Question about Litchi

Reaction score
Hey guys just wondering since android guys can't get AutoPilot... I was wondering does Litchi have a smart gimbal option? Where you can personally fly the drone but the camera will stay pinned on a certain object, best of its ability.(I don't want the app to fly the drone, I want it to keep the camera on an object).

It will. You can set a Point of Interest and the camera will stay focused on that point. Another application that can do this is Vertical Studio. It does visual tracking. You could set it to track even something that is not moving.

So I run it in flight mode "Focus" on litchi? That should keep the camera focused on a POI while I fly?(and if I want it to keep on a moving object I can either run the leash... or will the "track" mode allow me to fly it while it tracks the item? Or is it really for autonomous flying?

EDIT: let me explain what I want... It will help describe what I want.

I film RC Sailboats for some older guys in town and I own a standard. I like to fly inches off the water but its difficult to control the camera too/rotating the aircraft while precise flying. So I was wondering if there is a part of Litchi or any ANDROID app that will keep the camera/gimbal/rotation of aircraft on the POI (WHICH IS MOVING) while I worry about flying

EDIT: let me explain what I want... It will help describe what I want.

I film RC Sailboats for some older guys in town and I own a standard. I like to fly inches off the water but its difficult to control the camera too/rotating the aircraft while precise flying. So I was wondering if there is a part of Litchi or any ANDROID app that will keep the camera/gimbal/rotation of aircraft on the POI (WHICH IS MOVING) while I worry about flying
In my experience Litchi is not great at tracking moving objects. Even when it does lock onto the object, which it can easily lose track of, it's a little clunky. If the POI is moving off camera it will hit a certain limit before the auto Yaw kicks in the recenter and so doesn't keep a consistently centered POI.

As mentioned above, Vertical Studio might be a better alternative although I don't have experience with it and so can't comment.

Yeah, there's a little bit of lag when using Litchi to do this. It works, but it's not perfect. The biggest detriment is that it's using your mobile device to do the video/image processing which can be a somewhat heavy operation. The faster your mobile device, the less lag. I would love it if litchi worked on PCs. Having a full blown MS Surface as a monitor would be sweet.

Reactions: Squirrel!
In my experience Litchi is not great at tracking moving objects. Even when it does lock onto the object, which it can easily lose track of, it's a little clunky. If the POI is moving off camera it will hit a certain limit before the auto Yaw kicks in the recenter and so doesn't keep a consistently centered POI.

As mentioned above, Vertical Studio might be a better alternative although I don't have experience with it and so can't comment.
Thanks brother, appreciate the input! I will give Vertical a shot!

Yeah, there's a little bit of lag when using Litchi to do this. It works, but it's not perfect. The biggest detriment is that it's using your mobile device to do the video/image processing which can be a somewhat heavy operation. The faster your mobile device, the less lag. I would love it if litchi worked on PCs. Having a full blown MS Surface as a monitor would be sweet.
Hey bud, I have 5.1.1 on my HP Ultrabook which allows me to run android apps on windows. I made a post on here showing my ultrabook running DJI GO and in my tablet mount! I think I might give it a try using tracking mode (i7,8gbddr4,256ssd) should be enough processing power hehe

None of these apps can be used on a windows computer. I'd like to use my surface as well, but it is way too heavy and the screen in the sun...fuget about it.

Uh... I use DJI GO and Litchi on my windows computer.... as stated above! I get pretty decent brightness in the sun too!

So...you have android 5.1.1 on an ultrabook and NOT a MS Surface?

OK...That's what I thought...You don't have it on, or are using to fly, a MS Surface.

Two quick questions for Litchi pilots...I'm thinking of buying it on android for my 8"galaxy tab s2 to use with my p3s

1) what are the in app purchases?

2) if flying in manual mode (p-mode not waypoints) - if I toggle the switch to initiate RTH...will it work as it does in the Go App?

Sorry if they seem stupid questions, but was wondering before spending £20 on another app

Many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

1) what are the in app purchases?

2) if flying in manual mode (p-mode not waypoints) - if I toggle the switch to initiate RTH...will it work as it does in the Go App?
1) When I picked up Litchi a few months ago focus mode was an in app purchase but I believe everything is included in the one price now.
2) Yes.

Brilliant thanks....is it that much better than the Go app then?? The way points will be useful, but a bit scarey!! Panorama would be good, but thing like does it allow for better signal etc? Flying a p3s and getting 300m range before losing video feed. Still got control of the bird. I've read somewhere that I may get more video range with litchi??

Only scary the 1st time. :confused: After that... :cool:

I haven't noticed any difference in range capabilities. For distance, DJI Ultimate Flight has been the one I got over 8,000' with. :D But to be fair, I also just a couple of days ago, I got over 6,000' using the GO app. o_O

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Thanks for that Squirrel!

Are you a uk pilot or elsewhere. It seems generally (due to CE) that us uk peeps are getting a bit of a raw deal with range, however, I haven't really been out in a huge open space yet...only in parks around home and am getting 300m before losing video feed.
I'm debating Litchi, but at £20 +in app purchases, I'm wondering if it's really that much better than DJI Go? Waypoints and pano sound really good, but I like to fly the bird manually. Can't seem to find any convincing arguments other than those I've already mentioned, to warrant the £20. Is it more reliable? Better signal? Easier to use? [emoji848]

I'll run it on my Galaxy Tab S2 which should be plenty powerful enough, just really can't decide lol!!!

The ease of the waypoints is (to me) worth the price of admission.

I am in the good ol' US of A and sympathize with your 'ce' restrictions. But don't feel bad, the only thrill in going the distance is IF you get it back. That thrill wears old quickly in my opinion. I like actually seeing the drone fly. I can't see it at 1000' out and 300' up. I want to be able to deal with an issue that might arise, rather than wonder what the hell happened because it was out of sight. Just read a few of the posts here and you'll understand what I mean.

So don't fret too much about distance. I only go out once in awhile just to check out what I read on these forums is valid or not. Kinda like a self proclaimed guinea pig. o_O

Look at the bottom of my sig line. I have all the apps. DJI Ultimate Flight is my favorite out of them all. Surprised it doesn't get more love here. :confused:

Reactions: Andy Roberts
At last, someone who thinks the same as me!! Having huge range is brilliant, but what do you do if you get into trouble??? If it's 1000' + away, a) fpv only...sorry not 20/20 vision, so only relying on that 94deg viewing angle! b) going to take me a while to get to it if it comes down! 800' is enough for what most hobby flyers need. That's still 1600' diameter, which should be enough for most things!!!

Still undecided on litchi...tracking looks cool and the pano. I'm a bit scared of the waypoints thing. Lots of hard earned £££ in the air and not under my control!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic