Question about motor temps. Is this normal?

Reaction score
First flights with my gimbal and FPV stuff today. Now weighing in at 1432G. Getting 12.5 minutes landing at 25%.
For some reason I decided to feel the motors today. The rear two were warmer than the front ones, noticeably, but they weren't 'hot'. Do they work harder than the front one for forward travel?

In theory, the motors would share the same load on a quad. My motors are always warm after a flight. As long as they perform and are not burning, you should be set.

Probably to much weight at the back? You'll notice after liftoff that the bird flies to the rear an meter or so. I also have this because the 5200mah lipo is under the back of the quad when flying in FPV mode. When I attach the gimbal and camera again the liftoff is straight up. Never checked the heat of the motors but I have never noticed heat when I pick it up by the arms.

I always check my motor temps by hand after flying as heat can be a good early indicator of problems. It is not unusual for one or two motors to be slightly warmer than the others and depends on how you fly. The drone maintains position in GPS, or turns, yaws, etc., by speeding up some motors and slowing others down. If you practice flying upwind for a while, maintaining the same orientation then bring the drone back to you, you'll see that the front two motors are warmer. Since I practice this way, doing the same maneuvers through a battery cycle, I often find one or more motors warmer.

Also, when you stop flying the motors will heat up temporarily since they've lost the cooling effect of the props and flight through the air. So, in my experience, it's not unusual to find a small temp difference but nothing to be alarmed about. If the same motor is considerably warmer every time after you fly, that may be an early indicator and since motors are cheap, I would swap it out and continue to monitor. Nothing sucks more than having a motor flame out during a flight....

BLDC motors are very reliable because the only moving/wearing parts are the bearings. They don't just flame out.

Aside from foreign material, using the wrong prop-gard screws, and physical damage from a crash or collision, the main cause of BLDC failure is a malfunctioning ESC.

I appreciate the feedback guys. I have never checked them before so I don't have anything to compare to. It was performing normally and these were very casual flights just getting used to the FPV (which is extremely cool BTW). I'll just check them in the future to make sure they are consistent. I have an IR thermometer I might take with me next time just for ships and giggles.

Thanks again!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic