Question about flying indoors?

Reaction score
Little background. I've been flying Dji drones for 6 months now. I can fly in atti mode no problem. I fly my little hubsan indoors all the time, I'm actually really good. I want to do a hover in my house when nobody is home(just to be safe). I have a few concerns about settings. Now I know it's a good idea to set rth to "Hover". What I'm not so sure on is flight mode. Do I leave it in P mode? Or should I take off and fly in Atti? Also any other settings I need to set? Any things I should be concerned about? Thank you

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: sideburn
RTH to hover (turn RTH + height back on for outdoors). Set to hover in case something happens. eg your controller turns off by accident.
P-OPTI should appear on the screen for indoor flight. This means the sensors are in use for stable flight.
Make sure the room is bright and read all the warnings.
Also, set to tripod mode for indoors.

Reactions: Steiny26
RTH to hover (turn RTH + height back on for outdoors). Set to hover in case something happens. eg your controller turns off by accident.
P-OPTI should appear on the screen for indoor flight. This means the sensors are in use for stable flight.
Make sure the room is bright and read all the warnings.
Also, set to tripod mode for indoors.
One thing I'm concerned about. Sometimes I pick up sats in my house. Up to 9 and is says gps. If I lose the sats then regain them will the Phantom try to fly to where it lost sats the first time? I don't want it shooting across the room into a wall. :(

One thing I'm concerned about. Sometimes I pick up sats in my house. Up to 9 and is says gps. If I lose the sats then regain them will the Phantom try to fly to where it lost sats the first time? I don't want it shooting across the room into a wall. :(

Once it picks up enough sats, it will attempt make a (inaccurate) home position. There is a chance that the (inaccurate) home position could be 100m away. If RTH is not set to hover, then P4 may attempt to return to its last known home position (it possibly can with 360 obstacle avoidance).. Just set to hover and make sure you have enough indoor lighting for P-OPTI for indoor stabilisation.

If you are really fearful of too many sats picking up, you could always make a tinfoil hat for the phantom. Just get some foil and place on top of phantom. This will block all the GPS above you (it may not block the ones on the side)

Once it picks up enough sats, it will attempt make a (inaccurate) home position. There is a chance that the (inaccurate) home position could be 100m away. If RTH is not set to hover, then P4 may attempt to return to its last known home position (it possibly can with 360 obstacle avoidance).. Just set to hover and make sure you have enough indoor lighting for P-OPTI for indoor stabilisation.

If you are really fearful of too many sats picking up, you could always make a tinfoil hat for the phantom. Just get some foil and place on top of phantom. This will block all the GPS above you (it may not block the ones on the side)
So I stay in P mode. Set rth to hover. Tripod mode. Roger that

Reactions: sideburn
Don't do it......what you will gain will not measure up to what could happen. I don't care what kind of experience you have....what happened to me would not have been prevented by flight experience but would have been avoided by common sense.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: KingDad1985
Don't do it......what you will gain will not measure up to what could happen. I don't care what kind of experience you have....what happened to me would not have been prevented by flight experience but would have been avoided by common sense.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Makes sense. But I've always wanted to do it. Just once. But I haven't always wanted to crash. I really don't feel like sending my P4P back to dji using one on my "do-overs" (dji care refresh) we only get 2. :p. But it sure is tempting.

I knew I read it somewhere. Put the drone on tripod or beginners mode and the infered kicks in and the controls are way slower to operate. Problem solved. You CAN fly indoors contrary to popular belief!

Also use "narrow sensing " if the sensors are being too aggressive and wont let u move. Once u assign it to c1 or c2 and hold that button down it should let u navigate till u let go of button.as always test beforehand outside

Also use "narrow sensing " if the sensors are being too aggressive and wont let u move. Once u assign it to c1 or c2 and hold that button down it should let u navigate till u let go of button.as always test beforehand outside

This is what I did. Assigned C2. Worked fine. Just use tripod mode, RTH hover, p mode and you are good. This thing is pretty amazing indoors.

I fly in my living room every once in a while. The drone will pick up 10 or more satellites inside the house it just takes a little while. Just be careful if you fly in vision mode.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20