Question: connecting at a distance

Reaction score
Here is the scenario:
You start up, set home point, take off won't your Phantom 4 per normal.

Fly her out, oh, 1000 feet. 100% within good solid signal, both RC and video. Strong signal, all is fine. And you land, 1000 feet away.

Then: turn off the remote controller.

-- couple minutes later turn controller back on.

What will happen? Did the bird just sit there. It didn't try to RTH because of signal loss did it? And... will the RC and bird connect at such a long range?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I would be assuming that if you had the signal strength to land it and shut it down, you would be able to turn the RC back on and take off again. I guess you could grab a mate and try it in case it turns to custard.

I ask because, let me give an example: my scuba diving wrist computer wirelessly connects to a pressure reader on my tank. When it's pairing initially it uses a much lower transmit power so not to interfere or pick up other devices that might not be need. Once paired it goes to full power. Wondered if our systems worked the same.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Fly her out, oh, 1000 feet. 100% within good solid signal, both RC and video. Strong signal, all is fine. And you land, 1000 feet away.
Then: turn off the remote controller.

-- couple minutes later turn controller back on.
What will happen? Did the bird just sit there. It didn't try to RTH because of signal loss did it?
I would be thinking that if you turn off your controller while the Phantom is still turned on, there is a distinct possibility that the Phantom will fire up and attempt to RTH on its own.
Easy enough to try it out and find out.
No need to go 1000ft for the experiment.
And... will the RC and bird connect at such a long range?
Of course.
I've had mid-air disconnects at greater distance and had to restart with no problem.

Never thought of that scenario, going to try at 60 mtrs tomorrow on the footy field. So much to learn.
I would be thinking that if you turn off your controller while the Phantom is still turned on, there is a distinct possibility that the Phantom will fire up and attempt to RTH on its own.
Easy enough to try it out and find out.
No need to go 1000ft for the experiment

Of course.
I've had mid-air disconnects at greater distance and had to restart with no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl