Question: anyway to shoot a pic with hero3+?

Reaction score
Just curious, it's only capable of video on the phantom and cannot snap a picture like the P2V+ correct?

sar104 said:
It can take still images if you put it into photo + video mode, but only at predefined intervals. You cannot manually trigger a photo.

photo+video mode?

I wasnt aware of that option. This isnt time lapse you are talking about, is it?

edit:
oh wow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yPgRb9e1_w

didnt know this. But you are limited to 30fps on 1080p
hows the quality of the snapshot while video is recording?

Lasvegascfp said:
So you can set it to take pics at certain intervals? Like every minute etc?

Whenever I fly my phantom/gopro3 I shoot HD video and have the camera also set to shoot photos every five seconds. If you do only photos, it will shoot as quickly as every .5 seconds.

Correct - not the same as timelapse. It's a capture setting - simultaneous video and photo - that takes a photo every 5, 10, 30 or 60 seconds. The photo resolution is somewhat constrained by the video resolution setting, and Protune is unavailable.

Lasvegascfp said:
So the photo quality isn't as good I take it?

Correct. GoPro is not a DSLR! It shoots crappy JPG's, no raw. As most of what I do is photography (not as much video) that's why I built a big hexacopter, so I could put a better still camera in the air.

What camera do you shoot with? That's crazy. I'm trying to picture my Nikon d7000 on a copter... I'd be to scared ha!

mediaguru said:
Lasvegascfp said:

Correct. GoPro is not a DSLR! It shoots crappy JPG's, no raw. As most of what I do is photography (not as much video) that's why I built a big hexacopter, so I could put a better still camera in the air.

I think the question was relative to GoPro photo mode, not relative to a DSLR.

sar104 said:
mediaguru said:
Lasvegascfp said:

Yes. The point of the statement is that the photo quality is not great on a GoPro, not close to comparing to a decent camera or DSLR.

mediaguru said:
sar104 said:

Yes. The point of the statement is that the photo quality is not great on a GoPro, not close to comparing to a decent camera or DSLR.

I'm pretty sure that everyone is already well aware of that.

sar104 said:
mediaguru said:
sar104 said:

I'm pretty sure that everyone is already well aware of that.

If not they'll figure it out soon enough...

What camera do you shoot with MGuru? You "built" a hex copter? Sounds like fun... How does one go about getting started doing that?

Lasvegascfp said:
What camera do you shoot with MGuru? You "built" a hex copter? Sounds like fun... How does one go about getting started doing that?

Never built anything like that before. Started in January with lots of reading and research. Eventually picked a frame and started buying parts and building on my free time. Had my maiden flight on July 4!

The goal (still in progress) is to get either my Nikon D7000 flying under the hex, or a nice smaller mirrorless camera which has interchangeable lenses and shoots raw.

For testing, I may throw my Canon S95 up in it. That little thing takes great photos given the size.

A little correction for the GoPro 3+ black. First off it does take very credible pictures/stills if set up right.
If you are after stills then the best resolution will be in time laps, not video plus stills. The manual is a little deceiving in saying it shoots 12mp at 1440.24. It does but the output Jpeg you see is very compressed. Time laps works fine in aerial work for stills. You see the video for camera aiming but every 5 sec, or whatever you use, it blacks out for a second or so to take a pic. The Jpeg file size for a given shot is usually 3 times the size of a shot from video plus stills mode. The file size for the work I do, waterfront homes, is approx 6.3mp, and for a still from a 1440/24 with 12mp stills its 2.3mp, clearly a lot of compression is going on.

Tom

tom3holer said:
A little correction for the GoPro 3+ black. First off it does take very credible pictures/stills if set up right.
If you are after stills then the best resolution will be in time laps, not video plus stills. The manual is a little deceiving in saying it shoots 12mp at 1440.24. It does but the output Jpeg you see is very compressed. Time laps works fine in aerial work for stills. You see the video for camera aiming but every 5 sec, or whatever you use, it blacks out for a second or so to take a pic. The Jpeg file size for a given shot is usually 3 times the size of a shot from video plus stills mode. The file size for the work I do, waterfront homes, is approx 6.3mp, and for a still from a 1440/24 with 12mp stills its 2.3mp, clearly a lot of compression is going on.

Tom

When you say set up right, you mean just the time lapse and not video plus stills? What other settings would make a difference?

If I'm not shooting 2.7k on my GoPro, I usually set it to 1080/30 +Stills
Hower, in that mode, the stills are 8mp and 16;9.
if you want to shoot 4:3 stills at the same time, (for taller images), you're limited to shooting 1440 video at 24fps.

(see page 34 in the manual)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31