Question about getting a new tablet.

Reaction score
I have been using my Samsung Note 4 the device for my Phantom 3 Advanced. I would like to get a tablet to use. What makes me be able to use my Note 4 for GPS? If I get a tablet that does not have data capability will I still be able to use the tablet to fly the Phantom? Or do I need to get a tablet and activate the data and pay the monthly fee for said data? Thanks :)

GPS and an Internet connection are not required in order to fly your Phantom. However:

- If your tablet is GPS enabled, you will be able to reset your home point to your tablet's current location. There are no other features right now that utilize the tablet's GPS. But, DJI could add other features in the future or a 3rd party application might. It's not really a deal-breaker though for most people.

- You'll need an Internet connection in order to cache the map images for the area where you'll be flying. You can do that by opening the Google Maps app and moving around on the map in the location where you'll be flying. Make sure you zoom in on the map at the level you'd like to see in the DJI Pilot app. After you do this, the map images will be cached and you can disconnect from the Internet and go fly.

- You'll need an Internet connection in order to stream real-time video to YouTube.

Reactions: richardseguro
I have been using my Samsung Note 4 the device for my Phantom 3 Advanced. I would like to get a tablet to use. What makes me be able to use my Note 4 for GPS? If I get a tablet that does not have data capability will I still be able to use the tablet to fly the Phantom? Or do I need to get a tablet and activate the data and pay the monthly fee for said data? Thanks :)

I originally bought a Nexus 9 for my P3P and I was having nothing but trouble with it using the Pilot app. I returned the Nexus 9 and got an iPad Air 2 and as much as I hate Apple and iOS, it works flawlessly for flying the P3. I REALLY hate the iPad for anything other than use with a Phantom so having one really shows you how much I find it to work better for flying a P3.

I originally bought a wifi version but then I realized it had no GPS and I hated having to tether my phone to cache maps and all that crap so I switched to a cellular version.

Reactions: MattyDread
I switched to a cellular version.
I also went with an iPad Mini 2 cellular version so I can use the GPS on the device.

FYI, the cell service does not need to be activated in order to use the GPS.

I hate Apple and iOS, it works flawlessly for flying the P3. I REALLY hate the iPad for anything other than use with a Phantom so having one really shows you how much I find it to work better for flying a P3.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^

My thoughts entirely

Reactions: richardseguro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20