Question for iPad users..

Reaction score
Questions for iPad users. Do you turn off notifications and the like before flying so nothing interferes with the DJI app? I ask because I want to know if I can use the iPad mini I have for flying as my normal, daily-use iPad (or if I have have to have one for flying, another for normal stuff).

I just open the DJI app and connect to the controller....never had any problems.

(If you have the cellular version you might want to put in airplane mode so you don't have phone calls coming in...not sure about that)

I never turn anything off on either iPhone or iPad mini. I also sometimes tether my mini to my phone and use an external GPS too. I've gotten text messages on the phone when flying before. No problems at all.

Thank you. I purchased an iPad mini I could use with Ting phone service so that I would be able to see maps when I fly - at least I assume that's how it works. I've yet to try it. Will the DJI app use the cell service to show me a map when I fly?

I just open the DJI app and connect to the controller....never had any problems.

(If you have the cellular version you might want to put in airplane mode so you don't have phone calls coming in...not sure about that)

The maps don't always show up, when used at the flying site. Not sure why. But that might be something that needs an update in future firmware.
Make sure you turn on Cache Maps in the Go App.

RedHotPoker

I have an iPad Air (original not the air 2)

It's the wifi and cellular model.

I have never:
turned on airplane mode
turned off wifi (have had it connector to my wifi while near my home)
Turned off cellular (and have used it to load maps while not at home)
Turned off notifications
Closed all other apps
Restarted the iPad first
Sacrificed an albino hedgehog

Never had any problems and I have a lot of flights now.
I've also tried with hardware decoding on and off, it made no percivable difference and gave no problems wither way.

Disclaimer to say I do not live in a hot country so may not be as prone to heat related issues as some, that said its never been even warm to the touch after multiple back to back 15-20 minute flights.

Hope this helps.

The maps don't always show up, when used at the flying site. Not sure why. But that might be something that needs an update in future firmware.

RedHotPoker
Hey poker - I may need to start a new thread but how DO I Cashe maps on a location far from home? Thanks my friend!

Sent from my PT beating heart

RedHotPoker

I've had this issue as well - bit of a pain when you're out in the sticks and you cant get a mobile signal to tether to the device...

Yeah, you just fly with camera view, and look at the cached flight later.
Odd that the map shows up in the flight records, but not while actually flying? ;-)

Hey poker - I may need to start a new thread but how DO I Cashe maps on a location far from home? Thanks my friend!

Sent from my PT beating heart
With the App running at home or in any accessible wifi hotspot, & drone on, go into your camera view, and bring up the map after the Home Point had been recorded. Move the map around until you are at the flying location you want to cache. Now spread the map out as wide as it goes, like closeup as possible to the area. Move the map around on the screen, so that you capture the whole flying area and then some, as much as possible. When done turn everything off. Hopefully, when you get to the area, the map will be available, away from your internet or wifi connection. That's how it's supposed to work. Sometimes, it desn't stick. An update in firmware may need to correct this intermittent error.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: jryser

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav