Question about the "Gohome" mode

Reaction score
So I was flying FPV about 800m out yesterday and all the sudden lost the ability to control the drone. I still had clear video feed through my goggles and on the bottom left the iOSD displayed "gohome" (or something close to this, I can't remember exactly).. I'm assuming the short distance signal loss had to do with crossing over large power lines or something... Anyways, the drone slowly made its way back to me.

The whole way back, I was flipping my S1 / S2 switches, and could not get control back. I even power cycled my controller with no luck.

When I did shut down my controller or switch the S1 into "failsafe", the iOSD displayed below the "gohome" text "failsafe".. so I'm assuming that "failsafe" and "gohome" mode are 2 different things.

Finally, when the drone was directly above me and still about 100m up starting to descend, I switched S1 to atti mode and was able to regain control of the drone.

Does anyone know how to purposely break out of the "gohome" mode sooner than when the drone is directly above you?

I thought that I lost control of the drone because of loss of signal, and it would fly close enough back to me to regain signal and give me control back.. ?

Thanks for the replies in advance.

Failsafe and Go home mode, or RTH (return to home)are the same thing, its when the phantom loses connection to the transmitter, then the unit makes it way back to the home point

usually you can cancel RTH mode by flicking the S1 switch to middle position wait one second and then back up to the top position, in your case its possible that the quad still couldnt see the transmitter and continued back to the home point. it could be that your batteries are low maybe.

Quick question... do you fly with your control TX antenna vertical or to the horizontal ?

It should be vertical to match the vertical antenna layout on the quad to increase range.

crash1sttime said:
the quad still couldnt see the transmitter and continued back to the home point.

yea it has to be something related to this. I push my Phantom to control range limits all the time, let's say I'm at 800m and it kicks into GoHome, as soon as it rotates back towards me and starts moving it's usually no more than 5 seconds like as soon as it's covered 10-20m or so I can toggle the switch and resume control.
The fact that toggling your switch did nothing likely means that for some reason it still wasn't seeing the RC. low batteries should be beeping the RC, antenna orientation is a likely culprit, either on the RC or maybe the FPV antenna on the phantom

Thanks for the reply's!

Next time this happens I will make sure to toggle S1 to atti and let it sit for a second.. Most likely I did not do this appropriately.

TeamYankee said:
Quick question... do you fly with your control TX antenna vertical or to the horizontal ?
It should be vertical to match the vertical antenna layout on the quad to increase range.
Different angles for different points of flight.
Ideally the flat side of the Tx antenna is parallel to, and pointing at the antenna wires in the legs of your Phantom but this is not always achievable.

Meta4 said:
TeamYankee said:
Different angles for different points of flight.
Ideally the flat side of the Tx antenna is parallel to, and pointing at the antenna wires in the legs of your Phantom but this is not always achievable.

I hope I never have to tilt my TX antenna horizontal to match the the quad orientation... lol

You'll find that horizontal just might be the best you can do sometimes.
The main point is that the tip of your antenna should not be pointing at the Phantom.

Vertical is optimum for all orientations except over head as noted regarding the propagation nulls on the ends or top/bottom tips of the Tx antenna.

If you want to be more precise then a slight tilt towards you will work.

For a fun and purely academic exercise:
If you think of the relationship between you and the phantom in flight, visualize a right triangle.

Side 'a' is the altitude, and side 'b' is the distance from you ('c' is the hypotenuse of course).

The resultant angle of a-c is the tilt that would produce a direct line to the quad.

If you try a few examples you'll see the angles are small and thus not really critical.

Re: Question about the "Gohome" mode

myancon said:
So I was flying FPV about 800m out yesterday and all the sudden lost the ability to control the drone. I still had clear video feed through my goggles and on the bottom left the iOSD displayed "gohome" (or something close to this, I can't remember exactly).. I'm assuming the short distance signal loss had to do with crossing over large power lines or something... Anyways, the drone slowly made its way back to me.

The whole way back, I was flipping my S1 / S2 switches, and could not get control back. I even power cycled my controller with no luck.

When I did shut down my controller or switch the S1 into "failsafe", the iOSD displayed below the "gohome" text "failsafe".. so I'm assuming that "failsafe" and "gohome" mode are 2 different things.

Finally, when the drone was directly above me and still about 100m up starting to descend, I switched S1 to atti mode and was able to regain control of the drone.

Does anyone know how to purposely break out of the "gohome" mode sooner than when the drone is directly above you?

I thought that I lost control of the drone because of loss of signal, and it would fly close enough back to me to regain signal and give me control back.. ?

Thanks for the replies in advance.

How much battery percentage did u have? There is an option in the assistant whereby if u hit a certain percentage of battery it will go home and land. U Cna deactivate this

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie