Question about where to start...

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Ive been flying for about a month now and love almost everything about my p4p. My computer is a fairly decent laptop but is by no means a great machine for editing video. Im curious what everyone uses to get videos edited and played back with music and a little fading in and out. Just wanna make my home movies pop :)

Sony Vegas for editing
Handbrake for quick decoding / resizing
Sometimes Xilisoft Video Converter for quick editing

I have MacBook Pro. It has enough space and computing power to edit 4K videos.

at home I have an older PC (Core i7, 16gb, nvidia GTX 1070) that's on schedule to be upgraded soon. For my mobility I have a SurfaceBook (Mobile Core i7, 16gb, w/ nvidia 940M) and an iPad Pro 9.7

The slowest of the 3 is technically the PC but I've overclocked the crap out of it so technically it's faster but architecturally its the oldest so it does need an upgrade. The SurfaceBook is my pc away from home and it has my adobe suite loaded on it. When I shoot videos if I do it in h265 (which has it's advantages) I'll have to edit it on the laptop and the larger res screen loves photo work. The iPad Pro I've done some photo editing using Lightroom mobile and Snapseed (both work nicely with RAW but Lightroom handles the pictures in an easier to read format but is laggy when editing. Snapseed responds quickly on editing but you struggle making sure to pick the correct photo to edit) Now if I'm doing H264 then I can use the iPad and iMovie to do a quick something and render at 4k.

I have a Core i5 notebook with 8GB RAM, nothing fancy (I'm planning to build a powerful desktop soon).

I do my 4K work with Premiere using proxies, it's a huge solution! You only need enough space to build proxies and time to ingest media. Once you have proxies ready, it's enough to start editing 4K like on a Xeon 64 cores hahaha

I have a Core i5 notebook with 8GB RAM, nothing fancy (I'm planning to build a powerful desktop soon).

I do my 4K work with Premiere using proxies, it's a huge solution! You only need enough space to build proxies and time to ingest media. Once you have proxies ready, it's enough to start editing 4K like on a Xeon 64 cores hahaha

That's overkill I'm sure. I think just getting one of the new Kaby Lake versions of the i7 will do for me. It can overclock up to 5ghz if needed although some part of me wants to look at one of the Intel 6 core but they're pretty **** expensive these days.

Actually, if your i7/16gb/1070 machine is a x58 chipset motherboard you might just want to hold out, since the newer stuff is not that much faster in regards to bus speeds and data transmission to SSD/memory. Those two are about 90% of a machines speed outside of the processor. And the processor can usually be updated to a modern-gen Xeon with 6 cores, thus 12 threads.

Intel broke the mold with the x58 chipsets and honestly a video card and CPU upgrade brings them right into current specs... Heck, if you need, you can add USB 3/3.1 cards and anything else via PCI-e.

I have 4 x58 machines at home here, one for myself and 3 for the older kids and with video card upgrades they don't need anything (running @ 4.0GHz, 16-24gb RAM, SSDs, GTX980s). My machine still has dual GTX480s with 3 1920x1200 monitors for 6070 x 1200 video, but I will be going with dual GTX980s based on price alone, along with a 42" 4K display above the triple screens for video editing. I already have dual 480GB SSD drives and 7TB of storage locally with 32GB of ram and will just be upgrading to a Xeon 6-core. I have a 32TB main server in the house so storage is not an issue. I have plans to upgrade the server to 48TB next year.

But, honestly, I really don't think newer motherboards/processors/memory offer that much to justify a $1500-3k upgrade if you have a X58 based system already. Intel knows this, that is why they killed support for it back in 2013. I mean Intel has always supported chipset platforms for 8-10 years+, yet they kill support for the x58 after 5 years??? They knew it was a long-term viable platform.

I doubt we will see such engineering on a consumer level again. Look at the nVidia GTX480s, same difference. Sure they generated a lot of heat, but two or even three of them performed great all the way until they obsoleted it with DirectX12. In the case of those nVidia even released drivers that purposely killed those cards to get them off the market.

I just built an AMD Ryzen 1700+ box. First upgrade in about 5 years, and it was well worth the $$$. 16 Gb DDR4, 1 Tb M.2 SSD, and a decent video card.Cost me about $900 and renders 5 times faster than my old PC.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen