Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

[Question] How to pull out "height" "H/S" "V/S" data?

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by TerryH, Jun 15, 2015.

1. TerryH

Trying to add height, horizontal speed and vertical speed to my video... Anybody knows how pull out these data from DJI Pilot?

2. saylor

+1
    can the overlay/app window be captured in any way in sync or at the same time as the video feed?

3. vegas-k9

Sometimes it will record your data as a "subtitle" for your video. Scan the settings again because I can't remember but I definitely saw an overlay with GPS cords and hs vs and agl. And the only way to get rid of it was turning English subtitles off.

4. GadgetGuy

It's under Camera Settings under Video Caption. Turn it on. Creates a separate .SRT file for each video, which contains sync'd flight data and camera settings, which can be displayed over the video as an optional subtitle, depending upon your video player. It's basically latitude and longitude, as well as altitude in meters, and exposure information.
    image.jpg

taroh likes this.
  5. saylor

wow killer answers - thanks for the help on that.

6. GadgetGuy

You're welcome! Just giving back what others have helped me with previously!
    :rolleyes:

7. happydays

I tried to extract the data (iOS) via iTunes as a text file, then used one of the convertors (litchi) to export to .csv - but the data looked goofy. I'll post the log.

8. happydays

Here's the flight log - as you can see, a lot of the data doesn't change. ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1435748931.044243.jpg

Attached Files:

9. GadgetGuy

Is that from the internally recorded P3 blackbox .DAT file or the Mini SD card recorded Video Caption .SRT file?

10. happydays

From the app. In iTunes, select the device, then apps and at the bottom of the screen there is an option to select apps that share files. Open that up and then you can export the txt file out. Just that mine didn't give out great information.

11. GadgetGuy

I don't do iTunes. So that must be the .SRT file, if you have video caption turned on, except the .SRT fle only gets recorded to the micro SD card, along with the video. What is the file extension of the file you are seeing? Is it .txt? Have you instead looked at the .DAT log file on the P3P that corresponds to the flight? You need to use the Pilot app to put the P3 into "Enter Flight Data Mode", under Advanced Settings, and then hook up the DJI supplied USB cable to the P3 and your computer and copy them off. You'll need a program to read them, which can be found at www.MapsMadeEasy.com/log_viewer but it only plots some of the data and shows the map of the flight. Anyone have access to a .DAT file reader that will convert it to .csv?
    image.jpg

#11 GadgetGuy, Jul 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  12. 30secs

I use vlc.. Any idea how to display srt or what app to use on win8?

13. saylor

AFAIK it should open in notepad or wordpad. i havent messed with all this yet - yesterday i had to watch a soccer game :)

14. happydays

In VLC - go to Video - Subtitles Track - and click on each option until the subtitle appears on screen. It's quite big.