Question for the GPS/ATTI mode switch flippers out there

DBS

Reaction score
QUESTION:

While flying forward full tilt in GPS mode ... Can you switch to ATTI mode without stopping or letting off on the right stick?

EXPLANATION:

So I'm doing some of this long distance stuff right? And I want to shoot for the 6km mark where battery will be a factor... On the way out to the 6km mark I will be in GPS mode so i can slowly climb and move forward at a steady rate without thinking about it to much or having to watch my sticks... On the return I will be maintaining altitude for speed on the first third of the leg... then i will start to descend to save battery and get down closer to the ground for landing on a low battery alert... doing this actually slows the Phantom down as the motors slow down to let the altitude come down... at that point it would be to my advantage if I could just flip to ATTI... The Phantom would actually gain a fair amount of speed scrubbing altitude on its own due to the ATTI normal performance... I'm just curious if anyone has or is doing this and what are the consequences of flipping modes while hauling ***.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated before I go and try testing this on some short runs and learn the hard way.

Thankyou

Hey DBS I have flying atti for weeks now and love it, definitely a step up in speed and performance. I do switch to gps in full speed atti with the right stick all the way up with no problems and today I flipped from gps to atti full speed and you can see the heli actually dip in the front giving you more thrust, so long answer is yes give it a go.. :)

jasonb777 said:
Hey DBS I have flying atti for weeks now and love it, definitely a step up in speed and performance. I do switch to gps in full speed atti with the right stick all the way up with no problems and today I flipped from gps to atti full speed and you can see the heli actually dip in the front giving you more thrust, so long answer is yes give it a go.. :)

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou sir!!!

The swarm boys are getting together to fly in the morning and I have been sitting here worried about what's gonna happen if I try and do something like this and have bad results ... destroying the drone that gave me such an awesome long flight and ending my chances at a longer one...

GREAT to know somebody is already doing this somewhere... takes away that nervous feeling

Tomorrow maybe I'll take it out like a mile or so and do it on the way back to get an idea of descend rate so I can plan out the next stupidity I'm about to get myself into... :roll:

Yep DBS i use it also in flight, no issue's.
Indeed keep a eye on altitude.
If to low, lower speed and give full throttle up or it will not ascent if the speed is not lowered.

Check out this video where you see Omer switching to ATTI mode at full speed at 11:13 into the video. As stated earlier you will see the angle change of the Phantom.

http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopt ... kci-58284/

Be careful my friend and try to keep it below 400ft.

He goes from about 12 degrees forward pitch to about 24 degrees but doesn't lose any altitude.
Do you need to compensate with throttle or does the Phantom maintain altitude in atti mode?

He goes from ~10.5M/sec to ~16M.sec. I would have expected a bigger speed increased at double the forward pitch.
On reflection that's ~23mph to ~35mph so that's a fairly decent speed increase.

I switch between GPS/ATTI all the time in the air, but I usually let off the sticks as I do so. I am not going full forward in GPS and hit ATTI while doing so.

When you switch, you do not lose altitude, but obviously ATTI does not maintain altitude for you the way that GPS mode does.

Good news and good results this morning with the S1 switch flipping at full speed... works like a charm... I had wind issues this morning and haven't done the necessary tweaking to my antenna setup so I didn't do any real long range craziness... but what I did was this...

Fly out to about a mile... 750ft altitude... turn and start coming home in GPS mode and let it settle into its run at full forward tilt... showing 23mph on the display... (obviously fighting a head wind so good thing I didn't do anything stupid)... flipped the switch to ATTI at approx 4500ft distance from home and watched it accelerate to almost 40mph and start dumping altitude on its own... by the time I was at 1000ft distance from home I was at 90ft altitude ... just switched back to GPS mode while still in full forward tilt and watched the altitude level out and the speed slow down as it came closer...

Really nice function for me when I get ready to use this on a long run with the proper wind conditions... This will give me the speed I need and take care of my descent for me...

**** this function is practically "made to order" for what I needed to do here... couldn't be happier with the results...

Thank you for all the feedback and Happy flying out there guys!! :ugeek:

Be careful not to bump into Manual if yours is set up in NAZA mode... Yes GPS to ATTI is like a super booster.. Keep in mind on your turns close to obstacles lol.. Happy Flying!!

PB30X said:
Be careful not to bump into Manual if yours is set up in NAZA mode... Yes GPS to ATTI is like a super booster.. Keep in mind on your turns close to obstacles lol.. Happy Flying!!

set bottom switch position to failsafe to avoid that worry.

locoworks said:
PB30X said:

set bottom switch position to failsafe to avoid that worry.

Yeah... never did have mine set to manual... I leave it set at failsafe

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20