Question about Compass Calibration

Reaction score
Hey,

next week I would like to take a flight with the Phantom 2 Vision in a major city (but away from people as I plan to fly at night). What I wonder about is the compass calibration. In the manual it is said to stay far away from big buildings while calibrating because its steel structure might interfere with the compass. What would you recommend to me? Is it safe to fly, if the compass calibration works successfully (meaning no red or yellow light at the end of the procedure) although there were bug buildings all around me? Or might it be better to calibrate it on a field 30km away from the city, take it to the city and fly it without recalibrating? I am afraid to fly the phantom without recalibrating it before every single takeoff. What would you do if you were me regarding the compass calibration?

Thank you!

When flying in the city, how far will you get from the takeoff point?

In addition to distorted magnetic field for the compass, the GPS might not get enough locks.
It might even give bad fixes due to reflections off of buildings.

Might it be best to fly in Atti mode (with no compass or GPS)?

I would like to take pictures of a big cathedral in town. On the North, West and Southside are huge plazas wehre i might get a good gps fix. Distances will be about 180 meters high and 50 meters distance from home. Calibration would take place in my hometown (40km away) or right in that plaza (remember there is a huge(!) cathedral there plus several big buildings and parking garages).

I don't know what would be the best place to calibrate..

Watch out for pickpockets and your personal properties when you're flying in public places...

We'd be such easy target with our attention transfixed to the sky (or even blinded with fpv goggles :p), our quad carrier sprawled on the floor and whatnot, and probably a small crowd around us.

Thats a good tip i actually did not consider yet, thx :) Still i am not sure how to go on. To calibrate or not to calibrate.. This is the question ;)

Calibrate and test at home, then test fly in the cathedral square, and then
only recalibrate the compass if it is not holding position or flying properly?

You may be OK in the piazza unless it's concrete with large rebar in it. If it's grass, or cobblestone, and you are not right up against any other metal objects, you should be OK.

In a city environment, you are probably out of luck in streets between large buildings - not just in getting a gps lock, but also all the large metal objects and magnetic fields from power distribution, etc. Going to a park to calibrate is probably your best bet.

Good luck!

...and to avoid the risk of arrest and/or confiscation of equipment I'd either seek prior permission from city authorities to fly there and show them your insurance (presumably it's a very busy piazza in front of a tourist attraction, full of people) or I'd have a spotter with you to keep an eye out for the police and to show you which is your best getaway path... :shock:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20