Question about rechargeable AA batteries.

Reaction score
I have a bunch of rechargeable AA batteries of different brands and capacities, would it hurt the batteries or the device to mix them? I have 700mAh, 1300 mAh, 2300 mAh and 2450 mAh. Duracell, Rayovac, Energizer, Dantona and some generic ones.

What are you using them for?
Low current applications like R/C controllers will not put much strain on them, but be careful if you mix types in high current, like big servos, digital cameras etc.

I use them mainly in my flash(Canon 430ex), Xbox controller and my controller for my phantom

I dont like using rechargeable for some things including the Phantom TX because they are about .2 to .25 volts less per cell.

So with 4 batteries in series it would normally be 6 volts. With a rechargeable set you could be starting off with a full charge at 5 volts.

rrmccabe said:
I dont like using rechargeable for some things including the Phantom TX because they are about .2 to .25 volts less per cell.

So with 4 batteries in series it would normally be 6 volts. With a rechargeable set you could be starting off with a full charge at 5 volts.
Mandrake said:
Best to use all the same mah .
Thanks, I'll remember that.

While I don't argue about the lower voltage of rechargeables, they often make up for it with capacities of 2000 mAh+.
Newer technologies also reduce self-discharge making them appealing to occasional flyers.

The Tx is regulated down to somewhere in the ~3.0 - 3.3vdc range. This combined with the built-in low voltage warning/alarms means they'll be no reduction in performance (i.e. RF power or range) by using them.

Mixing capacities however means you're only as 'good' as you're lowest cell's rating (weakest link analogy). Despite the, fail-safe, RTH feature, don't skimp by using mismatched batteries in your expensive toy.

I kind of figured that, I have 20-25 of them. I get them from work. The flashlights we order for our helicopters come with them and every flashlight has different batteries in them. I have no idea why. We don't even have a charger for them at work. lol.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4