Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Question about Prop Guards

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Molokai, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Molokai

The question is simple. WHY do prop guards affect flight times? Being that they are so thin, I don't understand why they affect flight characteristics as much as they do. Thanks all.

2. voodoo

It's because they add weight and limit the amount of airflow the props can produce, limiting your lift. Therefore, the motors have to work harder for two reasons in order to add some safety and protect from damaging props.

Prop guards are not just for amateur users. Many people tip over their quads when landing and launching, such as myself when first learning. Prop guards not only boost safety, but they add a layer protection when during flight and other situations. Most people highly recommend getting prop guards, and only when comfortable, advancing to flying without them.

Happy flying

3. Molokai

Thanks for the input!! I'm considering taking mines off again (originally ran without em but decided to go the safe way) to increase my flight times.

4. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

There are exceptions but most forum members here have a negative opinion on prop guards.
    The general consensus is that the problems they contribute to are not worth the positives.
    Any issues with tipping on landing are easily fixed by cutting the motors by putting the left stick full down rather than trying a CSC stick combination which may induce the movement that causes the tip over.

5. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Prop guards, although thin, interfere with the aerodynamics of the Phantom.
    They add a lot of drag making it harder for your Phantom to slide through the air.
    Your Phantom's max speed is cut significantly and it works harder to get anywhere.
    Simple test - check your speed (without wind) with and without guards.
    The difference is how much extra load the guards put in your bird.

ps The main negative is their contribution to VRS. Lots of threads about that.

6. IflyinWY

The question is simple, the answer is not. Weight and aerodynamic drag, whether drag as a result of movement through the air mass or drag resulting from the prop-wash. All are negative factors the motors have to overcome.

And now to my soapbox :p
    Look at the design of most rotor-craft and you may see they are designed in such a way as to minimize the down-force of the prop-wash, as well as the drag resulting from forward movement through the air mass.

My prop guards are not an airfoil. The design of the stock DJI Phantom prop guard is very crude. There appears (to me) to have been no attempt whatsoever by the designers to create an airfoil either.
    Perhaps (key word perhaps) the theys who designed the prop guards were attempting to ensure prop guards would not become an airfoil. I can't think of a shape which would work to the phantom's advantage in the infinite flight attitudes "my" phantom achieves. The best I can come up with, in my mini-mind, is a cylindrical shape.

This is my soapbox and I have the talking stick. :D

I love my prop guards. I'm holding one right now. :D :D If you ran your machine into as much stuff as I have mine, you'd be in love with yours too. See my "IMPACT" page. It's new and there's just one link at the moment.

My prop guards have had a significant affect on my flight times. I get to fly and fly and crash and fly and fly and bump into stuff and fly and fly. Without them I would spend more time doing repairs than flying. I don't ever need a band-aid because of an aggressive prop. :mrgreen:

7. Molokai

Thanks for all the input everyone! I have decided to remove my prop guards (and possibly purchase the Firebolt Quick Release). Anyone have any suggestions to prevent tip overs when landing?

8. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Any issues with tipping on landing are easily fixed by cutting the motors by putting the left stick full down rather than trying a CSC stick combination which may induce the movement that causes the tip over.
    Or hand catching makes for a perfect landing every time.

9. drifter

Landing skids see: http://www.acesdeals.biz/apps/webstore/ ... ow/5324615

10. Molokai

Actually, I've figured out a good way to stop my tipping! I'll post a pic tomorrow.

11. tonylumps

I think they should change the name to Motor guards. They do a good job of protecting them.Especially at high speed impact.

12. cruz_ctrl

Hand-catch it...

13. Molokai

Here it is!! Got some of those $10 carbon fiber legs and just mounted them differently.

[​IMG]

14. Molokai

I do sometimes, but there are other times when I prefer to just land it.