash your UAV and it causes damage. The FAA finds out. You think they are going to ask you "were you flying for fun or work"? and if you say "fun" you will get less of a sentence or penalty or fine? I don't think so. If you are a commercially rated pilot and you want to just do "practice" isn't that still inline with your commercial work? It's practice.

But saying that..... Please someone prove me wrong. I would love to be able to take my UAV out to just go have fun and not get it cleared for controlled airspace but just call the local airport. That would be great. So if anyone has FAA documentation, please post.

Not looking to argue with anyone, just posing questions to get other views and better yet, documentation.

JesterPhotog search the forum for the FAA's recent webinar. It was clearly covered in the webinar and is exactly as stated above.

Here's a link to the thread where you'll find the link and instructions
FAA: Myths vs Facts Webinar

EDIT: I added a link above to make searching easier

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers