Question about props and weather

Reaction score
Hey there.
You guys are gonna be seeing a lot of me in the next little while, as my drone (the Phantom 3 Advanced) is being shipped to the store as we speak (or possibly to their warehouse, and then the store). So I could have it as early as wednesday, or as late as next monday. So until I take the first flight, I'm gonna have a few questions. I'm trying to think of them all so I can post them in 1 thread. But here are 2 questions….

1 - How are the carbon fibre props? What advantage/disadvantage are they?
2 - I've looked at DJI's website and it says the Adv operating temp is 0C to 40C (for the remote, and aircraft), and the battery is -10C to 40C. What is the coldest people have flown it? (Please put whether it is C or F). What is the coldest you absolutely would not take it out to fly? Would you take it -10C? -15C?

Carbon fiber props look cool, fly about the same, are more fragile than the plastic one. They don't change anything substantial. The only thing that people really agree on is to stay away from third party props. Even if they do offer a bit more of this or that, the feeling is that the system is tuned reasonably well and the DJI engineers know the system better than anyone else.

You also want to be careful about getting more 'performance' - these things are built for cost and weight. They're fairly fragile.

Cold goes all over the map. The big problem is battery performance (read about it).

2 - I've looked at DJI's website and it says the Adv operating temp is 0C to 40C (for the remote, and aircraft), and the battery is -10C to 40C. What is the coldest people have flown it? (Please put whether it is C or F). What is the coldest you absolutely would not take it out to fly? Would you take it -10C? -15C?
I have flown in 2F. That's about -16.67C

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think my carbon blades are slightly louder. They're are also much stiffer then white OEM, does this effect lift or agility......not sure.

Carbon fiber props are good but as mentioned above should have no substantial effect on flight. Personally, stick with the plastic ones. According to some sources they give better flight times. More importantly make sure your props are balanced, although I have heard that the DJI props are pretty darn balanced to begin with, but fine tuning won't hurt but isn't exactly necessary either. Just don't run aftermarket.

As for cold weather, sometimes if your battery is too cold it won't provide the necessary power so it won't allow you to fly, and thus there are battery warmers for this purpose.

-41 cold i flight in Canada alberta one bateri FOR 14 min ,No problem

the carbon props are stiffer and stronger than the plastic props... both type of props balance well and stay balanced as long as no damage is done to either prop... one advantage of the carbon prop is they tend to " Prop Track " better and hold the tracking as the blades don't sag like a plastic one can..

1. Use DJI props, black or white does not matter.

2. Operate in temperatures as suggested by DJI 0 C to 40 C for best results. You can stretch beyond on your risk.

I was going to order carbon fiber props. Then i decided just to dye my white props after seeing it on here. Now they are purple, matching the skin.

As far as flying in the cold Im in AZ and only have tried it at 32F. I didnt have an issue, but I made sure i kept the idle for a while before take off.

The concern with any aftermarket props is the build quality around the composite hub. There has been cases where the aftermarket prop just popped off leaving the composite hub attached to the motor. Another issue with aftermarket is that some manufacturers just label 'compatible with P2/P3' when they don't even realise that the metallic hubs found in the P2 range is not compatible with the active braking ESC/motors.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31