question on losing GPS synch

Reaction score
I had just rebuilt my Phantom after a crash and tried to synch the GPS. It was able to see several sats but never went green. I also tried several times to calibrate the compass but it was having issues. I decided to fly anyway and it basically flew out of my view and was lost. I had the remote in ATTI and HL was not selected since the GPS would not fully synch. Question is when the HL mode is off and using AATI (not GPS) mode, what happens when you turn off the controller or it goes out of range? Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks

The HL mode will only work if you successfully set the home position, which can be happened in 2 ways:
1. Automatically, after the warm up around 30 seconds, the rapid GREEN indicates the home position recorded.
2. Manually, you have to flip the switch between CL/HL 4-5 time and back to OFF, again the rapid GREEN indicates the home position recorded. You can do this even if it's hovering.

No matter what positions of the switch, if you lost the signal between TX & RX, it will go to RTH mode and will do that successfully only the 6 or more satellites are found.

Better if you open your phantom and verify the GPS plate is not broken because the crash. Remove carefully GPS foam cover and check it and the wires from GPS to Compass in landing gear, must be tight fitted on connectors.

Broken-GPS.jpg

If you were having gps issues and didnt get full gps reception prior to take off. Most likely gos wasnt functioning properly and so no home location would have been saved. And if yiu dont have a good enough gps signal there is no way home lock or rth will work. Taking off without saving the home point and full gps reception means you are risking it quite a bit as rth and home lock wont work.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl