Question about lubricating the motor bearings

Reaction score
Where is the proper place to lubricate the bearings? On the underside of the motor?
I'm assuming all I have to do is unscrew the 4 screws holding each motor on and inject some brushless motor oil onto the central shaft correct? Thanks for any help.

allenj said:
Where is the proper place to lubricate the bearings? On the underside of the motor?
I'm assuming all I have to do is unscrew the 4 screws holding each motor on and inject some brushless motor oil onto the central shaft correct? Thanks for any help.

pretty much, . just one drop on the top and on on the bottom bearing.

I drilled a hole in the center of all my motor screws so that I could access the lower bearing without unscrewing the motor

Gizmo3000 said:
I drilled a hole in the center of all my motor screws so that I could access the lower bearing without unscrewing the motor

That would be a lot of holes..... think you mean to say you drilled a hole in each arm, centered between the motor screws. :mrgreen:

yeap i drilled those holes too. works great, one drop top and bottom each motor once a week, keeps bearings in good shape.

Thanks for the replies. I could not find any brushless motor lube so I used some light 3 in 1 oil from a syringe. Should be ok.

I have never oiled the motors on any of my quads. I'm thinking if it was essential or even advised, it would be mentioned as a maintenance issue in the DJI documentation somewhere, but it isn't.

Reactions: smackc4
BruceTS said:
No matter what motors your running, you want to insure the bearing stay lubricated. Very common problem for them to fail, mostly due to, not doing preventative maintenance. Here's a needle oiler with DJI label for sale on eBay for this purpose

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251291190757

I'd probably get this one if shipping don't kill ya.

http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/produc ... cts_id=372

Bruce, I'm satisfied with the bearings running in whatever grease they are packed in, and if a bearing starts to go out it's easy to replace them. I have a set of bearings sitting here for a few months, waiting to get pressed into service when needed, but so far haven't experienced any signs of impending failure.
That's interesting that they are selling an oiler on ebay with a DJI logo silkscreened on the container, yet DJI says nothing about it. And that's the first time I've ever seen that anywhere! You would think that DJI dealers would be routinely selling it as well but don't appear to be. Of course, having the DJI logo on something doesn't mean much, as you can see by this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181165796189

I suppose it's okay to oil those bearings, but what I have read in the past is that by oiling you are essentially washing away the pre-packed grease, so from then on, you better be prepared to "oil and oil often" for those bearings.

There are too schools of thought on this. If you lubricate the bearings, it can actually cause more wear. When you lubricate bearings you also meant to take them out, clean everything lub and reinstall. Just lubing them will attract dust and dirt creating the bearing to wear out faster, then using no lub.

It is better to just replace any faulty bearings and much less work, so I prefer to use my Phantom and when the bearings wear then just replace them.

I have had maybe 40-50 flights and my original bearing are still ok, and check them with each flight. You usually get some warning before they go and you can tell, spin them by hand will tell if they are too warn or not.

Sac D said:
That's interesting that they are selling an oiler on ebay with a DJI logo silkscreened on the container, yet DJI says nothing about it. And that's the first time I've ever seen that anywhere! You would think that DJI dealers would be routinely selling it as well but don't appear to be. Of course, having the DJI logo on something doesn't mean much, as you can see by this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181165796189

I suppose it's okay to oil those bearings, but what I have read in the past is that by oiling you are essentially washing away the pre-packed grease, so from then on, you better be prepared to "oil and oil often" for those bearings.

Yea when I saw that logo on them I about died laughing, but it could be a product they normally sell in China as well.

Your only washing away prepacked grease if the bearing doesn't need servicing, once they start running dry, I'd rather have the option to put a drop of oil in them.

Your on a trip and start flying, check motor and one seems to be running warmer than the rest, do you keep flying and risk a failure or quickly add a drop of oil so you can continue. Doubt your going to want to do a bearing replacement in the field.

denodan said:
I have had maybe 40-50 flights and my original bearing are still ok, and check them with each flight. You usually get some warning before they go and you can tell, spin them by hand will tell if they are too warn or not.

Had a bearing going bad after less than 20 flights....

Everyone is different, set up flying style all these things come in to play when determining how much maintenance will have to be done. All things that have bearings in them require some tender love and care. Neglecting them will only cause you grief in the end usually equaling much more then a bottle of High speed oil or a new bearing set. Drilling a hole in the bottom seems to be popular I would say make sure to get a rubber cap or maybe a piece of tape over it to keep dust out when landing and taking off.

Bearings
http://www.bocabearings.com/search.aspx ... R&Feature=

oil
http://www.bocabearings.com/bearing-inv ... tning-Lube

Over 200 flights and never lubed a motor. I use a spot thermometer to see if there are any hot spots on the motors and all are within a few degrees of each other. Carrying a full gimbal, gopro, landing skid foam pads and 2800 mah batts. I think oiling the motors would be mentioned by DJI if it was needed, I don't think it is.

Good info.
While some report 200 flights without any lubrication, that doesn't mean ALL Phantoms will reach that milestone without it. His may have simply been packed "better" at the factory while another received little or no bearing lube.

BTW, has anyone even confirmed for sure that there IS any lubrication? Many bearings are impregnated with carbon or silica or some other form of ferrous lubrication and do not need additional lubrication.

I've developed an irritating "resonance" (aka vibration) in my less than 45 flights Phantom.
Motor bearings are one of my suspects.

No way I'm voiding my warranty by lubing anything that is not specifically mentioned by DJI.

Nearly a 2 y/o thread!
The bearings are sealed BTW.

Nearly a 2 y/o thread!
The bearings are sealed BTW.

Yep, two years old and it's STILL a valuable and contemporary thread.
I just got a lot of useful info from it.

If the bearings are sealed, lubricating probably doesn't do squat.

Yep, two years old and it's STILL a valuable and contemporary thread.
I just got a lot of useful info from it.

If the bearings are sealed, lubricating probably doesn't do squat.

Yes lubricating wears down your bearings faster as it attracts dust and dirt and will only help wear them out quicker, and has been said are sealed bearings and a waste of time lubricating them.

Want to damage your bearings go ahead and lubricant them.

Yes lubricating wears down your bearings faster as it attracts dust and dirt and will only help wear them out quicker, and has been said are sealed bearings and a waste of time lubricating them.

Want to damage your bearings go ahead and lubricant them.

How can they be lubricated....if they are sealed? They can't in that case

You could squash a little grease or oil at the tip of the shaft stem I guess.
Not sure that would help anything. Getting the top of the motor oily could be a problem because like you say, dirt would tend to congregate inside the top area of the motor inside where it's open.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj