Question about youtube upload quality

Reaction score
So I uploaded a video to youtube yesterday and the only viewing options on the youtube website are 360p, 1440p, and 2160p. The 2160p looks amazing on my computer but when I watch the video on my iPad I only get the option for 360p. I can usually view 4k video on my 4k tv through a youtube app but this particualr video only shows me an option of 360p also.

I don't understand why it doesn't give the 1080p/720p option or why I can't see the 2160p option on my iPad or any device for that matter.

I cannot offer any input to your solution.. However, I can tell you my uploads do the exact same thing... Im using a current model Mac with all the bells and whistles...

I hope someone can chime in with an easy fix..

I cannot offer any input to your solution.. However, I can tell you my uploads do the exact same thing... Im using a current model Mac with all the bells and whistles...

I hope someone can chime in with an easy fix..
I posted something to a YouTube forum and an "expert" told me it can take days for everything to convert. I just find this hard to believe.

What I found (saving movies for upload to youtube, via movie maker) is that once you watch the uploaded video clear through. then u can watch a second time and you can adjust quality after that (in you tube If your download speed is good)). or get a youtube downloader. My friends see my videos in 1080 or better, before I do. Mine show at 460P, no adjustment, first run.

Last edited:
My iPad Does the same but PC seems to give more options

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

My iPad Does the same but PC seems to give more options

Never explored that option, using KLite Codec and Windows movie maker in tandem to add audio to the quiet vids. But always open to suggestions. Thx.

YouTube can take hours to fully convert and process high quality videos. on iPhone in the youtube app when your watching a video theres a button the top right which allows you to select the video resolution you want to view. (iPhone / iPad = same app as its ios surely)

Here is a link to the video. Nothing special.

I still can only watch it in 360p on all my mobile devices.

Here is a link to the video. Nothing special.

I still can only watch it in 360p on all my mobile devices.
Video looks better than 360p. I can't tell for sure as I'm only watching it on the forums and not on YouTube itself

Yes, as mentioned in several posts above, the "processing" takes longer than you think and is not necessarily done even if youtube says it is. Also, it's possible your router is not putting out the bandwidth you're getting from your hard-wired desktop.

Still only have low resolution option for viewing. My computer is not hard wired to my router.

I'm watching your video on youtube with my desktop.

My youtube is set to auto which means it is supposed to select the best view available, and it's showing me "auto 360." That seems low. But when I click on the little arrow (>) to the right of "auto 360", it gives me options:

2160p (4K)
1440p (HD)
360p

When I manually select 1440p (HD), it reverts to that. The image becomes sharper and it's perfectly viewable. I don't know why it didn't auto to that instead of 360 for me. It's a nice sharp video with no lag.

When I manually select 2160p (4K), it reverts to that. The image is sharper still, but the video lags a bit.

So it seems in my case I can watch HD but not 4K. My internet speed is 50/50 (FiOS) and my desktop is connected directly - no wifi.

If your using the app it sorta stinks uninstall the app and go to YouTube directly and try .

I get poor resolution when watching the video from the embedded video above. However, it seems to display in 1080 when viewed from the YouTube app on my iPad.

Thanks. It finally provided the 1080/720p options. It took almost 3 days for all the resolution options to become available.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl