Question about Maximizing Remote Controller Signal (P3 Advanced)

Reaction score
Hi all,

Have a question relating to flying on/near beaches with cliffs with a P3 Advacned, using the controller that comes with the drone.

In general, in which scenario would you likely get better remote controller signal;

Scenario 1) Drone operator is standing at the top of 100ft cliff that overlooks the beach, drone is being flown over the ocean. In this scenario, the drone is anywhere from 300-500 feet (in a horizontal plane) away from the drone operator, and is anywhere from 20-100ft above the ocean surface.

Scenario 2) Drone operator is standing on the beach, at the base of the 100ft cliff. Drone is being flown over the ocean. In this scenario, the drone is anywhere from 300-500 feet (in a horizontal plane) away from the drone operator, and is anywhere from 20-100ft above the ocean surface.

Please see attachment for reference!

Thanks,
Falconer

Attachments

• Signal Question.PNG
    Signal Question.PNG
    412.7 KB · Views: 570
In general, in which scenario would you likely get better remote controller signal
Both should give you a perfectly good signal as long as you have your antennas orientated correctly.
You should be able to still have a good signal 2 or 3 kilometres away from both spots.

Thanks for the responses guys. Just tested our scenario #1 (from the top of the cliff), and I was only able to get the drone to 480 Meters horizontal distance away from me before getting the "Youve reached Max Range" warning. I had the antennae angled in the suggested "v" orientation, facing forward at about a 45 degree angle (45 degree angle relative to the ground), so am wondering if I need to orient them more directly towards the drone (i.e. between a 0-20 degree angle). Or, am wondering if I've got some range limiting settings that the remote controller is defaulting to , preventing me from flying the drone too far away.

Well thanks to the great resources on this forum, I found a video regarding remote controller antennae best practices (
).

While flying today, and maxing out at 480 meters of range, I was did not have the antennae oriented properly. In the future, will be adjusting positioning to be more perpendicular to the bird!

There is also a setting in the DJI Go app to "enable max distance" and when connected and enabled, you can set a max distance to fly. You want this "off" so you can fly until signal is lost... :)

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
I would go by all means on scenario#1, since being at the top of a 30 m cliff, it's like you would have the RC antennaes placed on a 30 m high tower, means much greater range. Don't orient at all RC's antennaes in a V shape, because you would greatly reduce their effectiveness. Keep them parallel to each other and perpendicularly to the direction where the bird is.
Switch off the 500 m flying distance limiter.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20