Question about my new to me Vision+

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I purchased a brand new p3 standard, got it home and the wifi module was defective, so I returned it and after reading that was a somewhat common problem and also a problem with range I decided on a Phantom 2 Vision+, so I ordered a used one from B&H. It was rated 8+, when I got it there was only one small nick on the side, looks like maybe a tip over or hard landing. The 2nd set of props hadn't even been opened and the battery only had 5 cycles on it.

I charged everything up, hooked it to the pc and verified firmware was up to date, and when I checked it stated imu didn't need to be calibrated so I didn't do that. So, I took it out to fly and calibrated the compass.

However, on the vision app, it is not showing the correct altitude. Sitting on the ground it is showing like -197ft...it doesn't fluctuate much maybe -197 to -197.5, very small increments. When I have it in the air it will hold position and altitude no problem, but the inaccurate height has me worried about the RTH should I ever have to use it.

Should I go ahead and do an advanced imu calibration? I live in a valley in Tennessee, so maybe there is a huge difference from my residence to where it was originally calibrated?

Also, mine is the v2 vision+, if I purchased a controller for the v3 with the gimbal dial, will that pair up with my quad and have a functioning gimbal dial?

Yes!
Do it when its new and if you have a small bump.
Make sure you do it when the phantom is cold and hasn't been flown for an hour or so. Morning is best. Also do it the moment you turn on the phantom. Don't let it idle next to your pc as this will warm up the internals. It should take less than a minute and the MC temp warning should NOT appear. And finally, find a surface that is levelled with the horizon.

The COLD IMU will fix the barometric sensor.
The levelled surface will minimise the yaw drift.

level
level
level
be **** about it - it will pay off
take 10 to 15 minutes to make sure it is level across all the motors
shim the landing gear with business cards. check and re-check
there are posts on this board going through this. it really helps
then like Mako said, keep it cool, turn it on and go fast.It all helps
I've even put my quad in the fridge for a half hour but some folks on this board freak out when they read that and talk about condensation. just keep it off and cool until it's time.
and yes I think the gimbal control should work.

You will have to bind the new controller and you may have to re-calibrate it too. The calibration will get the wheel functioning properly. All is well!!

I agree with stag.... IMU calibration perfectally level will give you nice stable hovering without drifting when you have a good satellite lock. Makes her rock solid.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1